V Force Reeds

I picked up stock ported cages w/ new reeds.

Saved me about $250.

You will NOT see the same performance gains w/ stock ported cages over the VF2's or 3's. I've run all three, and the ported stockers were noticeably slower in throttle response, and power compared to the v-forces. Yes, the stock ported cages w/ new reeds (depending on what kind) WILL be an improvement over stock, but they are definitely no v-force setup. You get what you pay for w/ the stock ported cages.

I personally didn't notice much difference between the v-force 2's and 3's, other than the 3's are much easier to change the reeds out, and they seem to have a slightly larger inlet. The 2's and 3's petals are NOT interchangeable.

I have V3's in my 98............

I have stock cages and carbon fiber reeds in my 00............

There is a HUGE difference in throttle response and power, the 3's seem to be more mid to high increase, but it's a night and day difference between the two. Well worth the $$$$$$ for the V3's.

I have stock cages with Boyesson reeds right now.

I just picked up V Force 2 Reeds at a good price from a fellow member.

I plan on getting the VF3's in the future.

So do you guys think it will be a big improvement from the stock cages/Boyesson reeds petal setup to the VF2's???

Thanks guys, very good talk here so far.

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

I'm not going to argue that ported stocks are better than VF3s, that's just not true.

This is my thought proccess:

I spend $300 on VF3s, and see a snappier throttle.

I spend $50 on ported cage w/ reeds, and see a snappier throttle.

Is the minimal gains worth $250 more?

That's up to the consumer.

I'd rather have ported stockers, and put the extra cash towards a port.

Already ported? Then I guess get VF3s.

So do you guys think it will be a big improvement from the stock cages/Boyesson reeds petal setup to the VF2's???

Thanks guys, very good talk here so far.

I dont think you'll see/feel much of a improvement with your motor/setup.. The VF cages really start to shine on the drag ported and bigger built motors that call for more air/fuel. I had a mild build dune shee and switched from boyesen reeds to VF2's and I didn't see/feel any gain.. Dyno might have showed something.. but didn't feel anything by the seat of the pants..

vf3 are is a great reed setup.. but on a smaller motor or non ported i dont know how much of a difference youll feel. once you go with some porting or a 4mm setup youll def ned them. they are a sound investment anyway though.. sooner or later you will build your motor and youll need them anyway..

I dont think you'll see/feel much of a improvement with your motor/setup.. The VF cages really start to shine on the drag ported and bigger built motors that call for more air/fuel. I had a mild build dune shee and switched from boyesen reeds to VF2's and I didn't see/feel any gain.. Dyno might have showed something.. but didn't feel anything by the seat of the pants..

what he said

I'm not going to argue that ported stocks are better than VF3s, that's just not true.

This is my thought proccess:

I spend $300 on VF3s, and see a snappier throttle.

I spend $50 on ported cage w/ reeds, and see a snappier throttle.

Is the minimal gains worth $250 more?

That's up to the consumer.

I'd rather have ported stockers, and put the extra cash towards a port.

Already ported? Then I guess get VF3s.

Where the heck are you buying your reeds from? New VF3's are $189

You will NOT see the same performance gains w/ stock ported cages over the VF2's or 3's. I've run all three, and the ported stockers were noticeably slower in throttle response, and power compared to the v-forces. Yes, the stock ported cages w/ new reeds (depending on what kind) WILL be an improvement over stock, but they are definitely no v-force setup. You get what you pay for w/ the stock ported cages.

I personally didn't notice much difference between the v-force 2's and 3's, other than the 3's are much easier to change the reeds out, and they seem to have a slightly larger inlet. The 2's and 3's petals are NOT interchangeable.

Really??? My engine is very very mild compared to your setup, and I just run trails, But Ive had Stockers, VF3s, and Boyesen's. I could barely tell a difference. The throttle seemed a little snappier, but that was about it. The Boyesen cages seeme to hold the petals longer then my VF3s or stockers so thats why I ended up sticking with those on my build bike.

Really??? My engine is very very mild compared to your setup, and I just run trails, But Ive had Stockers, VF3s, and Boyesen's. I could barely tell a difference. The throttle seemed a little snappier, but that was about it. The Boyesen cages seeme to hold the petals longer then my VF3s or stockers so thats why I ended up sticking with those on my build bike.

I got to thinking after reading some of the other posts in here and there's a great point being made, I'm making my references from running the reeds on ported engines, one with a full out drag port and the other with a mild port job, and that IS going to make a difference in how much changing the reeds will make. The majority of my testing was done on the drag bike. I didn't think about it earlier, but it definitely makes sense. In the future I need to make sure I add that info or make note of it.