Do it yourself porting

klemet banshee

ive been told that you can port with just a dremel? i want to port it a little bit but i dont have the money to have a shop do it

Save your money and have them done,Cylinders are a math equasion being swayed by a tool to do different things at different points.Dont hackem,You will end up buying new cylinders if you dont know what your doing.If you want an idea on whats involved Im sure someone on youtube may have some info to look at..Good luck........

I use a variable speed dremel with a flex shaft adjustment, and one of these also that I got for around $60.00 with an adjustble speed pedal. I have a 100 degree pencil air grinder, and a mini air grinder too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=40432

You can hand port a set of heads for a V8 engine. I know because I have done it, but a two stoke engine can't be done by hand. You definitely need a pro with a computer based program to optimize the cylinder flow. Don't cut corners on this one. You'll only screw your engine up.

You can hand port a set of heads for a V8 engine. I know because I have done it, but a two stoke engine can't be done by hand. You definitely need a pro with a computer based program to optimize the cylinder flow. Don't cut corners on this one. You'll only screw your engine up.

FALSE. ALL the two stroke engine formulas can be done by hand. You dont have to move ports up and down to make a set of stock cylinders work better for you. Widening ports, increase tunnel size, and sharpening some things in the cylinder will wake a bike right up.

Lots of reading and a good understanding of what your doing and it's possible. I've known a few people that have been successful doing their own porting but if you have to ask then you don't need to be doing it. There's alot more involved than just make this hole and that hole bigger. Save some coin and grief and send them to someone who has a good reputation.

Air dremmels work nice also.

Hate to highjack but anyone put or seen boost ports in stock banshee jugs? Think that's the term for them but if not i'm talking about holes that run from the intake to the transfer ports on each side.

Opeaing the ports on a 2 stroke motor changes when the exhaust goes out, and the fresh fuel and air come in.

OK, so whats your point? I told him he didn't have to move ports up or down to make a banshee run better. If you widen them, it changes port velocity and flow. That doesn't change port duration or timing though. You should have just put a smiley face on that post, cause it was worthless. :biggrin:

Everyone has to start somewhere, there was a time when I hadn't ported a motor. There is other people on here who I know of that have ported their own motors. All these guys have been at motor count ZERO, and put one notch in their belt. Are we all a bunch of negative Nancies to where we are going to tell someone they can't or shouldn't do something?

I say do your homework, read some books, ask some questions, and do it yourself. I feel alot better doing things myself and having the knowledge. Anyone can go out and drop some cash to HAVE someone do something for you.

You can get fair gains out of your motor by widening the exhaust and transfer ports. Just don't grind on the floor or ceiling of the ports because you will affect the timing. You can also smooth out all the rough cast marks and add a semi-sharp front edge to the intake bridge. Also polish the EXHAUST port (only) the best you can. Don't forget to chamfer any sharp edges on the I.D. of the cylinder bore.

I believe everyone will agree that this will give you some decent gains for cheap.

Edited by mawcusb

OK, so whats your point? I told him he didn't have to move ports up or down to make a banshee run better. If you widen them, it changes port velocity and flow. That doesn't change port duration or timing though. You should have just put a smiley face on that post, cause it was worthless. :biggrin:

Everyone has to start somewhere, there was a time when I hadn't ported a motor. There is other people on here who I know of that have ported their own motors. All these guys have been at motor count ZERO, and put one notch in their belt. Are we all a bunch of negative Nancies to where we are going to tell someone they can't or shouldn't do something?

I say do your homework, read some books, ask some questions, and do it yourself. I feel alot better doing things myself and having the knowledge. Anyone can go out and drop some cash to HAVE someone do something for you.

I agree, there is no reason you cant learn to do anything yourself. Especially in this case, I've seen it done before. I never pay the man if I can help it unless the cost of the tools is more than paying the man.

snope, i agree 100%. hey to all you "negative nancies" (that was funny snope), this year i ported my engine myself. i bought a race logic stage 3 template from snope and just followed the template ot a "t". i got some pics sent to me from another individual on here, so i had a better understanding of what needed to be done. i asked snope and some other fellows some questions and got some books, read the books, and had a very, very good understanding of what i was doing. you have to start and learn somewhere. i did just that. i took my time on the porting (11.5 hrs) and it turned out great. front end comes up without trying. :smile: i ported the engine with what's in the pics. you don't need to spend the $ to have someone else do it. i did it myself, learned something in the process, and will now for sure never have anyone else do it, cause i know i can. hey "negative nancies", with the $350 that i saved by doing my own porting, i can put towards a fresh top end (when the time comes) and it will be like i got it for free. :thumbsup:

post-28676-1221349398.jpg

Edited by mopar1rules