Idles HIGH at startup...

acfine

My 2002 'shee idles up REAL high when i first start it. It started happening after I did the Coolhead and reeds install. After about 10-15 seconds, it comes back down.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

My mods so far are in my signature if that helps...

Thanks peeps,

Anthony

Edited by acfine

sounds kinda like an air leak or something. usually when cold if you have an airleak, it will want to idle low, cause its too lean for the cold engine. mine wouldn't hold a steady idle and would need all kinds of choke to stay going. i would try 27.5 pilots and check for air leaks. and check to see if the choke is on a little bit or something. now that i think of it, i remember mine idling higher, when the choke was on a little.

My 2002 'shee idles up REAL high when i first start it. It started happening after I did the Coolhead and reeds install. After about 10-15 seconds, it comes back down.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

My mods so far are in my signature if that helps...

Thanks peeps,

Anthony

It sounds like you have the slides swapped from left to right. They fit but only backwards make sure the cutouts are facing towards the back of the bike, or the vac. choke tube between the carbs is not hooked up. If you did anything with the needles make sure the vent holes in the slides aren't blocked by the needle keeper.

It sounds like you have the slides swapped from left to right. They fit but only backwards make sure the cutouts are facing towards the back of the bike, or the vac. choke tube between the carbs is not hooked up. If you did anything with the needles make sure the vent holes in the slides aren't blocked by the needle keeper.

Wouldn't you have to force the slides in if they were backwards, due to them having a "key" to align them, making sure they're not in backwards?

From my experience, if the vac. choke tube between the carbs isn't hooked up, it won't run worth a dang. Mine's just hard to keep idling once warm, and idles real high at startup. Other than that, it runs like a bat outta hell once I get a bit into the throttle. I never even have to use the choke to start it either, and it doesn't appear to be stuck open any... :confused:

then the bottom end/choke circuit is rich. that's why you don't need to choke it to start. the reeds must have richened your bottom end up a tad. try turning the air screws out some and see what happens. what are your pilots at? did it do any of this even a little bit, before the addition of reeds and coolhead?

Wouldn't you have to force the slides in if they were backwards, due to them having a "key" to align them, making sure they're not in backwards?

You can definitely install them backwards, I did it once long long ago, runs like shit trying to start and idle, but by the sound of the issue you are describing, the slides aren't backwards.

then the bottom end/choke circuit is rich. that's why you don't need to choke it to start. the reeds must have richened your bottom end up a tad. try turning the air screws out some and see what happens. what are your pilots at? did it do any of this even a little bit, before the addition of reeds and coolhead?

I'm about 2.5 turns out on the air screws. And no, it did not do this at all before the head and reeds install... :confused: My pilot jets are still 25's. I ordered 27.5 thinking that may help, but haven't installed them yet. I have also added a new throttle cable, maybe that's not as "free" moving as it should be???

Thanks,

Anthony