What did I get myself into?

abqjt

To start - I have a compulsive buying problem. I'm also long winded, so please bear with my ramblings. 

I had an itch this summer for some dirt toys. I went from owning nothing two months ago to having 2 dirtbikes and 3 quads in the driveway as of today. I'm cheap so I buy used. I sometimes buy projects, because in general I have the skills and tools to fix things. All I need is more time and money...

Yesterday, I picked up a banshee I agreed to buy that was in another state, because late at night I make commitments I probably shouldn't. It is like old women with the QVC network, but far worse. 

The bike - 1996 Banshee. Ugly with bad spray paint work. 

The mods (as I've been told) -

421 cub kit, cool heads, 38mm carbs, Titanium radiator, t5 toomey pipes, geared to a 3.38 ratio, and some suspension/steering mods plus little bits and pieces. 

The primary problems -

Doesn't run worth a damn. Carbs are flooding severely. Will start sometimes if I fill the bowl and then kick it a few times and it'll run until it runs out of fuel, but doesn't run worth a damn.

So I'm aware I need to pull and clean carbs. Surely I will need to figure out jetting. I'm used to working on Harleys, so not totally unfamiliar with carbs, but I've never worked on a Banshee.

Nor have I ever ridden a banshee so I have nothing to compare it with to know it is right or wrong that is apples to apples. I've got a 2013 yfz450 that runs good. And a raptor 660 project too because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. 

So did I basically dig myself a giant hole before starting? Should I just turn around and sell this thing or is it worth diving into someone else's project? 

The Banshee will be by far the easiest pile of shit in your fleet to work on.

First off, get the Tapatalk app so you can upload pics straight to BansheeHQ.

Post pics so we can see for sure what you have.

Pull the carbs completely and pull the main and pilot jets. Report back.

Welcome to the world’s #1 Banshee website.

The Banshee will be by far the easiest pile of shit in your fleet to work on.

First off, get the Tapatalk app so you can upload pics straight to BansheeHQ.

Post pics so we can see for sure what you have.

Pull the carbs completely and pull the main and pilot jets. Report back.

Welcome to the world’s #1 Banshee website.

Alright got the app. Been on forums for years and always dodged tapatalk but I'll give it a run.

I'm out of town for work all week but I had some pictures taken for me so I could upload them for you guys. She didn't know what exactly to take pictures of but gave it a shot.

I won't have time to work on the bike until the weekend at the earliest so I can't give info on the carbs yet.

2071f5403a83f905b8457a2b15cd239b.jpg78a134c3841ccbea7f12610489f654d6.jpgc540d7141223c6bca9203dd74a3dac70.jpg9baf1692265712447f59fa6cdadd4ce9.jpge78628c1434fe3fc6bcb0750043f79fb.jpg2f43d9dc822b23cf0a8027e173d697e9.jpgc014afeb322a0843ac6e7db0eea40045.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the outer side of intake,  2GU ,  Also look at transfers.   It's a stock cyl.  Could be a ported 4mm .  If you took the head off we could tell you what it is.

I'm not arguing with you. I legit know nothing about these. Which makes me purchasing this like this even more stupid on my part.

I guess I should touch base with the guy I got it from. He's already got my cash so no harm in telling me the truth about what it actually is now.

He gave me a box of parts that had cylinders in it that he said were what he pulled off the bike and they were significantly smaller than what is on the bike so I believed him. Guess I should have been wise enough to research before jumping in with both feet.

I can't say what anything is since I don't know what I'm looking at. I had to Google reeds. I see those are vforce. I'm really out of my element here. I'll get it figured out well enough to fix my screw up in buying this thing with your help though. So thanks guys.

I'll be back in town late Wednesday night. I will see if I can get some better pictures, and maybe some more info on anything stamped with a part number.

I won't have any time to open anything up until the weekend at the earliest.