yfz suspension

chris c

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on what your needs are. The Lonestar arms are overpriced you are only paying for the name. Same thing for the Elkas, but i have not seen a single after market shock that isnt better then the 450 setup. I am not a fan at all of the 450 setup. some guys love it. It's more of a poormans fix. It really depends on what kind of riding and how hardcore your going to be going to depend on what setup you need.

If your just a weekend warrior and make a few trips per year there is no need to drop 2 grand on a set of quad rate elkas and lonestar arms when you can get a set of Wicked arms and Works shocks for much less and make a night and day differance.

I had some long travel elkas left over from my LT500...17.5" eye to eye...I did the YFZ a-arm swap...including the hubs,brakes and spindles. It handles GREAT! I mostly dune and the geometry is perfect for what I do...it's a little on the twitchy side so I might add a steering damper. I traded some old LT500 parts for my setup...so it was a very cheap upgrade with great results...I think the key to getting the setup correct is using the right length shocks...which are 17.5" eye to eye...the stock YFZ shocks are to short for the YFZ a-arm swap...and it only widens the front a tad over 2"....

I don't know that I could go quite as far as saying it is a poorman's fix, but it is definitely an economy fix. The reality I presented myself with was that I ride about 8-10 times a year at the dunes and the adjustability of the yfz shocks and the added width of the arms, plus the decreased cost of the swap made it the right decision for me.

The YFZ shocks will work fine, yes the front sits lower than stock by about .5"-1.0", but at the dunes this isn't much of an issue. The suspension is much more forgiving over the whoops and much more adjustable than the stock banshee shocks. Plus, the swap actually widens the front a total of nearly 4.5", just short of 2.25" per side. Not sure if this is what you meant, but just to clarify.

I know a little about the 450 front ends if you have any questions. Thanks!

so do u think its good to have them for dezert racing

no, youd be bottoming out on everything, i have put my standard +2+1 with stock length work shocks front up nose to nose with zach's 450 front end (when he had it),..they were the same width from eye, maybe his was 1/4" wider on each side. who knows, who cares, but his was at LEAST 2 inches lower, probably more, and the bottom of his a arms and f\rame had the scars to prove it

Edited by Michael Jackson

no, youd be bottoming out on everything, i have put my standard +2+1 with stock length work shocks front up nose to nose with zach's 450 front end (when he had it),..they were the same width from eye, maybe his was 1/4" wider on each side. who knows, who cares, but his was at LEAST 2 inches lower, probably more, and the bottom of his a arms and f\rame had the scars to prove it

:confused:

I had some long travel elkas left over from my LT500...17.5" eye to eye...I did the YFZ a-arm swap...including the hubs,brakes and spindles. It handles GREAT! I mostly dune and the geometry is perfect for what I do...it's a little on the twitchy side so I might add a steering damper. I traded some old LT500 parts for my setup...so it was a very cheap upgrade with great results...I think the key to getting the setup correct is using the right length shocks...which are 17.5" eye to eye...the stock YFZ shocks are to short for the YFZ a-arm swap...and it only widens the front a tad over 2"....

ya thats what im going to do but im going to get standard travle z400 shocks.

Derick

Thats ok .BUT you should be running a longer shock the bring the front up alot bro. Mine sits an inch lower than stock is how i like!