castrol bad?`

Pardee208

hey guys i just got my girls shee back together yesterday, i didnt do anything to the motor, just took off the air box lid, and it had 280 jetts in it with the needle 2nd from the bottem, i didnt have any good oil like klotz, so i went to the auto store and bought some castrol 2 stroke oil just to get her runnin, i mixed it 50.1, and she smokes BAD! and when i wrap on the throttle its not "clean" sounding. i thought the jetting was off so i changed the jetts to a 270 and moved the clip to the middle. it runs better but not great, i was adjusting the air bleeds out and it seems to be getting better, but would the shitty oil make that much of a difference? it also has T5's. and it was about 50 degrees out at 500 elev.

any ideas?

50:1 mite be TOO rich..i run castor 927 at 32:1 with the same 280 jet/toomey t-5/2nd notch on the needle combo that you have.I also run k&n pods (no air box).Im about 100-180 above sea level (depending where im riding that day).Im still running my stock pilot jet though.My plug checks are where they should be.. :biggrin:

50:1 mite be TOO rich..i run castor 927 at 32:1 with the same 280 jet/toomey t-5/2nd notch on the needle combo that you have.I also run k&n pods (no air box).Im about 100-180 above sea level (depending where im riding that day).Im still running my stock pilot jet though.My plug checks are where they should be.. :biggrin:

There is a BIG difference between Castor and Castrol oil. Which are we talking about here?

Just so you know, 32:1 is richer (more oil) then 50:1. think of it this way, 32 drops of gasoline to 1 drop of oil verses 50 drops of gasoline to 1 drop of oil, the lower the number the more oil, the higher the number the less oil.

Just so you know, 32:1 is richer (more oil) then 50:1. think of it this way, 32 drops of gasoline to 1 drop of oil verses 50 drops of gasoline to 1 drop of oil, the lower the number the more oil, the higher the number the less oil.

^ what he said :thumbsup: i did not catch what shudakeptquiet said the first time.

so lets rule out that its not to rich(more oil). why is it smoking so bad?? is it the oil itself thats making it smoke and not so crisp?

^ what he said :thumbsup: i did not catch what shudakeptquiet said the first time.

so lets rule out that its not to rich(more oil). why is it smoking so bad?? is it the oil itself thats making it smoke and not so crisp?

i use the cheapest oil i can find around here and my quad doesent really smoke at all i bought some yamalube once and it smoked just as much so i said fuck it and run the cheap shit. works for me so far anyways.

if you use cheap oil you dont want to mix 50/1 the yamaha manual says 32/1 for yamalube 20/1for anything else =cheaper .The less oil you run the richer the mix more fuel for same amount of air not richer as in oil compared to fuel but fuel compared to air.I run castrol super 2 and mix 24/1 im jetted 280 w/o airbox lid, k&n and fatty pipes at 2500 elevation.Runs like a top

if you use cheap oil you dont want to mix 50/1 the yamaha manual says 32/1 for yamalube 20/1for anything else =cheaper .The less oil you run the richer the mix more fuel for same amount of air not richer as in oil compared to fuel but fuel compared to air.I run castrol super 2 and mix 24/1 im jetted 280 w/o airbox lid, k&n and fatty pipes at 2500 elevation.Runs like a top

24-1?? thats alot of oil! I use to run spectra 32-1 in my yz and I had to hold it WOT so it wouldnt foul a plug. after learing more about oil and mixures i ran 50-1 klots r50 and it runs great now. Oil has a big difference how how your machine runs. just my $.02