Anyone really into lawncare?

been spending a lot of time on www.scotts.com lately.

Been working on my grass being top of the line the last few years, and have learned a lot from some really smart individuals on the site. Gonna be doing a complete renovation on my front yard after they come through and redo the sidewalks, and road. Thought I had a decent lawn until I saw some of the lawns on the site (old site had a lot, they just upgraded, so its just getting up and going again). Gonna be installing a sprinkler system, laying my walkway, and getting some really good kentucky blue grass seed from a turf company.

I've always been in want for a perfect lawn, and it was always good, and better than anyone on the block, but it just wasnt up to my spec, and now I know how to get there with soil preparation, exact timing for putting down fertilizers and pre emergents, weed identification, best way with dealing with weedy grasses and other weeds.

Just put down a product called aerify plus today from www.natureslawn.com It's a pretty cool product, and we'll see just how well it works over this year. Just kinda funny that I'm doing this work to the grass I have (scotts pure premium sun and shade), and no matter what I do, I'm never going to be happy with it now, because of the type of grass seed it is. It's a good seed, just not THE seed.

been spending a lot of time on www.scotts.com lately.

Been working on my grass being top of the line the last few years, and have learned a lot from some really smart individuals on the site. Gonna be doing a complete renovation on my front yard after they come through and redo the sidewalks, and road. Thought I had a decent lawn until I saw some of the lawns on the site (old site had a lot, they just upgraded, so its just getting up and going again). Gonna be installing a sprinkler system, laying my walkway, and getting some really good kentucky blue grass seed from a turf company.

I've always been in want for a perfect lawn, and it was always good, and better than anyone on the block, but it just wasnt up to my spec, and now I know how to get there with soil preparation, exact timing for putting down fertilizers and pre emergents, weed identification, best way with dealing with weedy grasses and other weeds.

Just put down a product called aerify plus today from www.natureslawn.com It's a pretty cool product, and we'll see just how well it works over this year. Just kinda funny that I'm doing this work to the grass I have (scotts pure premium sun and shade), and no matter what I do, I'm never going to be happy with it now, because of the type of grass seed it is. It's a good seed, just not THE seed.

im a lawn freak , i pick out weeds by hand lol

2008housepics005.jpg

2008housepics001.jpg

Edited by 91banshee

looks good man, you know what kind of grass it is?

My front yard is only about 320 sq feet or so (20x16), dont have any good pics yet of the lawn since its been a work in progress for the last 2 years that I lived here. Been overseeding every year, and its starting to push out the cheaper grass, and the few bare spots I've gotten from poa (annual bluegrass), which I have been pulling, are starting to finally slowly fill in.

As far as weeds go, I pull all of them by hand, hell I pick up my leaves by hand as well. How is your soil? Compacted? Clayish? That aerify plus stuff I bought, I put it on this morning, and the soil is dry and looks completely different now. It used to have a dry clay look to it in my bare spots with a crack or two that I'd see. Now that its drying out, it definitely doesnt look like that anymore, has more of a soil texture to it. Supposed to be really good stuff

Wish my yard was a bit bigger, so every little imperfection wasnt noticed, but its nice that I dont have to spend a lot of money, to make it look good. Hell, a 5000 sq foot bag lasts me a couple years.

If you go into the forums, under lawn, and look in the scotts best kbg cultivar, there is a picture posted of what my lawn will eventually look like

looks good man, you know what kind of grass it is?

My front yard is only about 320 sq feet or so (20x16), dont have any good pics yet of the lawn since its been a work in progress for the last 2 years that I lived here. Been overseeding every year, and its starting to push out the cheaper grass, and the few bare spots I've gotten from poa (annual bluegrass), which I have been pulling, are starting to finally slowly fill in.

As far as weeds go, I pull all of them by hand, hell I pick up my leaves by hand as well. How is your soil? Compacted? Clayish? That aerify plus stuff I bought, I put it on this morning, and the soil is dry and looks completely different now. It used to have a dry clay look to it in my bare spots with a crack or two that I'd see. Now that its drying out, it definitely doesnt look like that anymore, has more of a soil texture to it. Supposed to be really good stuff

Wish my yard was a bit bigger, so every little imperfection wasnt noticed, but its nice that I dont have to spend a lot of money, to make it look good. Hell, a 5000 sq foot bag lasts me a couple years.

If you go into the forums, under lawn, and look in the scotts best kbg cultivar, there is a picture posted of what my lawn will eventually look like

the soil is clayish , i put 18/24 /12 fertilizer and 250 lbs of pelitized lime per 1/2 acre the grass is a custom tri blend of turf type hi performance fescue

it looks perfect year round , those pics are in dead winter .

i dont have any pic but i am a picky sone of a bitch about my yard i used the scotts and it sucked ass then i went to chemlawn and now they spray my yard for me and the guy who does it has ben thyere for 12 years mine looks awsome with the grass seed they used and before they did i had them coltivate everywhere and put plugs in. I like the way it looks and feels in bare feet its smooth really a nice green color and flows so nice. this year im going to get new land scapping in yeah ha.

i dont have any pic but i am a picky sone of a bitch about my yard i used the scotts and it sucked ass then i went to chemlawn and now they spray my yard for me and the guy who does it has ben thyere for 12 years mine looks awsome with the grass seed they used and before they did i had them coltivate everywhere and put plugs in. I like the way it looks and feels in bare feet its smooth really a nice green color and flows so nice. this year im going to get new land scapping in yeah ha.

They all fuckin' suck, they're good for a while then fall off.

I'm about to get a spreader and start doing the shit myself, but its the last thing I want to do with my time off from work... oh well

anyways, here's my lawn with some banshee content:

img0940ik5.jpg

Edited by shudakeptquiet

Imagine doing comercial lawn service in scottsdale, arizona. and having your customers resetting the sprinkler timers to save money on the water bill... then complaining when their grass isn't as lush as they want it.... freaking nightmare...

Takes a ton of water to keep grass deep beautiful green in the desert in the summer.

Hey since i won't be home to visit until next year go to Pat's and get a cheesesteak for me?

hell Gino's, Jims, or even Tony Lukes will work. just make sure you get sharp provolone ok?

Thanks

lol....gotta love bastard dogs.....got a 7 month lab of my own that's given me 6 or so holes in the backyard to fill this weekend.

I found a new site that all the regulars from the scotts site started up because they werent happy with the way the new scotts site is. I'm not very happy with it either, and the scotts people dont really care about the issues to much. The site is: http://lawnforums.freeforums.org/index.php

My uncle is coming up from North Carolina and we were going to head down and grab a cheesesteak (gonna go to Gino's, gotta love that he's a firm supporter of people speaking english when ordering), and then going and catching a Wings game (www.wingslax.com)

shuda, lawns lookin real good, wish I could grow a southern lawn, love how that sponginess feels.

91banshee, if you have a clayish soil, you should think about trying that aerify plus stuff from www.natureslawn.com It works really well, and from just one application, I can see the difference in my soil quality. Gotta do a couple more applications over the next 2 months, and then just start maintaining. Should check it out, 1 gallon of the humic acid content in it is equal to 7 tons of manure.

My old man's lawn is his baby. I know he said he just paid a flat rate to the company that sprays some type of chemical on his lawn a couple times a year to the tune of $1500. That and being able to feed the in-ground sprinklers from the river he lives on equals a nice green lawn with no weeds!

that's ridiculous for a price unless he's got a couple acres. Either that or they better come by to put down a pre emergent, and then after 2 cuts put down a fertilizer, do a weed and feed, do a grub prevention, a summer feeding, insect preventer, 2nd pre emergent app. and then a fertilizer. Hell, I'd do it for 1000 bucks if I lived near you, and i'd be dropping at perfect times to get the most out of every application.

that's ridiculous for a price unless he's got a couple acres. Either that or they better come by to put down a pre emergent, and then after 2 cuts put down a fertilizer, do a weed and feed, do a grub prevention, a summer feeding, insect preventer, 2nd pre emergent app. and then a fertilizer. Hell, I'd do it for 1000 bucks if I lived near you, and i'd be dropping at perfect times to get the most out of every application.

Sorry, it's 5.5 acres. So I guess he's getting a deal!! He's a nut, though. Two identical John Deere riders, one set up for mulching and the other one's a bagger. Same model, he just doesn't want to slow down to make the conversion! Whole garage full of pushmowers, weed eaters, blah, blah. Best part is he won't accept my help because he doesn't trust me!! And you stay off the grass unless your cutting it.