How much power can a +4 swinger handle

Joshtruction

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tricky answer because it varies on riding/track conditions,tires,etc....

One of my friends had a stock stroke banshee with Jeff's play port.Good grief did that quad run good for no more than it had done to it.Even with stock carbs.

Anyways,It would vary depending on where he run it at.Depending on the track and tires.Some places it wouldn't come up at all.Others it would just carry the front tires a few inches but if it hooked really hard it would lift the tires pretty good.

It had a +6 swingarm.

That's why on the banshee I had I went with a +10 swingarm and +3 forward a-arms.

I raced on asphault as well as dirt and sand and didn't want to get body slammed. :down:

you can ease out on the clutch and control alot of this but it takes practice and stuff happens really fast when you start getting to the faster banshees.You can get hurt on even a stock one if you're not use to it and don't pay attention.

that question will depend on the rider..

some of my hardest launches ever at a hillclimb came from a +4 swingarm and a 4mm cub motor.. if you know how to work that clutch, shift body weight, use the right gearing and have the right tires.. youd be amazed at what you can do with 100hp on a +4 swingarm.

right now, i run a 10mm cub on gas on a +6 swingarm.. i can launch this thing like an AWD drag car on NOS...

I think theres a 18mm in the east coast that runs a +4 swingarm no bar that runs in the 120mph range in the 1/4. I think you should ask what kind of swinger would be recommended with your setup and riding style. Dunes, Dirt?

I think theres a 18mm in the east coast that runs a +4 swingarm no bar that runs in the 120mph range in the 1/4. I think you should ask what kind of swinger would be recommended with your setup and riding style. Dunes, Dirt?

I'd like to see his RT and 60 ft times with that much power.....no bar?

It's a crap shoot, just like buying tires. There are a ton of people that think my 14 over arm is too much...yet you can get on my 10 mil and it will stand straight up on you...on ice, on sand...with traction....with 3-4 different guys riding it that can ride a lot better than I can.

You've posted this in the drag forum, so I assume you're building a drag bike...

Drag bike and 4 over swingarm don't belong in the same sentence unless you're running a blaster motor with barely any work done to it....

It's a crap shoot, just like buying tires. There are a ton of people that think my 14 over arm is too much...yet you can get on my 10 mil and it will stand straight up on you...on ice, on sand...with traction....with 3-4 different guys riding it that can ride a lot better than I can.

You've posted this in the drag forum, so I assume you're building a drag bike...

Drag bike and 4 over swingarm don't belong in the same sentence unless you're running a blaster motor with barely any work done to it....

not everybike needs a +14 buddy. you telling me a +6 with a bar cant do damage? people out there actually have driving skills.

not everybike needs a +14 buddy. you telling me a +6 with a bar cant do damage? people out there actually have driving skills.

I'm pretty sure he said no bar..

He didn't say "every bike needs a +14" He said "its a crap shoot" wich means every bike/build/setup/rider is different and will have different needs. He was using his bike as a example.

sheeshh..... Lighten up

Edited by Fouledout421

do you guys hold hands on your spare time? i said that to him because he is narrow minded with any set up thats not a +10 or longer swinger. like i said some people out there have driving skills and dont need a huge swingarm to launch good and some people dont need a bar to launch good. no hard feelings just a friendly argument with a stranger thats all.

Dont get ur G-string all knoted up...

I think if you ask any top builder how to setup a bike for the track... I doubt its gonna be a short swinger and no bar..

Most of them use a +8 and a bar... +10's with shorter stretch.. but maybe thats just because they can't find good riders. :shrug:

Edited by Fouledout421

Dont get ur G-string all knoted up...

I think if you ask any top builder how to setup a bike for the track... I doubt its gonna be a short swinger and no bar..

Most of them use a +8 and a bar... +10's with shorter stretch.. but maybe thats just because they can't find good riders. :shrug:

:biggrin: lol, good point.

Hey i got an idea, im gonna put a -2 on mine! :beer:

I know...

It seems in south Florida, the hot spot of banshee drag racing, you could put a 400HP Hemi motor in a banshee frame....someone would believe it's still stock...and you guys could launch that with a stock swinger....

Read the posts, did he say with a bar?? No....

Are you going to jump my shit everytime a question about big motors and swingarms comes up?

Why don't you do me a favor....use the search button. Find out all the people that have 100HP plus bikes and run stock swingers....gather them up, and then the two or three of you out there can compare notes with the other 98% of us that can't drive...don't know how to setup bikes, that run longer swing arms for a reason.

I mean...c'mon. With all these people that build swingarms, you'd be putting them out of a job....if there's no reason to run a longer one...there's no need to fabricate them.

Thousands of people out of work, just because you guys have top notch NHRA pro banshee drivers down there with no swingarms...oh, wait, you guys don't run bars, either.... Damn, more people out of work.

Ok...back to reality, I'll be here waiting for you...

I didn't say he needed a 14 over, did I? Show me where I said he did. I said when I tell people I have one, they think it's too long.

But several riders, including the one that just placed at PS, get it to come straight up. I know that a nationally recognized, sanctioned event like that doesn't hold a candle to hot bed of racing action by you, but quite a few of us do think people there can actually ride..etc.

We all know you guys are street racing masters....got it.

The rest of us will just have to settle for being sub par...I guess.

Squirell Master you also have to remember.Sand is a different world than Street.On a bike were going to have on the ground I would use a +6 on a cub motor and its on the floor and it can still use a wheelie bar.Also on the DM hereI think he has +8 with wheelie bar and its a scary ride without one.When its a stand-up bike thats different but here we run stand-up bikes for money.Ill say this tho you can get out the whole pretty good on a stock swingarm big motor with knobbie tires fillled up to 15 PSI.If you put a +14 on street your going to stay in one spot tho Dave Im pretty sure you know that on street.

I cant type for crap anymore lol :geek:

Edited by 06BaNsHeE

I agree...

I think I'd have to put very large slicks and a bar on mine and lean way back with sticky tires to get traction.

My boy Hopper has a 14 or 15 over arm though, and was 4 out the front. He did pretty damn good on pavement.

On my old 4 mil cub on a 6 over swinger....anything but paddles in the sand, it'd blaze the tires. I had holeshots on tall grass...which, I thought would hook...grass usually does. Nope...just trenched the grass...easily.