is there any way to check a cdi box

What I have done in the past is to take the one off of my dad's bike and hook it up if I have the same problem then its not the CDI. With two bikes running side by side you can change out electrical components until the problem goes away. But only change out one part at a time to determine which one is the culprit. So, you may just find someone else with a shee that won't mind you experimenting with their parts......

Is there anyway to check a cdi box to see if it is any good... I am having trouble and wanted to check my cdi box before I have to spend the money on a new one... Thanks Any suggestions are appreciated...

Buy two. Keep one in a box to use as a test box. Use the other to replace the bad one. It will be expensive at first, but you can test a coil, you can test a stator, but a CDI is something you can't really test. Don't want to buy two new ones? Buy a used one that works to keep on hand and a new one to put on your buggie.

it took me a few days to find someone with a 87-94 model bike, but when i did we started his, then unplugged his box, plugged mine in and his wouldnt run. plugged is back in and fired right up. Just like the clymers manual says, if you have tested the coil and the stator, the cdi is bad.

I have never seen a bad cdi box personally. Most of the time its a bad stator, stator pickup, or a wiring harness cross short.

you guys that have repalced your cdi boxes what was they doing for you to replace them?also what will a bad stator and pickup do if its going bad?