who does the cheapest porting?

I'm going to be rebuilding within a few months here, and was looking to port around the same time (maybe.)

I'm trying to save the money now to do it....I have stock jugs. I wanted to send it to Kevin though, so I'd have to hear some sweet music. Maybe we can work something out?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, me too, I wanna do a port job for free too. I will go get my light saber..... :biggrin:

Mopar, I will help as much as possible. The best way to get into porting is to "learn" on your own cylinders and go beat up on some people at the track or hand off some "tested" cylinders to someone that can ride them. It is one thing to make clean paths with a porting tool, but "knowing" what you are doing is a different zone. We have just never leaned towards the "see what this does" logic. I think some more books would be in order.

I would recommend, fluid dynamics, laminar flow, venturi effects 101, turbulent air flow and eddy currents, super and sub sonic air flow characteristics 102, thermal dynamics, and maybe a few more.

I would also highly recommend a flow bench with custom fixtures for 2 pokes. Insane the knowledge you can gain from such a device.

All in all, just saying, I would take the "educated" road and the experience and business will come. How could it not if you know more than the next guy on how to port an engine or should I say the fundamentals of port flow characteristics.

brandon

Edited by blowit

everyone who is considering cheap porting should read my thread in general discussion..

Agreed.

Mopar1,

I have a set of stock jugs bored .080. I plan on selling them in the near future. They have a mild port, that actually could have been done a little better. I sent pics of it to Jeff at FAST, and he said there's plenty left to do something with them. How about I ship them to you, and you port them with your template. I'll pay for the stones, and shipping back. Then I'll sell them to someone(preferably someone on this site), and get feedback. Then, I'll give you 25% of the sale if they're what you say they are. Sound fair? It'll get your name out there, which ever way it goes.

X2 I think pep boys is having a sale. I was thinking of auto zone to do my porting there cheap.

you guys keep thinking "cheap"...in terms of quality and not price. prime example....bondhus allen wrenches (like $12 and made in usa w/lifetime warranty) versus snap-on (like 3x as much, still made in usa w/lifetime warranty).better not be knockin down my port job, cause as the photos show...it ain't garbage. nice and even and symetrical.

you're probably one of the stupid ass' that i would find behind the counter, who only knows "this" about the part, as what the computer screen tells you.....what make?.....is it 4X4?....does it have abs?....does the part look like this?.....oh, you said you have a ford and not a gmc.....let's start all over.

Edited by mopar1rules

you guys keep thinking "cheap"...in terms of quality and not price. prime example....bondhus allen wrenches (like $12 and made in usa w/lifetime warranty) versus snap-on (like 3x as much, still made in usa w/lifetime warranty).better not be knockin down my port job, cause as the photos show...it ain't garbage. nice and even and symetrical.

you're probably one of the stupid ass' that i would find behind the counter, who only knows "this" about the part, as what the computer screen tells you.....what make?.....is it 4X4?....does it have abs?....does the part look like this?.....oh, you said you have a ford and not a gmc.....let's start all over.

Um no.. Your analogy is a bit flawed... Since your using tools Ill keep to that forum.. Ok, lets say compression tester.. Buy one at harbor freight.. Reads 130 PSI.. You take a snap-on one where they actually make them with quality parts and methouds based on reserch and design and it reads 145 psi.. Sure it cost more but in turn you got a more accurate and quality product.. My point is just because something "works" doesn't mean they are correct.. And dude, Iam sorry but just bacause you have pics of a clean looking port job doesn't mean squat.. You cant eyeball a set of cylinders and tell much about them or how they will perform.. Hell without taking measurments some of the "pros" are even reluctant to speculate what kinda porting is done.. What you prove with having a set of cyl that are "nice and even and symetrical" is that you know how to do the easiest part.. Look man, I have for the most part sat back and read.. I have admiration for what your trying to acomplish and wish you the best of luck.. It looks like you are taking the right steps in trying to get your name out there.. But don't stomp around flexing your muscles with promises and pictures... Let your work do the talking as many of the "pros" have done.. Oh and like it or not, porting is one of the areas where you USUALLY get what you pay for.. Rather than arguing or denying that stigma you may wanna embrace it.. I bet when you do get some proven cylinders under your belt you will more than likely want to capatolize(not saying screw) on that stigma..

BTW, fellow Mopar nut here :thumbsup:

RIPPEN

Your attitude probably will not get you far in this business. Customer service is as important to many people as the service itself. As I said before, you have some learning to do before you step in as a large player in the porting business. Do not take that as an insult, take it as constructive criticism from an experienced engine builder. "looking" at ports is only a small portion of the equation. I can find "many" jewelers and pottery people that can put a porting guy to shame with fit and finish of ports with there flex shaft tools but do they "know" what they are doing?

If you can find donors, great. I know I would never just dive into someone else's engine without having experience on the subject. The fact that you have not messed with tranfers much concerns me and that IS the largest part of a port job. If you have a banshee, put some hours into it and make it sing.

You probably will run into plenty of opposition on this site but how you handle it determines your character and if people will choose to work with you. I don't think you will find too many people to just hand over a set of cylinders for you to practice on. I strongly recommend you "buy" a few used sets and get at it.

Just FYI on how we started porting 10yrs ago. We developed some very basic calculators in Excel to determine optimal setups based on "MATH". This is way before we ever touched a cylinder. Only when you fully understand how to optimize performance, will you learn how to make things really fast. You bet there is some trial and error but when we want to test a new concept, we buy cylinders and get to work. We don't just add these new concepts to a customer's motor and hope it works. I have not heard any mention of compression ratios, timing, blow down, etc. These are rather important things.

K, I will get off the soap box now.

Brandon

Mull Engineering

You probably will run into plenty of opposition on this site but how you handle it determines your character and if people will choose to work with you. I don't think you will find too many people to just hand over a set of cylinders for you to practice on. I strongly recommend you "buy" a few used sets and get at it.

i think you think that i have only done this 1 set of cylinders and that i will be experienting different things on peoples cylinders. i won't. i'll only do what the template says. people have told me its cheating. i don't see it any different then the guys who use tsr to get their porting data. the tsr is simply a tool, to help you in a engine build, like my template. i have done snowmobile cylinders too, using the race logic templates. i know that the stage 3 templates i have, raise the exhaust port 1mm, which would make the rpm that "peak" power is derived at, a little higher, and make the engine more "peaky", so more suited to duneing or playing around....hence dune/play port. a woods port i'm going to guess has wide transfers, and maybe a little wider exhaust port, but not raised, as to keep the power curve more broad and not "peaky"....ideal for twisty trails. hence woods/mx port i kinda feel that if you are still able to get the air/fuel out of the cylinder quicker, w/larger intakes and exhaust, that the pipe can help draw more fuel mixture up thru the transfers, even tho the transfers didn't get largened. kinda like when you have your stock 26mm carbs and you get it ported. your shee will have more power and will pull harder, cause of the porting, even tho you never increased the carb size. yes, you would gain more with opening up the transfers (and carb size), but there is still a decent gain to be had, w/working on the exhaust and intakes only. doesn't mean i won't experiment w/ the transfers, or say that playing w/the transfers is silly....not at all. i will be playing around more w/the transfers on my shee this spring.....too busy w/snowmobile stuff right now.

i think you think that i have only done this 1 set of cylinders and that i will be experienting different things on peoples cylinders. i won't. i'll only do what the template says. people have told me its cheating. i don't see it any different then the guys who use tsr to get their porting data. the tsr is simply a tool, to help you in a engine build, like my template. i have done snowmobile cylinders too, using the race logic templates. i know that the stage 3 templates i have, raise the exhaust port 1mm, which would make the rpm that "peak" power is derived at, a little higher, and make the engine more "peaky", so more suited to duneing or playing around....hence dune/play port. a woods port i'm going to guess has wide transfers, and maybe a little wider exhaust port, but not raised, as to keep the power curve more broad and not "peaky"....ideal for twisty trails. hence woods/mx port i kinda feel that if you are still able to get the air/fuel out of the cylinder quicker, w/larger intakes and exhaust, that the pipe can help draw more fuel mixture up thru the transfers, even tho the transfers didn't get largened. kinda like when you have your stock 26mm carbs and you get it ported. your shee will have more power and will pull harder, cause of the porting, even tho you never increased the carb size. yes, you would gain more with opening up the transfers (and carb size), but there is still a decent gain to be had, w/working on the exhaust and intakes only. doesn't mean i won't experiment w/ the transfers, or say that playing w/the transfers is silly....not at all. i will be playing around more w/the transfers on my shee this spring.....too busy w/snowmobile stuff right now.

i do not mean for this to be a rude comment at all towards you mopar, but honestly if the only thing you have ported 'banshee' wise is your banshee with a "stage 3" template then i would take blowit's advice and do a lot more reading on just the basic's of 2 strokes. i think you need to put yourself in the customers shoes. How would you feel if you sent your cylinders to a guy that just copies a template? Again no harm intended here, i would just hate to see you get your first job and the customer be unhappy cause honestly almost anyone can do the port job you have done just by reading this post with no special tools.