balljoint nut safety?

rtcc

ok, so I just went out and rode for maybe and hour and as I am coming home I look down and the right side nut that holds my balljoint in my top arm was GONE!

I was like OH SHIT! Cause nothing was holding the balljoint in except that I was going straight.

ok so, they are janssen arms with whatever kind of balljoint comes with them. Its crazy though, cause I check them almost every week, probably every couple for sure.

Whats wierd is they dont have any kind of hole for a cotter pin or anything on the end of the shaft, so the nut is just on there. What can I do to make sure they dont come off again! Of course I use red lock-tite on them but is there anything else that can be done?

Im going to go and get all new nuts to put on, what do you guys think I should torque them too?

thanks guys!

Thats what I was thinking, but there isnt one. Do you think I could drill my own hole? I just dont want to screw up completely.

What about safety wire? Dont racers safety wire nuts and bolts too?

Did you buy those arms or did they come on the bike when you bought it, I think I would call the manufacturer of the arms and see what they say about it, maybe somebody slipped up on the assy. line.

Did you buy those arms or did they come on the bike when you bought it, I think I would call the manufacturer of the arms and see what they say about it, maybe somebody slipped up on the assy. line.

Well I actually bought them used from someone. They are janssen a arms but dont know what balljoints are on them. I guess I could email them and see what they say.

It seems weird and I even thought twice about it when I first put them on, but figured that was how they are supposed to be.

You can drill thru a nut, thread it on the ball joint stud and use it as a drill guide to keep the drill centered on the stud threads.

Excellent idea.

Safety wire is designed for bolts mainly, as it's rather hard to safety wire a nut. So it would be perfect for your calipers, motor mounts, and other shit.

+41 for the cotter pin, and be sure to do all of the ball joints. While you are at it check the pins in your front hubs too.

Excellent idea.

Safety wire is designed for bolts mainly, as it's rather hard to safety wire a nut. So it would be perfect for your calipers, motor mounts, and other shit.

+41 for the cotter pin, and be sure to do all of the ball joints. While you are at it check the pins in your front hubs too.

saftey wiring a nut and using a cotter pin is the exact same thing. both of them are there to keep the nut from backing off the screw stud or what ever it is that its on

saftey wiring a nut and using a cotter pin is the exact same thing. both of them are there to keep the nut from backing off the screw stud or what ever it is that its on

Not at all. Safety wire keeps something from turning due to tension in the wire, and are typically arranged in a series. Cotter pins are just that, a pin. The locking mechanism here passes through the bolt/stud/etc in question to prevent rotation.

Two totally separate concepts.

both of them are there to keep the nut from backing off the screw stud or what ever it is that its on

That is the only trait they share.

Edited by racer

ok, so here is the deal. The way they are setup right now, when everything is lined up properly and there is the right amount of camber and caster there really isnt enough room to put a cotter pin on the outside of the nut. I am using the nylon locking nuts, which is what was on it in the first place. So tomorrow I am going to go and see if I can find some castle nuts that size, but Im not sure if I will be able to. So if I cant, what do you guys think about getting everything tightened up where they are gonna go and then drilling through the nuts and just adding a cotter pin like that? I know they wont be able to be adjusted and I will have to make new ones if I ever take them off but that doesnt matter.

I guess it will look kinda weird but at least I wont die from losing one again.

Any other options?

This sucks.