Let the Flames Begin

Do you have the wiring harness for this new engine?

PS the banshee carbs are not going to work on this engine, or any 4 stroke engine for that matter. Even if they did they'd be too small. You're lookin at a few hundred atleast for carbs. Selling off the banshee motor may be the best way to fund this project.

Bah... ignore the XR650 part... I meant to say XJ650 the first time.

Frankly, there are hundereds/ thousands of banshees around so why not use one to make something different. If you do not like it, you can part it for about the same execpt what you destroy. I am sure you can even get a few bills for the siezed motor to help pay for whatever.

By all means keep the bloody electric starter, bigish 4-pokes are a pain to start with your foot, and nothing makes other banshee owners more jealous at the end of a long day of riding when they have to kick theirs when all you do is push a button. Now if you had a reverse..........

You will find the bike motor will vibrate much more then stock, so if you can mount it in rubber you will thank yourself later.

Spend a fair amount of time working out which parts of the frame to modify, what seems to be the logical mod at first maybe the more difficult. Sometimes you can work it out with just cutting and extending a few tubes, or maybe just motor mounts, yea that would be nice.

by the time you get a custom 1 off creation rolling correctly, you could have rebuilt your Banshee engine twice.

If your speaking time, then yeah, but thats expensive. i have less into this thing the it would have cost to rebuild a stock shee motor that blew up taking a crank, jug, and head with it. i know this becuase im putting another shee together that did taht.

It costs $300 bucks for a bore and piston kit. You can get a good stock crank for $100 or less, I say rebuild the she motor. Then if you want to still use the bike engine, you can sell the she motor to fully fund the project for $700-$1000 bucks. I would personally sell the bike engine to fund the banshee rebuild.

Ryan

Being as a 650 twin 4-stroke is a world apart from a 350 twin 2-stroke, I have a bunch of questions. The first one, of course, is WILL IT WORK? I've seen some Banshees that have been modified to work with a 4-stroke, so I personally don't see why it wouldn't work yet (and it has a kickstarter, so the electric starter could be removed) but again, there are a lot of differences between the stock Banshee engine and the one I have now. I need to know what all needs to be changed to get this engine mounted and running in my Banshee. Die-hard 2-stroke fans need not apply.

Probably the biggest problem is that there is very little vertical space in your engine bay. The motor you have picked out is an extremely old design (dates back to the 60's) so it isn't compact by any means.

Have you ever done drafting? That is where you start with a straight line, and all subsequent lines are based off of that one initial line. For you, that base line is your swingarm pivot/drive sprocket relationship.

This is the most important point:

The output shaft/sprocket must be in the same vertical/horizontal plane as the Banshee is. This will determine engine placement.

Vertical alignment cannot be changed, but you can adjust the side-to-side alignment a small bit.

If you are not on a budget, you can make an adaptor for the rear sprocket carrier that will allow you to move the sprocket a bit side-to-side to allow for proper alignment. If not, drive sprocket placement...and ultimately...engine position...will be determined by your chain alignment.

By the time you look at the height of the engine placed in your Banshee engine bay, you may determine it is too great of a structural compromise for a 42 Horse Power air cooled motor.

By today's standards, this motor is extremely tall, long, and heavy...in my opinion, a poor choice. To answer your question of if it can be done...It can, but I wouldn't do it. A more modern motor is more compact and powerful...the Yamaha FZ series would be a great older motor (80's) because the cylinders are canted forward like 40 degrees, reducing the vertical height. A 90's and newer 4 stroke 4 cylinder 600-750 motor weigh less than the XS motor you have.

In the end you will end up with something less than the original because you will have to cut the main frame tubes on top and relocate your fuel tank, compromising the integrity of the frame.

If the motor has the Hitachi carbs, they will be throw aways because the jets are permanently pressed in.... :down:

If you wanna really piss off everyone, throw a CR500 motor in there!! :thumbsup: Remember...light is right!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck on your build...don't forget photos....

Jay From SanD.

Probably the biggest problem is that there is very little vertical space in your engine bay. The motor you have picked out is an extremely old design (dates back to the 60's) so it isn't compact by any means.

Have you ever done drafting? That is where you start with a straight line, and all subsequent lines are based off of that one initial line. For you, that base line is your swingarm pivot/drive sprocket relationship.

This is the most important point:

The output shaft/sprocket must be in the same vertical/horizontal plane as the Banshee is. This will determine engine placement.

Vertical alignment cannot be changed, but you can adjust the side-to-side alignment a small bit.

If you are not on a budget, you can make an adaptor for the rear sprocket carrier that will allow you to move the sprocket a bit side-to-side to allow for proper alignment. If not, drive sprocket placement...and ultimately...engine position...will be determined by your chain alignment.

By the time you look at the height of the engine placed in your Banshee engine bay, you may determine it is too great of a structural compromise for a 42 Horse Power air cooled motor.

By today's standards, this motor is extremely tall, long, and heavy...in my opinion, a poor choice. To answer your question of if it can be done...It can, but I wouldn't do it. A more modern motor is more compact and powerful...the Yamaha FZ series would be a great older motor (80's) because the cylinders are canted forward like 40 degrees, reducing the vertical height. A 90's and newer 4 stroke 4 cylinder 600-750 motor weigh less than the XS motor you have.

In the end you will end up with something less than the original because you will have to cut the main frame tubes on top and relocate your fuel tank, compromising the integrity of the frame.

If the motor has the Hitachi carbs, they will be throw aways because the jets are permanently pressed in.... :down:

If you wanna really piss off everyone, throw a CR500 motor in there!! :thumbsup: Remember...light is right!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck on your build...don't forget photos....

Jay From SanD.

Thanks for giving me a much clearer idea of what I'd be looking at. I'm really starting to think maybe this isn't the best idea. That sounds like much more work than I was originally expecting.

Thanks for giving me a much clearer idea of what I'd be looking at. I'm really starting to think maybe this isn't the best idea. That sounds like much more work than I was originally expecting.

I love seeing banshees with street bike engines. Don't loose the initiative and if budget is not a problem get a nice engine and put it in your banshee frame.

JUST DI IT ! ! :beer:

I love seeing banshees with street bike engines. Don't loose the initiative and if budget is not a problem get a nice engine and put it in your banshee frame.

JUST DI IT ! ! :beer:

i have about 2.5Hrs to work to make it able to piss off my neighbors, but i just dont have 2.5hrs to spare at the time LOL

With a welder (and some help) you can do anything. but mine is going to be faster

S5001527.jpg

01 Kawasaki ZX9R

I know it's not done yet but I really hope you gusset or triangulate that motor mount, just my humble opinion. Looks like you have a great project going though.

With what jayzx750 said, I think I'm just going to forego putting a 4-stroke in the Banshee altogether. To tell the truth, I would ultimately rather run a 4-stroke if only for the reliability factor, but the XS swap just doesn't sound like it'd work, and I certainly can't afford to put down the kind of money it'd take to put a crotch rocket engine in my Banshee.

I'd sell the Banshee altogether, but as much money as I have in it now, I'd be taking a huge loss to sell it as a non-running quad, so I feel like I'm at kind of an impasse here. I suppose if I can figure out a way to put enough money together I'll rebuild the 350 that's in it, but I'm not sure what I'll be looking at money-wise yet since I don't know what all needs replacing.