Heres a little trick I came up with

Some of you guys may have already thought of this..... In fact there may already be a post about it for all I know, but here it goes

I was trying to get the 32 Mill off last night and was having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to hold the hub from spinning since the motor was out of the bike.

What I did was took two fibers and a steel plate (beat fibers of coarse) and inserted them in the basket like I was installing them (fiber, steel, fiber) then I used to pair of vise grips and grabbed them while they were aligned and still in the basket.

Then I drilled three holes right through all three and used a couple spare phillips head screws to fasten them together. This (once in the basket) will lock the inner clutch hub and the basket together..... obviously.

And lastly, to stop the torque of trying to loosin the nut from spinning the crank, I used a folded up shop rag wedged in between the primary drive gear and the mating Clutch basket gear..... Which from what I could tell seemed to be harmless and worker well.

You can also use this last step to remove the primary drive gears.... Just leave the clutch hub / basket on with the 32mm finger tight and wedge the rag the opposite direction.

Hope this isnt a repost or whatever, more importantly I hope this helps someone who is scratching their head like I was.... :biggrin:

So you guys know, I know there is a tool for this!!!!!!!!!! Didnt have one, and I like not spending money when I dont have to!

Yeah this has been covered before.

But, I think it's cool that you figured it out yourself.

See, Damnitt, I knew someone had to have thought of doing this before.... Oh well, I owned it for that split second that light bulb went off in my head. :cool:

And BltdEyes..... Cordless impacts are gods gift, My buddy has two snap-on ones at work. I'm cave man hand tool status over here in my basement at my house.

Thanks for the tip I was having trouble before and decided to just put it back together because I really had no reason to take the basket off, so I didnt put too much effort into, but I would like to replace the whole clutch at some point. Oh BTW instead of a shop towel a penny works great, just lodge it in the gears, it wont harm them and it comes out by barely spinning the gears with your fingers

I'll stick with my corded milwakee impact and never have to worry about stupid batteries. I hate those things

Unless you bring a generator to the track, trail or dunes...a GOOD name brand cordless is the way to go.

I have an 18V Dewalt impact...the only thing I won't use it for is the flywheel nut. I should say, the only thing I won't use it for AGAIN is the flywheel nut...LOL. OOOPS....

For tires, sprocket changes, etc...cordless impacts are the bomb, flat out.

Used air impact on the clutch nut and let it spin to much after it broke loose and almost fucked up the shaft, "cross threaded" Anybody trying this with high speed impact be Careful!!

that's wierd. how did it crossthread comming off? i've had nuts gaul the threads before