motor started yesterday, not today?

ok so i got the stroker put in and minus acutally putting all the plastics back on, i got it into running shape. started her up and let her run for about 20 seconds and then killed it. i didnt drive it around cuase i still didnt have the sprockets on or anything but it ran great! that was yesterday about 4pm, i come in this morning and go to kick it over and i get nothing. i check the compression and i am at 100lbs (speaking of which how does that sound?). think it might be flooded so i drain the carbs and still nothing. replace the plugs and nothing. do a spark test on the right side first and i get a spark on the first kick but on the consecutive kicks no spark. try the left side and no spark at all. any ideas what it could be. im going to go disconnect the tors and see what that does but for it to spark and then jsut stop and actually watch it stop just boggles me.

ok so i got the stroker put in and minus acutally putting all the plastics back on, i got it into running shape. started her up and let her run for about 20 seconds and then killed it. i didnt drive it around cuase i still didnt have the sprockets on or anything but it ran great! that was yesterday about 4pm, i come in this morning and go to kick it over and i get nothing. i check the compression and i am at 100lbs (speaking of which how does that sound?). think it might be flooded so i drain the carbs and still nothing. replace the plugs and nothing. do a spark test on the right side first and i get a spark on the first kick but on the consecutive kicks no spark. try the left side and no spark at all. any ideas what it could be. im going to go disconnect the tors and see what that does but for it to spark and then jsut stop and actually watch it stop just boggles me.

100psi is pretty low. I would strongly consider rebuilding an engine with that low of a compression. A stock, fresh motor should have around 125psi in each cylinder. I'm assuming you had the top-end rebuilt when you had the crank put in. You should definitely have more than 100psi. Try using another tester, make sure 100psi is what you really have. If it is, then I would suspect that this is your problem.

You mention no spark on the left side. Try switching the plug caps and see if the problem exists. Make sure that you are indeed not getting spark. Sometimes it is hard to see the spark. I usually do this test in my garage with all of the lights off. When grounding the plug on the cylinder head, you should see a fat blue spark.

Also, did you do this work yourself or have a shop do it? You may want to call the shop up if thats the case. A top-end shouldn't fail in 20 seconds unless something is majorly wrong. I hope this helps...

Edited by mall0y

ok my compression reading was low because the line had a little crack in it so i have a new one on the way. i put the stroker in myself. a friend of mine is a tech at the local yamaha dealership and we worked on it together. the no spark on the left side is actually both sides. just tested the left side first. i have no spark on either side. i suspect the tors is the culprit. just seems funny that the bike sitting overnight would lose spark. what i was saying about the spark is that i grounded the plug and saw that it had spark on one kick and then the next kick it had no spark. any other ideas?

ok my compression reading was low because the line had a little crack in it so i have a new one on the way. i put the stroker in myself. a friend of mine is a tech at the local yamaha dealership and we worked on it together. the no spark on the left side is actually both sides. just tested the left side first. i have no spark on either side. i suspect the tors is the culprit. just seems funny that the bike sitting overnight would lose spark. what i was saying about the spark is that i grounded the plug and saw that it had spark on one kick and then the next kick it had no spark. any other ideas?

Ya know, I really wish I could help you with your spark issue. I'm having the same problem with my brothers blaster. One minute the spark is nice and fine, the bike started (made a strange clicking noise which I have yet to identify), an hour later it wont start, spark is weak. Check the obvious (connections, stator, coil, etc). Let me know if you figure it out.

Try checking your pickup coil to make sure it is gapped properly. You may also want to check the flywheel to see if that didnt come loose. Get an OHM tester and make sure all the electrical components have the proper resistance. Your trusty Clymers manual will have all the proper specs for this. Good luck.

Try checking your pickup coil to make sure it is gapped properly. You may also want to check the flywheel to see if that didnt come loose. Get an OHM tester and make sure all the electrical components have the proper resistance. Your trusty Clymers manual will have all the proper specs for this. Good luck.

I would also say check the pick-up coil..... I had the same problem one minute would have spark next time didnt..

Ok yall i got it going. I guess somewhere in there one of my connections came loose because i never noticed any of them loose when i was taking it all back apart. I was putting it all back together after checking everything by clymers and couldnt find anything out of wack. Just for the hell of it i kicked it over nad she fired right up!

Hi my name is Travis, and i am a DUMBASS!

Thanx for yalls help. :thanks: :beer: