Anyone recovered a seat?

gentner8

Im just wondering what kind of staple gun to use and what the basic procedure is. Ive never done one before and I dont want to F it up.

i used an electric staple gun...some spray glue and a hot glue gun

basically hot glue down where u wanna start at and go from there the spray glue holds the cover to the seat make sure u get it right the 1st time

afyter all said and done then i stapled mine

An air stapler works best, the electric ones can be a pain in the ass causing the staples to bounce back. The hot glue is a good idea for a beginner I suppose. Use heat to make the cover nice and pliable and it makes the job a million times easier, something like a heat gun (be VERY careful not to melt) or if you have one of those steamers for clothes that would work great. We used to use a steam machine on all covers when I worked in the auto upholstery industry.

I've recovered many...

What kind of air stapler and what size staples? I have a stapler that I use for subfloors, but the staples would be way too long.

I used a Porter Cable air stapler for crown molding, etc, found the shortest staples I could...

You have to angle them into the foam, but it gets tricky near the front where the plastic and the foam get a LOT thinner, I did have to pull a few out.

Turn the regulator down to about 30 to 50 PSI, and most air staplers have a depth adjustment for how far into the material it will shoot the staple...

Heating it up before and during installation is a good idea. I bet 10 minutes in a dryer wouldn't hurt it a bit....:)

I was almost home when I tried to stretch it too hard.....ripped the corner. Im so mad, I can hardly drink this beer. I just hope the wife can make it look decent enough to salvage since its just a seam tear. :banghead:

you can always buy some fabrice and take it to a upholster shop and have them make you a new cover and install it. i got mine made and installed for 45 bucks

Just did mine the other night. I also used a t-50 stapler that turned out to be a pain in the ass. All in all it turned out to be a 2 hour ordeal and i think id rather pay someone 30 bucks at a shop than do it myself.

I just let my buddy who does upholstry do my stuff.........turns out so much better, and he doesn't charge me. Just had him put on my gripper seat cover.

• 3 weeks later...

12-13-07_1847.jpg

01-25-08_0936-1.jpg

02-02-08_1405.jpg

12-08-07_1735.jpg

You can also use a heat gun or even a blow dryer if your trying to stretch it a little to get wrinkles out. You can actually warm it up pretty good just don't get to close and if you start your staples rear and front first it will be easier than the side first for the rear corner to line up. Electric and air staplers both work good. If you want to shave foam off for a different shape you can use a 50 grid disk on a 6" air grinder. Just for those of you who want to do it yourself. If you guys need any custom seat covers let me know. $30-$50 is a killer deal though for a complete basic seat.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been making,recovering,restoring and shaving custom seats for over 5 years.

The air staplers are the best to use.Be sure to use one for upholstery work and the staples are no longer than 1/4 inch.

If you use too long of a staple,they will cut into the bottom of your foam and ruin it.Also use galvanized or stainless staples sothey will not rust.

Here is some of our work from

www.cosmicquads.com.

Tecflam600.jpg

265rseatforpb.jpg

seatforpb.jpg

250rpbseat.jpg

sheeseatforpb.jpg

Edited by 2twin350s