33 pwk jetting question

When the bike ran better with a 2 into 1 non ported/bored motor, not to mention timing advance, dual carbs and filters, new reeds and a fresh top end 30 over, I think anybody would be pretty damm frustrated with the machine. I spent so much time trying to jet this and I put several different sizes in it, had the air screws at several locations, etc. I am getting nowhere.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keihins just take time getting use to. They are more fine tunable than the stockers.

Make sure you only do 1 adjustment at a time. If you do 2 you might fix 1 problem and create a new one and you wouldnt know the difference.

Try 2.5 turns out on the air screw with your current jetting. If it feels a little better then drop down to a 45 pilot and reset the air scews to 1.5 turns out, and start over fine tuning the air screws.

I started out on PJ's.

Learning to jet PWK's is a hell of a lot easer then the older PJ's

I seriously think this is a needle diameter problem. That guide says it to a T. "1/4 throttle bogging and hesitant to get on the power" means too rich of a needle/too thick of a diameter in the needle.

Got it backwards.

Thick needle is Leaner

Thin needle is Rich

50 Pilot is to big.

PWK's generally run 48-45 with CEL needles.

PJ's need a little richer bottom end. 52 pilot with CEK or DEK needles.

Well I tried everything once again, nothing. Went out with the air screws 2 and 2.5 turns with no results. So I get in the truck and head on over to the local race shop.

Bought 45 pilots and 150 mains for $26.

Put the pilots in, cleared it up a littel. Tried the air screws, nothing.

Did all I can do...

I agree with what was said in your for sale post, you should just let it sit for a couple days think about it and get back at it.

I had my first ported motor last year, took me atleast a month to get it jetted correctly messing with it 4-5 times a week. On the phone with my builder 2-3 times a day if thats what I needed. Patience is key here, dont let it frustrate you & start back over from square one if you have to.

Thanks for the positive thinking. I am just really frustrated right now. I have the patience of a saint, I really do. I just can't understand why it's not responding to jetting. And to be honest, I put my last remaining dollar that I had to put into it. I have to pay bills as all of us do and really can't afford to buy anything if it is another problem like a stator or something. That's why I am mad. It should be just jetting, but in my case, I don't think that it is. So I am upset because I can't fix it if it is something else. Riding is over for me for sure until next year.

Just some stupid things to check. Your vent lines and gas cap, make sure they are clear and breathing. What gas are you running in that thing? What plugs and are you setting the gaps right? Just for shits and giggles try and set your timing back to +4 and see if that helps. You did say you put new reeds in right? If not spends the couple bucks for the reeds and change them out. This might not be your problem but I had the same problem with my bike and it was bad gas. Just check the bike out make sure all your wires are hooked up, all the vent lines are clear, and that you dont have some safety switch on (parking brake or tors crap).

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. Plugs are good, gas is fresh and mixed right. I run 116 Sunoco Maximal. I just got it the other day.

I also have a clymers manual. I really appreciate the help. I just wish it can be figured out.

Straight 116. That's what was recommended. I am testing it ASAP as soon as I can get my hands on a threaded comp tester. Hopefully tomorrow. But I am currently working out some deals on some of the parts. If I can sell this bike I would rather just do that.