desert banshee mods

prossett

Looking to cover distance over sand dunes, these are my mods - your comments welcome.

http://picasaweb.google.com/prossett/BansheeMods#

Duncan Racing powerhead

DSC01672.JPG

20L expedition gas tank (5 US gallons

DSC01681.JPG

twist throttle

DSC01675.JPG

racing handlebars

DSC01676.JPG

auto emergency cut-off if rider comes off

DSC01677.JPG

front gas shocks with external reservoir

DSC01673.JPG

radiator overflow bottle

DSC01674.JPG

foot net

DSC01678.JPG

rear grab handle

DSC01679.JPG

now trying to install cargo bag...

DSC01691.JPG

Oh, also the front fenders are cut.

Edited by prossett

Pretty cool, those tanks are HUGE

Did you just wanna post your ride up or did you need something...lol

LOL - well, just showing you guys what I've got and hoping someone will say Oh, but you should do this or that or that's not gonna help or this would be better, whatever.

If not, I know I like seeing pics of what other people have done to their banshees 8)

Anything else I should mod for riding dunes long distance?

I actually just took off exposed K&N filters and open racing pipes, and reduced the jet to 190.

DUNES dunes or just sandy desert? Competitive speeds or just cruising? You more concerned about covering distance or performance?

^^^^THATS important. i absolutely LOVE baja bikes. looks like you have done a good job but im sure there is more you could do. skid plates, maybe long travel rear dog bone(i think it'd help), maybe some hella lights if you gonna ride at night(plus they look awesome), im not sure never done it sorry cant help. but baja is the shit man. thats what kind of riding i wanna do. love it :notworthy::notworthy:

prob gonna wanna nice comfy seat lol. some fasst handlebars would be nice, guess im just thinkin about comfort but it would be important on long ride.

steering stabalizer will help a lot on the long trips. a desert seat is nice also gives you a couple more inches of foam under your keister. But it does make you sit higher so if you don`t like the thought of that you might want to skip it. I have a desert seat plus a taller stem. underbody skid is really nice if your hitting a lot of rocks in washes. Lighter springs in the carbs to help reduce the effort for the throttle, helps reduce fatigue. I also like to run my shocks a tad on the soft side.If you typically don`t see big air stuff or only every great once in awhile. So I soften it up to help eliminate more of the small and medium bumps again to reduce fatigue. Another good thing a camelback, I have mine zip tied to my chest protector a couple of extra loose zip ties on the top shoulder area to run the drink hose. over the top of the sholder to hold it there. Then I have a hole in one of the vent holes of the helmet mouth piece I run the drink tube through that and put the bite valve on the inside. that will hold it inside the helmet so you don`t have to fumble for it. When you want a drink you just push it toward your mouth. But you do kinda look like an alien with the helmet and tube coming out the front. A small assortment of tools bailing wire, zip ties and maybe even a can of fix a flat and some tire plugs in your bag. one more thing a tie down or tow rope of some sort. Put in your bag or tie it on the frame someplace.

Well man, pipes I think would be important. You cant go far with stock power.

Really desert racing is mostly about staying comfortable for a very long time while being in some of the toughest conditions. So like was said, steering stabilizer, suspension is the number one thing. Long travel is key but looks like you already have some front shocks. Gearing as well. IF you are gonna be at high speeds for a long period of time I would try a taller gearing ratio.

Tools so you can get home and water were already mentioned. might want to make sure it will run cool as well, mine has a tendency to over heat when I am in the dunes to maybe an oversized radiator would help, with a billet impeller.

lots of little stuff that adds up.

• 3 weeks later...