Smokes on Left Side

watkins

Hi All,

Just finished a full teardown/rebuild and seem to be having an issue. The bike starts first kicks and seems to idle fine. However at idle the left side seems to be smoking pretty good and the left side has no smoke coming out whatsoever. The left side pipe also gets warm while the right does not. Now if I rev the bike a small amount of smoke comes out the right and if I ride down the street the bike pulls like a bat out of hell.... so it appears its running...

I have swapped carbs thinking it may be a clogged pilot jet but that didnt do anything. Compression test shows both cylinders around 210PSI. Drained gas tank and put in fresh gas. Swapped plug wires.

Now the bike always smoked a little more on one side, however there is no smoke out the right side and the pipe doesnt get warm at idle.

Any ideas?

Hi All,

Just finished a full teardown/rebuild and seem to be having an issue. The bike starts first kicks and seems to idle fine. However at idle the left side seems to be smoking pretty good and the left side has no smoke coming out whatsoever. The left side pipe also gets warm while the right does not. Now if I rev the bike a small amount of smoke comes out the right and if I ride down the street the bike pulls like a bat out of hell.... so it appears its running...

I have swapped carbs thinking it may be a clogged pilot jet but that didnt do anything. Compression test shows both cylinders around 210PSI. Drained gas tank and put in fresh gas. Swapped plug wires.

Now the bike always smoked a little more on one side, however there is no smoke out the right side and the pipe doesnt get warm at idle.

Any ideas?

did you change your crank seal

Check Carb Sync.. Waaay outa sync (left side was screwed out almost all the way) ... Sync'd them.. started the bike.. still.. no exhaust out the right side. Any other ideas to check?

On a side note.. at WOT should the slides be visible at all or should they be all the way up? When I go WOT the slides still hang down a little bit...

Could this be a reed issue or anything?

Like I said I swapped left & right carbs and that didnt help.. so i dont think it has anything to do with that.. adjusted the carb tops.. so they are in sync really dont know what else to do besides start tearing the motor apart.

Could this be a reed issue or anything?

Like I said I swapped left & right carbs and that didnt help.. so i dont think it has anything to do with that.. adjusted the carb tops.. so they are in sync really dont know what else to do besides start tearing the motor apart.

You said you swapped L/R carbs? I would check to make sure they are in the right spot and the choke tube is in place. They are specific to each side. The left side should have the choke control and the slide inside the carb should have two slots in the top. The right side doesn't have a choke control but will have a choke tube from the left carb. The slide inside should only have one notch in it. I would also check your reeds (make sure they are closing).

Are the plug colors the same? Does it sound like its firing? If they aren't the same color, check your carb boots too.

Hope that helps.

Checked the reeds...

While looking down the intakes with the carbs off, the right side (one not smoking) seemed to burp back fuel (very small amount) when moving the kick starter by hand..

Pulled the intakes, on the right side some of the petals had small (grain of sand) sized pieces of metal under them from a previous blow out so they were unable to close all the way.. maybe.

Think this could have been it? I havent started it yet.

You said you swapped L/R carbs? I would check to make sure they are in the right spot and the choke tube is in place. They are specific to each side. The left side should have the choke control and the slide inside the carb should have two slots in the top. The right side doesn't have a choke control but will have a choke tube from the left carb. The slide inside should only have one notch in it. I would also check your reeds (make sure they are closing).

Are the plug colors the same? Does it sound like its firing? If they aren't the same color, check your carb boots too.

Hope that helps.

These are not stock carbs.. these are PWK's.. L/R side doesnt matter.. no choke tube either.

Watkins, are you doing this just at warm up. Only one carb gets choked. The left side or driver side. When you choke it you are shutting some of the air flow down to richen the circuit. This may be causing the smoke you see. It also will make the left pipe warm up faster. As the right struggles to fire with no choke. Not combusting on every revolution. The pipe takes longer to warm up.

If you kick it in gear and ride it around it should come up to temperature. Then both pipes should feel the same and the smoking issue might always vary a little. If you sit at idle for long periods of time even at temperature the bikes have a tendency to load up, foul out. This will lead to smoke from it loading up. Most people run the jets on the fat side and this is what the bike does.

have you tried changing your pilots yet? maybe with your new build you are off some. since you have pwks start it up pull the choke on the right cylinder and see if it starts firing. if it does that pilot is lean, if not you could try a leaner pilot to see if it helps. also have you pulled your plugs after letting it idle was the right side wet or dry?

Edited by desertdeweller

have you tried changing your pilots yet? maybe with your new build you are off some. since you have pwks start it up pull the choke on the right cylinder and see if it starts firing. if it does that pilot is lean, if not you could try a leaner pilot to see if it helps. also have you pulled your plugs after letting it idle was the right side wet or dry?

Right side plug is wet if I pull it after idle.

Well.. pulled the reeds out.. everything looked fine... except..... on the right side there was a good sized flake of yamabond sitting on top of one of the petals... cleaned the reeds put it back together.. what do you know.. its smoking a bit now out of the right side.

So... could the yamabond have weighed down the reed enough that at idle it couldnt open but allow it to open at 1/2-WOT? Not sure how it was sitting on there not being sucked into the motor.. didnt take much to pull it off.