high rpm miss?

u may remember my coincidence or not thread...... buddy of mine has a 03 with T5s ported cylinders, vf3's, 36mm keihns pwk's and uni pods that he recently bought. neways at high rpms its like its missing or cutting out and popping....smokes way more than mine and mainly from his right pipe....we changed plugs and it stopped for a while then started back, from looking at his plugs i thought it looked like it was running rich they were dark black and oily only brown on very tip of electrode? hence the extra smoke but he says it just started doing it.... compression is good..... and we cleaned filters etc..... where would u guys start looking first?

u may remember my coincidence or not thread...... buddy of mine has a 03 with T5s ported cylinders, vf3's, 36mm keihns pwk's and uni pods that he recently bought. neways at high rpms its like its missing or cutting out and popping....smokes way more than mine and mainly from his right pipe....we changed plugs and it stopped for a while then started back, from looking at his plugs i thought it looked like it was running rich they were dark black and oily only brown on very tip of electrode? hence the extra smoke but he says it just started doing it.... compression is good..... and we cleaned filters etc..... where would u guys start looking first?

both plugs are oily? at first i would think a crank seal, if only one side was oily and smoking. but first, i would check the simple stuff. check the coil, caps& wires, stator pickup gap, and bad fuel/oil. did it recently get alot warmer out?

try fresh fuel and a leaner oil mix i dont know what u run but try a 32 instead of a 24 or a 40 instead of a 32 etc wouldnt go any leaner than 50 also check your coolent you could be burnen it. if you think yourburnen tranny fluid then keep an eye on it! that sucks when you burn all that off and burn up a tranny.

i dont see how it could be an ignition problem but i could be wrong

ok well i told him to take carbs off and clean them good and let me know what size mains it had in it so i could let yall know. He said they had 18 on them and thats it..... Doesnt sound right to me... whats with the 18?

also we are at 200ft asl, he has T5's, ported cylinders, shaved head (so he was told) he dont know if it has timing plate, hasnt looked) 36mm keihn pwk's, vforce 3's and uni pods..... where should he start with the main? thanks again guys i dont know much about the aftermarket carbs so i couldnt offer a suggestion.

no one running pwks with similar mods?

i would post pics of plugs for ya but there is not high speed internet avail in my area till April so they say. And fucc dial-up.... ive made 70 posts with my cell, talk about some dedication... got to be worth something hahahhahah

Thanks man! ill def let him know.... were gonna put my coil on his tomm and rule that out, but i keep tellin him its jetting. It smoked more than mine in the winter, now its like a fuccin freight train lol since it has warmed up. mine hardly smokes at all except when i first start it but i need to step up to at least 300-310 mains.... i got 260s in it now.... checked the other day.

It sounds like the top end is rich. Going to a leaner pre-mix will acctually richen the jetting. If it's smoking more on one side you need to look into carb sync first. Plug chop it and see what that tells you. If you're not sure how to do a plug chop, do a search or PM me.

Thanks guys for all the help and input.... i finally got to pull the bowls and check his carbs myself and he had 180 mains.... we went and picked up some 160 jets and she screams now without a miss at all actually local builder said the same thing, that the 180 were waaaaaaaay to big and he recommended 160s as well..... so hopefully that fixed his issue....also it smokes alot less than before, about like mine now.... Brandon ima have to get with ya on the plug chop, never done one, just the old hold it wide open and shut it off test lol