Swap frame for green sticker

Bikeatrol

Has anyone (from California) purchased a pre 2003 frame and swapped it with their new one to get a California green sticker? I have a 2006 50th anniv. edition with a red sticker. I have the means to purchase an older frame that will be eligible for a green. If I buy the older frame, can I swap my new stuff into it and legally obtain a green sticker?

You have to register the old frame through the DMV, but you cant tell them what you are doing. Just get the old frame registered as if it were a complete bike, then swap all your stuff over. No one will be the wiser. On paper, and in the DMV you will now be riding a 2002 or whatever year bike, with all your new stuff. Just sell your 06 frame with title or hang on to it what ever you want.

Edited by rubberneck

WHAT? That is crazy.. What is the reasoning behind this?

Only the environmentalists and scientologists know the reason.

It would be a ridiculous amount of work to pull this off IMO. You might have to take the bike to the CHP first for them to validate the vin on the old frame of your "old bike" (Plus whatever the hell they do besides scratch up your plastics: they don't let you watch). Then register it with the DMV.

I could be wrong though, if the frame is from a bike that was registered in CA you might not need to do that step, just re-register as the older bike.

I swapped from my 2000 to an 05 Red Frame and had to take it to the CHP for them to put my old vin on a new frame, but thats another story, but even that was a PITA and even though the old frame was repairable I had to give it to them so they could destroy it in order to keep the vin and retain my green sticker...

Edited by Justintoxicated