Cermaic Coating

NEED TO READ

This is for some of the newer guys on here just to help out, and I thought it would be a cool little trick to post. I found a pretty good way to ceramic coat your pipes or whatever you want that can be done at your house. This is not as quality as getting it profesionally done but it does work and holds up pretty well, or it has for me atleast. Duplicolor has a high heat paint called "Duplicolor High Heat with ceramic" it's thhe 1200 degree formula. Prep whatever surface your going to be using with a scotch brite pad or I used 220 grit sand paper. Rinse it off with some water and dry, or use a prepwipe pad. Do this in a place that is 60-92F preferably 68-72F. Then paint your part, do three coats 2 light and the last a little heavier, allow only about 10 minutes in between coats. If you need to flip the part over and do the other side then wiat 3 hours for paint to cure a little bit. once it is painted to your satisfaction give it a day or so to cure. After this cure it in an oven for 2 hours at 300F or an hour and a half at 400F then let it cool. This step needs to be done with windows open and fans blowing the smoke out the windows because it will create smoke but not alot. Once it has cooled it is ready to install. I have only tried this on exhaust but am going to try it on cylinders and my head. In case you forget what to do it is on the back of the Duplicolor spray can, they have multiple colors, so if you can't afford to get it professionally done or your a do it yourself kind of guy, try this!

Edited by 278

NEED TO READ

This is for some of the newer guys on here just to help out, and I thought it would be a cool little trick to post. I found a pretty good way to ceramic coat your pipes or whatever you want that can be done at your house. This is not as quality as getting it profesionally done but it does work and holds up pretty well, or it has for me atleast. Duplicolor has a high heat paint called "Duplicolor High Heat with ceramic" it's thhe 1200 degree formula. Prep whatever surface your going to be using with a scotch brite pad or I used 220 grit sand paper. Rinse it off with some water and dry, or use a prepwipe pad. Do this in a place that is 60-92F preferably 68-72F. Then paint your part, do three coats 2 light and the last a little heavier, allow only about 10 minutes in between coats. If you need to flip the part over and do the other side then wiat 3 hours for paint to cure a little bit. once it is painted to your satisfaction give it a day or so to cure. After this cure it in an oven for 2 hours at 300F or an hour and a half at 400F then let it cool. This step needs to be done with windows open and fans blowing the smoke out the windows because it will create smoke but not alot. Once it has cooled it is ready to install. I have only tried this on exhaust but am going to try it on cylinders and my head. In case you forget what to do it is on the back of the Duplicolor spray can, they have multiple colors, so if you can't afford to get it professionally done or your a do it yourself kind of guy, try this!

do you have any pics of the finished product

Yeah haha I havnt tried it on a frame but Its worth a try, it took like i think it was $12 on the paint to do my pipes silencers like in the pics, that was with 3 cans and I think it took like 1 1/2 or 2 cans to do them. I am going to use the rest on my cylinders like i said once I get them back and I want to do a little research and developement and try them on other metal perts, its almost like powder coating though the parts have to be able to with stand the heat

i did almost the samething only i sand blasted them and put 3 coats of header paint on them i took 2 cans $20 but ut was worth it the paint lasts good to i rode it about 5 times after they were painted and washed it after every ride and they didnt fade in color or anything

post-29328-1222300718_thumb.jpg

Yeah I did. I just wiped out the oven after it, even though there was no residue or anything i did just to be safe. It give off a little smoke for like the first 30 minutes, but other than that I didnt notice anything so I dont really see any problem. like i said i didnt notice anyresidue but if there is I'm sure I got rid of it by wiping it out. If your worried about it use some like clorox clean-up or something, that should work.

• 1 month later...