Rear Elka Dual Rate - Setup?

ozbanshee

:biggrin: Is anyone running the Elka Dual Rate rear shock? I have just bought one and fitted it on the weekend. I had to apply a lot of preload just to get the bike to sit level without any load. The top spring is fully compressed/coil bound just to get the ride height correct. I spoke to the dealer and he says that is normal and the top spring only provides assistance when the wheel leave the ground and the shock extends. Does this sound right?

It looks to me that you made it a single spring buy squishing the top one down like that.? The top spring has to be able to compress and release to do its job. Looks like you don't have it valved or sprung correctly for your weight. Thats a really nice shock by the way :thumbsup:

Ryan

It looks to me that you made it a single spring buy squishing the top one down like that.? The top spring has to be able to compress and release to do its job. Looks like you don't have it valved or sprung correctly for your weight. Thats a really nice shock by the way :thumbsup:

Ryan

Yeah i think something may have been set up wrong at the factory. The dealer has been really cool so far, i have forwarded more photos and ride height to him and he is talking with Elka in Canada about it.

Hope i can get it sorted soon. Have a big weekend away planned with about 8 other quads at the end of September. It took three weeks to get it over to me the first time, i live on the West Coast of Australia.

cheers for the feedback. :blush:

Yeah i think something may have been set up wrong at the factory. The dealer has been really cool so far, i have forwarded more photos and ride height to him and he is talking with Elka in Canada about it.

Hope i can get it sorted soon. Have a big weekend away planned with about 8 other quads at the end of September. It took three weeks to get it over to me the first time, i live on the West Coast of Australia.

cheers for the feedback. :blush:

Let me know how this turns out for you. Mine is the EXACT same way on one of my banshees and i am wondering if the secondary (sagging spring) is too light, the main spring is too light, or both.

the small top spring is the ssd spring( self saging device) it alows the bike to sit low and still maintain full travel, remember that the spring is mainly to hold the bike up and the ride qulity is based on the valving of the shock, so while your on the gound it sitn low but when you jump the shock fully extends and gives you full travel when you land

the small top spring is the ssd spring( self saging device) it alows the bike to sit low and still maintain full travel, remember that the spring is mainly to hold the bike up and the ride qulity is based on the valving of the shock, so while your on the gound it sitn low but when you jump the shock fully extends and gives you full travel when you land

I spoke to the supplier on Friday and Elka say the same thing, he asked me to try it and make sure i'm happy.

Rode it yesterday and wish i had bought this thing 5 years ago, i would have to say that it isby far the best money i have spent on the quad to date. I highly recommend it to anyone considering and upgrade.

Thanks for your input guys and happy ridin.