balljoint nut safety?

rtcc

ok this is an older picture from the bike they were on before, but you can see how the balljoints are attached. I guess its an older crappy designs cause it sucks. Where the shaft of the balljoint goes through the arm it is not threaded so the only thing holding it on is the big nut on the back side, which is what fell off, and you can see there is no room for a cotter pin on the end.

post-27102-1206316490_thumb.jpg

Not at all. Safety wire keeps something from turning due to tension in the wire, and are typically arranged in a series. Cotter pins are just that, a pin. The locking mechanism here passes through the bolt/stud/etc in question to prevent rotation.

Two totally separate concepts.

That is the only trait they share.

um maybe you have used saftey wire that way but on everything iv seen it used on its simply holding keeping the nut from spinning off. we used to use saftey wire on our go-kart when we raced. the only thing i recall having a cotter pin was the nut on the front and rear wheel hubs. everything else was drilled and had saftey wire

and that design looks like a Ricky Stator setup. those are actually good a arms if infact thats what they are. as far as the nut when i had my set of Ricky Stators (before they got stolen) the nut didnt have anything holding it on either. you should be able to tighten it down and use red loctite, once its locked down it shouldnt move. I ran mine for 2 or 3 years with no issues

Edited by Bansh-eman

um maybe you have used saftey wire that way but on everything iv seen it used on its simply holding keeping the nut from spinning off. we used to use saftey wire on our go-kart when we raced. the only thing i recall having a cotter pin was the nut on the front and rear wheel hubs. everything else was drilled and had saftey wire

and that design looks like a Ricky Stator setup. those are actually good a arms if infact thats what they are. as far as the nut when i had my set of Ricky Stators (before they got stolen) the nut didnt have anything holding it on either. you should be able to tighten it down and use red loctite, once its locked down it shouldnt move. I ran mine for 2 or 3 years with no issues

So do you think I could do the same for this? Just drill a small hole and wire them on? I am still gonna see if I can find some castle nuts, but even then I have to make a pretty big hole to put a large cotter pin hole, probably like 1/8". So maybe a smaller hole with some SS wire would be better?

On Janssen arms, the upper heim joint does not use a cotter pin. Instread they use a nylock nut. Somehow that kind of nut did not get back on there at some point. :thumbsup:

After looking at the pictures of your arms, disregard what I said previously........... I don't think you have Janssen arms there. Atleast they don't look like any Janssen arms that I have ever seen before. :confused:

So do you think I could do the same for this? Just drill a small hole and wire them on? I am still gonna see if I can find some castle nuts, but even then I have to make a pretty big hole to put a large cotter pin hole, probably like 1/8". So maybe a smaller hole with some SS wire would be better?

i suppose you could. but i wouldnt put a castle nut on there, i'd be putting a locking nut like its supposed to have. then maybe drill the hole far enough back that you can put safter wire or a pin just to keep it from falling off if for any reason it comes loose

ok thanks guys,

Yeah they had the nylon locking nuts on it, but it still came loose somehow. I have all new nuts and I think I will just do a small hole for some safety wire. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. I will probably get new ballpoints next year anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

oh and the dude told me the were janssens, but the older versions. They are beefy as hell though, they also are in the color that janssen uses the most.

I though we were talking about the ball joint tapered stud. From your photo I see what were talking about now. Get new nuts and make sure they are tight, maybe add some locktight after cleaning the threads with a good cleaner. The thread size is big enough they should not come loose.

Get new nuts and make sure they are tight, maybe add some locktight after cleaning the threads with a good cleaner.

Do not put Loctitie on Nylock nuts! Most types of Loctite will degrade the nylon in the Nylock nuts, thus defeating the purpose of both, the Loctite, and the Nylock nut. :thumbsup: