spitting oil

well, just got back from little sahara, great weekend. My bike apparently was spitting oil out the silencer. got done riding and back of bike had black splatters all over and the silencer tips were covered. also the spark plugs were black when i got back.

im assuming the jetting is too big??

plan on heading down again in a couple weekends and would like to get it running better. Also when i first get into it itll bog down unless i get half throttle.

I got a completely stock 2006 se. i know yall will suggest pipes and filters, timing, etc. but its gotta stay stock for this season. So i think stock it has 200 mains, what should i be running down there? 5000 ft elevation, and completely stock??

Thanks in advance,

Chad

well, just got back from little sahara, great weekend. My bike apparently was spitting oil out the silencer. got done riding and back of bike had black splatters all over and the silencer tips were covered. also the spark plugs were black when i got back.

im assuming the jetting is too big??

plan on heading down again in a couple weekends and would like to get it running better. Also when i first get into it itll bog down unless i get half throttle.

I got a completely stock 2006 se. i know yall will suggest pipes and filters, timing, etc. but its gotta stay stock for this season. So i think stock it has 200 mains, what should i be running down there? 5000 ft elevation, and completely stock??

Thanks in advance,

Chad

180 mains should be good for a completely stock bike at 5000' elevation.

When mine was new and stock, I was running 200 mains, middle clip, 25 pilot, and 1.5 turns out at 2000-2500 feet. Try going down a size or two and do a plug chop. You may want to move the needle down a notch when the main jets are dialed in as well.

Whenever I ride the Coral Pink, which is about 6000 feet or so, I drop the needle one notch and it runs much better along with dropping the main jets 2-4 sizes as well.

See what is in it, then buy a few sizes smaller and try them. With the warmer weather coming, it would not be a bad idea to adjust the jetting anyways.

just reading my manual, and it says the standard setting is #200 main, 3rd groove on jet needle, and 2.0 turns out on pilot air screw.

It says for over 32 degrees F and about 5k ft altitude, to run #190, 3rd groove, and 2.5turns out. i got a 190 main a 220 and 240 main with my bike, so if i just put in the 190, would that be good?

Thanks,

The manual probably says to run the machine at 20:1 as well. If you moved up to 32:1, you have actually richened the air/fuel mixture even though you have reduced the amount of oil in the fuel/oil mixture. Try the 190s first, but don't be afraid to try 180s at your altitude and warmer weather ahead.

Also, if it says 32 and above, I can tell you I switch to a smaller main jet when the temperature changes from 65 in the winter to 95+ in the summer. As long as you keep an eye on the plugs, you won't damage the engine moving down a size or two. As I mentioned earlier, dropping the needles one notch may help it run better as well, but you will have to try it and see which way you prefer.

well, i put in the 190's i had, and it seemed to stop spitting, it also idled and ran a hell of a lot better. went to LS here in utah and its Getting pretty warm, i think im gonna drop it down to 180's and see what happens.

Checking the float levels, do i measure from the gasket to the top of the floats? if so that about 18mm, or should i be checking from where the gasket sits??

Thanks guys!

well, i put in the 190's i had, and it seemed to stop spitting, it also idled and ran a hell of a lot better. went to LS here in utah and its Getting pretty warm, i think im gonna drop it down to 180's and see what happens.

Checking the float levels, do i measure from the gasket to the top of the floats? if so that about 18mm, or should i be checking from where the gasket sits??

Thanks guys!

Measure from the bowl mating surface without the gasket to the top of the float when the float is contacting the fuel valve needle without compressing it (if it sounds confusing, it really isn't once you start messing with the float a little). You may have you rock the carb back and forth a little to figure out when the float contacts and when it compresses the needle. Increasing float height decreases fuel level and decreasing float height incresing fuel level. It can be a pain to do sometimes.

yup! my bike stock with 190s and 4000 feet was perfect, should be for you too, your main problem was the snorkel that thing chokes so much goddamn air im surprised it run, take it off its stupid, and 2 turns on your air screws and you plugs should be nice a cardboard brown or darker, your bike will run much better too

well, just went down again and its running a ton better, but still spitting some. i didnt remove the snorkle cuz when i took it off it looks like the tires will throw sand right into the opening if i turn at all. i didnt wanna screw anything up, Does it not cause a problem??

also like when im climbing sand mountain, right as i get to the top, it acts like its running rich and smokes alot, what could this be??

Thanks alot guys!