went to a blaster pistons

lunatic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at a quick glance it looks like 50 thou off them domes is gonna reduce your dome size by about 2.2cc!!

unless you take some material outa the hemisphere i think itll be too high on compression.

that's what i too was thinking about the .050" situation. i know that taking like .005 off a stock head (on head gasket surface i mean), can reduce the head cc volume by like .4 something. so taking .050" off (i know we are talking the squish band here), might get you into high comp trouble quickly, without taking a little more out of the hemisphere part of the dome, like 4stroker said.

you also have pm.

Edited by mopar1rules

Modifying an existing, stock stroke dome to work with the stroker is difficult if you want to maintain a decent combustion chamber. The exception might be if you started with, say, a 24cc stock stroke dome and wanted to end up with maybe a 18cc stroker dome.

You can carve out the squish area to accomodate the 2mm extra deck height but there won't be much 'bowl' left. You can machine the bowl to add the necessary volume back into the dome but now the spark plug will be hanging down into the combustion chamber.

I know people do modify domes to work but they usually start out with a large volume dome.

It's certainly easier (for me anyway) to just make it the way you want it from the start.

Just my opinion,

-David

You can machine the bowl to add the necessary volume back into the dome but now the spark plug will be hanging down into the combustion chamber.

i forgot about that!

depending on how much you remove you might be able to get away with using a thicker washer on the spark plug to space it back up.

but yeah like you said Dave its gonna be a whole nicer to start from scratch!

could you make domes for this guys trinity head?

i forgot about that!

depending on how much you remove you might be able to get away with using a thicker washer on the spark plug to space it back up.

but yeah like you said Dave its gonna be a whole nicer to start from scratch!

could you make domes for this guys trinity head?

I don't make domes that fit the Trinity head, sorry.

I am broadening my dome inventory though. Besides domes for the stock heads, I do Puma, Cougar, Super Cub, DMX, some sled domes, and Cheetah PV domes in the next week or two.

-David

You can carve out the squish area to accomodate the 2mm extra deck height but there won't be much 'bowl' left. You can machine the bowl to add the necessary volume back into the dome but now the spark plug will be hanging down into the combustion chamber.

i see what you are saying, but you wouldn't have to necessarily make the dome "deeper"....would you? couldn't you just keep the same dome depth, but then just widen/open up the diameter, where it meets the squish band? you know, the squish band width would get skinnier. that way the spark plug wouldn't stick into the dome any further.

yeah, so i guess the radius of the hemisphere would be greater.

Edited by mopar1rules

Yes you could gain the volume back by widening the bowl and narrowing the squish area. I don't know if you could gain the needed volume without making the squish area too narrow. Might end up pretty pipey.

-David

Yes you could gain the volume back by widening the bowl and narrowing the squish area. I don't know if you could gain the needed volume without making the squish area too narrow. Might end up pretty pipey.

-David

How do I check dome volume? Can i grease the rings and put piston on tdc and fill the chamber to the bottom of the plug hole?

I put a plug in it and clamp a piece of lexan with a hole in it to the bottom of dome. I fill it (upside down) with a burett. A cattle syringe would work if you don't have a burett.

I put a plug in it and clamp a piece of lexan with a hole in it to the bottom of dome. I fill it (upside down) with a burett. A cattle syringe would work if you don't have a burett.

So when you cc' a dome you dont figure in the space that the piston crown takes up. Your just measure the total volume of the dome correct?

So when you cc' a dome you dont figure in the space that the piston crown takes up. Your just measure the total volume of the dome correct?

Flat plate volume is usually what is referred to when domes are ordered since that is how they are checked when not installed.

-David

so, skinny squish band widths make an engine more "peaky/pipey" and a wide squish band will make an engine's powerband more broad? also, how does a guy know what radius to put on, or make his hemisphere on the dome too? is there some common norms, or what?

Flat plate volume is usually what is referred to when domes are ordered since that is how they are checked when not installed.

That dont sound right my 7mm domes would measure like 30cc because of the .130" step thats added for the stroke. Or is your plate round that fits up into the step and rests up against the squish band?

I guess i will have to junk both my heads cause i still havent got a answer of what degree to cut my bands.lol ...thanks good reading guys

you have to remember also that there is a squish clearance between the dome and the pistion so using a flat plate to cc the head is the correct way.

Just remember.... "you can go broke trying to save money!!"

I would sell the domes you have and just have noss cut ya the correct ones. Trust me on this, I tried to modify a set of domes I had and it cost me a couple pistons because I could not stop the detonation!!!!

Had a new set cut, problem solved!!