did the search i need help

pt950

was riding for hours then it started popping on rt side then died.let sit for a few min and starts with full power then pops and dies.i turned drain screws on carbs and it dumps fuel just fine.what should i check?

need help please.unpluged the tors box and that didnt help.please help

Sounds like something not so good happened inside your cylinder. If it were my bike I'd throw a compression tester on there ASAP and go from there.

There are a couple things I can think of off the top of my head but a compression test will tell you where the problem is for sure.

1- The cylinder leaned out and you burned it up.

2- The reed petal broke, or is bad.

3- The carb is way way out of adjustment.

Those are the 3 most common things, but like I said you wan to check the compression, if it's really low in that cylinder you probably burned it up. Also check the plugs too, and see what they look like. They should be a brownish/black. Usually if you blow up the bike or its running too hot they will be a greyish color. Obviously, make sure the plugs are good too.

thanks for the help i will check compression tom, the thing is tho is when it runs its strong but i will check the comp , it feels like its starving for gas when you let it sit it will start up run strong for 1 min then start poping on rt side then die

thank you for the response

Hmmm, you running a stock head? If so, the compression is just OK, shouldnt make it run like that though.

I'd say yeah, check the carbs, I let them soak in a big coffee can full of carb cleaner overnight. Also, the brass part that the needle goes through taps out through the top the carb. Tap it out, and clean out all the green gunk. Sounds like a carb/reed issue now.

removed carbs ,checked reeds, cleaned carbs ,reeds looked ok thou there was alot of black carbon behind the reed cages.cleaned that.reinstalled carbs etc fueled up started up and ran great for 3 min then poping on both sides and when you feel the exaust theres a little bit and when it pops a big amount of exaust comes out .whats next guys :confused:

please tell me you didn't use the same plugs you took out. does it star right back up or take aw while? and only wen hot or cold or both? sounds to me like its loading up with fuel or does it winde up before dieing.

if its now both my gues would be electrical. check all ur plugs and cconnector and wiring for melted wires

This does not 100% sound like air/fuel to me... Do you have any way to test another Stator/Coil/CDI.. You may be

getting spark, but under load it may be partially failing. I have heard of stators flaking out after they get warmed up?

Sorry I dont have much more to add... Good luck. When you get it figured out, and you will be sure to tell us what it

was that caused you these woes...

well i still need help

did comp check 108 on both sides

i cleaned the carbs

i changed the spark plugs

checked the tube between the carbs

checked the kill and key switch

disconnected the tors

found out that the previous owner zip tied the coil on

bought used cdi coil regulator swapped all of them

the bike ran for 3 min idled ok and then died

wtf?? i need some help here guys should i get a stator?? checked it its ok with an ohm meter

this time it ran no popping just died wont re start :confused:

well i still need help

did comp check 108 on both sides

i cleaned the carbs

i changed the spark plugs

checked the tube between the carbs

checked the kill and key switch

disconnected the tors

found out that the previous owner zip tied the coil on

bought used cdi coil regulator swapped all of them

the bike ran for 3 min idled ok and then died

wtf?? i need some help here guys should i get a stator?? checked it its ok with an ohm meter

this time it ran no popping just died wont re start :confused:

Dude, that sucks... Ok, to try and further rule out air/fuel before you drop $$ on a stator...

Verify that that the gas cap itself is venting, and the gas cap tube is not clogged. I know this

sounds dumb, and I'm not being insulting, but be sure the gas is on, if it is, try to verify the

petcock is 100% operational, be sure that the gas line from the tank is not bent or kinked, also

be sure where it goes from the (T) to the left and right carbs are not pushed down to far on to

where it goes on the carbs as to cause to great a bend or kink in the line. If all this checks out

try to verify the screen filter in the tank in not blocked. The fact that the bike runs for 3 minutes

does not sound like a timing issue to me. Maybe it is the stator? There really is no way to tell

unless you try swapping it. You will either have a bunch of spare parts or maybe you can sell

them... I got nothin else that makes any sense for you to try. Good luck, and please let us

know what it ends up being...

Edited by mdhc500