Gear Oil

Got back from a short ride today and as I was pulling back into the shop my shee started spitting gear oil out the back of the case (the breather tube). The funny thing was is that it was a chalky/milky pink color. I use Bel-Ray gear lube 80w and it is a red color to begin with. I don't think that any coolant was involved because my coolant level hasn't dropped at all. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

SheeBlue01

Kinda look like strawberry milk? If so you got coolant in your tranny oil. Which would also cause the pressure to push it out the overflow tubes. Time to check your water pump seal.

I really don't know how long it has been blown but I don't think it could have been very long. The engine might have 5 hours on it. So I drained the gear oil and there is fresh gear oil sitting in there now, until Friday when I have time to tear into it and find out what happened. Do you all think that the crank bearings will survive?

I Would imagine they would be ok. the coolant would just thin out the mixture. even so, coolant has lubricants in it. unless you were drag racing or getting extreme, i wouldnt really worry bout the bearings with that short of a time span and witht the trans being full of lube to begin with. may want to wait for other's opinions, but i dont see it as a threat, unless ur bike is real serious

Your crank has a seal on it, so it shouldnt allow the water and oil to get into the crank. Unless of course your crank seal is bad also. You should be alright. Most likely its just the water pump seal. When the motor was rebuilt did it get a new water pump seal also? You said 5 hours on it, I'm assuming you rebuilt it, but I guess it could still be new.

Your crank has a seal on it, so it shouldnt allow the water and oil to get into the crank. Unless of course your crank seal is bad also. You should be alright. Most likely its just the water pump seal. When the motor was rebuilt did it get a new water pump seal also? You said 5 hours on it, I'm assuming you rebuilt it, but I guess it could still be new.

I don't know if it has a new water pump seal or not. Jim at Passion rebuilt both bottom and top ends of the motor for me.

I don't know if it has a new water pump seal or not. Jim at Passion rebuilt both bottom and top ends of the motor for me.

Water Pump seal is shot. That is coolant in your gear oil. Your clutch has lost life. Pressure test the coolant system with the drain plug off of the tranny.

If you are losing pressure this is all fixable but a pain.

Water Pump seal is shot. That is coolant in your gear oil. Your clutch has lost life. Pressure test the coolant system with the drain plug off of the tranny.

If you are losing pressure this is all fixable but a pain.

Any ideas on how I can clean all of the strawberry milk (coolant/gear lube) out of the case? I was thinking about denatured alcohol. It should soak up most of the "water" moisture. I have the clutch cover and the impeller out. When you say it is the water pump seal, i am guessing you mean the rubber piece mounted in the case cover that the impeller sits in?

Any ideas on how I can clean all of the strawberry milk (coolant/gear lube) out of the case? I was thinking about denatured alcohol. It should soak up most of the "water" moisture. I have the clutch cover and the impeller out. When you say it is the water pump seal, i am guessing you mean the rubber piece mounted in the case cover that the impeller sits in?

Run ATF (Automatic Trans Fluid) through it for about an hour riding and drain. That will get most of it out, the rest will come out in time as you change the gear oil regularly.

Here is the schematic for your water pump:

WaterPump Schematic

Part Number 3 is what is probably done. Also buy a new bearing when replacing the seal.