Alcohol Purging Question

I purge mine at the end of the weekend and have never had any problems. Just plug the silencers and the fuel tank vent and you should not have any problems. If you are in a damp climent or its raining out I think I would purge it sooner but other than that you should be ok.

not purging it is a terrible idea! its always better to be safe then sorry!!

Seriously he doesn't. I have been hanging with Dave for years, he hasn't replaced a crank or anything in any of his motors due to not purging. I know alchohol is water based vs. gas being petroleum based but he insists its not a problem. I remember a few years ago he took a couple pieces of steel dipped one in alchohol/mix and the other in gas/mix then sat them outside in the rain. After a few days they seemed to develope rust comparatively. As he said, "see for yourself"....Dunno, just telling you what I have observed, I have not run alky so....Just what I have observed from Dave and his motors....Hope it helps.

Ive heard of a few other's that dont purge the bike's either.

I guess it will depend on the pre-mix of oil in alky....i dont know.

Guess i will find out soon enough. :biggrin:

it all depends on where you ride i would say..........for instance i ride pismo alot,also in in pismo is mosture........alky+mosture=rust....in dummont or glamis i would say at the end of the weekend would be fine its a liitle dryer out there..........i however purge at the end of every day

Edited by bada450r

I only ride in the street.But I purge the crap out of mine.Once the alky is threw and the gas start kicking in I let it run for another 2-3 minutes.Just to make sure its all good.And after every ride I purge.Never been unpurged for more than 4-5 hours.