Buying cheap rims

pittss1c

I need to buy new rear tires and am considering Razr MX.

I was wondering if it is a bad idea to use cheap rims.

I was thinking it would be nice to have the tires arrive mounted and ready to go, and if I buy cheap rims it doesn't change the price much. (probably less thean the cost to get them mounted)

Will I likely see problems if I get douglas .125 or .160 rims riding light MX and some trails?

What will go wrong? bend them easily?

do the cheap ITP rims do any better?

Are the rims you have now bad? If not, why cant you just buy tires and mount them yourself? Tire irons cost about $10 for a pair, and you can brake the bead if you have a truck. Do just 2 wheels a day, or even 1 a day, and its not that bad. If you have good rims thats what I would do. Ive changed many a old tires with nothing but tire irons a truck and some elbow grease.

Your little mom and pop tire stores will dismount and mount them for almost nothing, infact I go to a place that has done it for me like 4 times in a row without charging me a dime. Just a thought, if yours are in good shape. :shrug:

I got 160's on my banshee. The Rears do OK but i usually seem to bend the outside lip on the fronts. I brush a tree. I dont even remeber where I do it at because it isnt that hard of a hit. Most of the time when you bend a rim you will KNOW or REMEBER exactly where it happend at. It just bends the lip out so I take a hammer or plastic dead blow hammer and tap it back.

Get the 190's you shouldnt have a problem. You can also buy wheels tha have the rolled lip for strength like the stock wheels have.

josh

Buy a set of HIPERS and never buy another rim again. LOL oh you said cheap. No seriously. I ride rocky trails. I went through 3 sets of rims in 2 years. I just took the dive and got theses HIPERS. I might have to replace a worn ring every once in a while but they should last longer that the quad does and you can change the tires with a socket and rachet. I think it was one of the best additions to my shee.

ITP rims aren't bad compared to Douglas I don't think, I have run both and no real issues. As others said the .125 are really only good for TT/ST, drag, etc. where light weight is paramount, they won't last on trails. The .160s are good for dunes, although I have dinged mine a couple times. The .190 are good for trails & MX type riding, although I completely taco'd an ITP hitting a stump once. Those hipers are sick, wish I could afford 'em. For the desert I was running plain ITP .190's with rings welded in...I managed to bend one of those fuckers too now that I think about it. Cheapest route is probably stock rims, they are decent, fairly light, rolled lip, probably somewhere close to .190 in thickness, etc. And yes it is worth having the tires already mounted on rims for a spare set or second set, those things are a BITCH to break the bead on, I tried once with my truck and gave up...