I have decided 4mm stock bore dune port is plan...stock carbs, or 35s?

barry1me

People don't realize how long it takes to properly build a mtr. It always takes way longer then it should no matter what. There's a stripped hole, broken stud, supply chain delays, machine shop issue,........ Goes on and on.

I try to be honest with customers if I haven't touched it I tell them. If they want it back and ship it else where I'll do it.

My phone rings 20-40 times a day I got 200 emails I haven't looked at and I got 20 mtrs sitting here. I try to balance all sides of business but it's very tough. Do I meet all deadlines no have I had mtrs longer than a year of course.

Anyone who has been to my shop or any other sponsors shop knows we as not sitting around getting rich off this. We work 60++++ hrs a week at 6-7 days a week to make our living. Most my customers prob make more than I do and work way less.

My point is if Redline or any other sponsor doesn't answer the phone, return an email or call you back its not personal. It's the fact that we are overwhelmed with daily tasks and prob couldn't take anything else on. Not the fact that we don't value our potential or current customers.

I appreciate every customer big or small for there business. Thanks Cam

• Like 11

The fact is most banshee owners are cheap. Very rarely do I see a motor that doesn't need everything, all these engines are very old, very worn out, unmaintained, abused everytime you get on it. Cam hit the nail on the head with motor assembly, it takes a long time to do it correctly not just bolting it together. Every motor I build looks brand new when you get it back and it doesn't happen by accident. Case prep n glass bead/ hot tank wash takes me 4 hrs alone . If you actually looked at the hours spent vs the 300 for assembly I would make $10 an hour . I do it because I love it. My prices are a lil bit more than most but you can eat off your motor when I'm done. Unfortunately people see $ not quality of work. I don't envy cam or Jeff at all , I'm in a unique position because it's not how I feed my family and can spend a lil mor time on it than most and can tell people to kick rocks if there being assholes. I'm very good friends with Jeff and talk to cam frequently both build great engines and are worth the wait

• Like 4

The engine out of my '94 is at Redline and waiting for its turn in the shop. I started buying some bolt on parts from Cam and talking with him about this build last fall, finally sent the engine over last week.

Yes he's been hard to reach a time or two, but each time I connected with him he has taken the time to talk with me and give me good advice.

One of the things I've appreciated about talking with Cam is that, each time I've come up with some bad idea or gotten off track he's let me know it and helped me get straightened out. That alone has been worth the wait.

Edited by Time Machine
  • Like 2

The engine out of my '94 is at Redline and waiting for its turn in the shop. I started buying some bolt on parts from Cam and talking with him about this build last fall, finally sent the engine over last week.

Yes he's been hard to reach a time or two, but each time I connected with him he has taken the time to talk with me and give me good advice.

One of the things I've appreciated about talking with Cam is that, each time I've come up with some bad idea or gotten off track he's let me know it and helped me get straightened out. That alone has been worth the wait.

Ya can is a good guy.  What kind of build are you doing?

Ya can is a good guy.  What kind of build are you doing?

Well, here's the story, it's been changing recently. I started out leaning towards a 4 mil, stock cylinder, play port with stock carbs, 60-65 hp. Then I found out one of the Honda guys we ride with was doing a 65 hp build on his engine, so I decided to go to a dune port, 70-75 hp. Well, I just heard a rumor yesterday that he may be building an 80 hp engine now. So there might be some 35 pwk's in my future. LOL!

• Like 1

Race gas super serval ftw.

ISO purple BHQ hat. Sent from the whoops.

The coin jar is just about empty for this year, so the pwk's are probably as far as this build will go.

image1377.jpeg

The '94 is my dune cruiser. I've now got a good suspension under it and once the engine work is done it should be a little easier for me to keep up with the guys I ride with, who are all younger, faster and better riders than me.

But I've already started to think about next years plan for the '01 I bought a couple months ago. With the +6 swinger I'm thinking it will make a nice straight line bike. I don't need to be the first one to the top of Choke Cherry, but I sure as hell don't want to be last! Maybe a 4 mil cub. We'll see.

• Like 1

Well, here's the story, it's been changing recently. I started out leaning towards a 4 mil, stock cylinder, play port with stock carbs, 60-65 hp. Then I found out one of the Honda guys we ride with was doing a 65 hp build on his engine, so I decided to go to a dune port, 70-75 hp. Well, I just heard a rumor yesterday that he may be building an 80 hp engine now. So there might be some 35 pwk's in my future. LOL!

Nice man...Im planning for something similar from Tyson.  Im planning to order some carbs/intakes/pods from one of the sponsors today hopefully. 

• Like 1

For me and the way I ride a race gas motor is totally impractical for a Duner.

Sandking says he burns 8-12 gallons per day riding Glamis.

He's on a HJR Dune Port 4 mil stk cyl running VF4's and 35mm PWK's.

Granted he could save fuel by switching to smaller carbs, but why?

I burned a full tank of fuel in one 30min riding session with my stock bolt on motor.

I would love to be able to run high compression and timing with race gas but I simply can't afford it, and can't haul a 55 gallon drum of VP110 every where I go riding.

My $.02....

• Like 1

For me and the way I ride a race gas motor is totally impractical for a Duner.

Sandking says he burns 8-12 gallons per day riding Glamis.

He's on a HJR Dune Port 4 mil stk cyl running VF4's and 35mm PWK's.

Granted he could save fuel by switching to smaller carbs, but why?

I burned a full tank of fuel in one 30min riding session with my stock bolt on motor.

I would love to be able to run high compression and timing with race gas but I simply can't afford it, and can't haul a 55 gallon drum of VP110 every where I go riding.

My $.02....

Good advice. The truth is I'll probably stay with the stock carbs. Two reasons. First, it turns out the 80 hp is untrue, just one of my "good friends" yanking my chain! LOL! Second, by the time we leave the Egin Lakes parking lot, ride to Choke, make a few passes, head to Devils Dune and the west end and then back to the parking lot I'm on reserve. Don't feel like carrying extra gas. Edited by Time Machine

Good advice. The truth is I'll probably stay with the stock carbs. Two reasons. First, it turns out the 80 hp is untrue, just one of my "good friends" yanking my chain! LOL! Second, by the time we leave the Egin Lakes parking lot, ride to Choke, make a few passes, head to Devils Dune and the west end and then back to the parking lot I'm on reserve. Don't feel like carrying extra gas.

Exactly, and if I have to ride like a pussy to conserve fuel, then what's the fuckin point??

I'm sticking with my stock carbs.

The throat where the slide is, is professionally oval bored to 26.5mm wide by 28mm tall.

The intake side is oval bored 28mm wide by 30mm tall.

There's more top end for sure!!

If you're looking for something similar, or if you want to go to 28mm PWK's then go for it.

I've invested in pods, outerwears, 27.5-32.5 pilots, stock needles, toomey needles (came with the bike), and mikuni 5L1 needles and mains from 260-360, plus the boring, so needless to say I'd lose a shit ton of money if I switched carbs.

Plus I've seen +80whp out of stock carbs on a dyno sheet on this site.

That's plenty of powah for old ass!!

Ron Black of RB Designs did my carb mods.

http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_014.htm