Success with Pc'in stock arms

Loki

Hey guys I got all my frame and shit Pc'd this week and I told them just to sandblast the a-arms as I thought I'd just get them 2-pac'd. To my surprise when I went and picked everything up there were the a-arms all done. Supposedly one of the guys at the shop has been pci'n for a good decade or more and just had a good look at em and figured a way to oven bake them, dont know how exactly cuz he wuldn't tell me but they did it and it didn't ruin them.

I'll up pics this weekend when I start puttin the frame back together.

Hey guys I got all my frame and shit Pc'd this week and I told them just to sandblast the a-arms as I thought I'd just get them 2-pac'd. To my surprise when I went and picked everything up there were the a-arms all done. Supposedly one of the guys at the shop has been pci'n for a good decade or more and just had a good look at em and figured a way to oven bake them, dont know how exactly cuz he wuldn't tell me but they did it and it didn't ruin them.

I'll up pics this weekend when I start puttin the frame back together.

That's interesting. Are you sure he didn't just use an IR Lamp? Also I'm not sure how to tell if they are ruined, myself, but how do you know they are still ok?

I would imagine they would still move fine but can you tell if the teflon is still good??

I'm not being a smartass I'm truly curious because I ended up painting mine and they are already accumulating chips and all I've done is put them on the bike so far...

I'm not sure why these arms could not be done. Teflon is widely known for it's temperature resistance. It has an workable operating temp of -400 deg F to 500 deg F.

(go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ & type in teflon).

According to this site

http://www.lenntech.com/teflon.htm

the melting point of Teflon is 327 deg C (620 deg F). Dupont, the makers of Teflon claim their the lowest melting point more any type of Teflon is 500 deg F.

http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon_Industrial/e...fo_compare.html

Powder coated parts are cured at 375-400 deg F. If parts are being ruined, I wonder if it is actually Teflon inside the ball joints and not some other cheap plastic. I would also be curious of the grease inside the joint. What about the rubber the ball joint boot is made from? What type of rubber is this?

Just like nitro above, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I really want to have my a-arms done as well & so far don't see a huge reason as to why not. But people on here have got their arms ruined by this & the reason doesn't seem totally clear.

Edited by timjz

Definitely oven bbaked as I had asked if they do IR and he said no. all he said was they sat down and worked out what was at risk and made sure that those parts were protected, the boots came out as good as they were when I took em in and as for how i can tell they don't feel any different and I can't see any melted plastic or and other substance in or around the joint. Only time will tell but I do have some faith in these guys after what I've seen and it was word of mouth from people at my work that got me onto them.

Yeah, if they definitely used an oven then the only other way I could see that they may have done it is by decreasing the cure temp and increasing the time. That's what I was considering doing on mine but made the decision not to chance it.

I may have missed it but what color did you go with?

If it's a gloss or especially a translucent color then look at it REALLY closely in real good sunlight and look for tiny hairline spiderweb cracks that look like they are under the surface.

If you see that, there is a possibility of undercure, and if that's the case they probably did go with lower temp and longer time... Just a thought

• 2 weeks later...
Loki, can you provide the name of the shop that did this for you? What did it cost? I would love to get my a-arms done.

Don't know if it'll help you much unless you live in Brisbane, Australia but the shop's called Global Powder Coating. Damn good service and price... Everything and I mean everything on the bike blasted and coated for $300

• 10 months later...
If A-Arms cant be powdercoated can they be chrome dipped? I see alot of people with mirror looking finish on their a arms I am just curious how this was accomplished

thanks for the help :biggrin:

Not an issue because the chrome tank is only around 98 deg.

Yeah, if they definitely used an oven then the only other way I could see that they may have done it is by decreasing the cure temp and increasing the time. That's what I was considering doing on mine but made the decision not to chance it.

I may have missed it but what color did you go with?

If it's a gloss or especially a translucent color then look at it REALLY closely in real good sunlight and look for tiny hairline spiderweb cracks that look like they are under the surface.

If you see that, there is a possibility of undercure, and if that's the case they probably did go with lower temp and longer time... Just a thought

Totally off topic but your bike looks nice, it's different. I wanted to get my pipes powdercoated candy blue like my frame but he said it was going to burnoff, that I had to go with ceramic coating but it wasn't going to be blue, but anyway nice bike bro.

• 3 weeks later...