suggested mods to do?

adeezy9183

hey guys i just got an 02 banshee and an 04 polaris scrambler 500 4x4. funny thing is i traded an 88 mustang gt rolling chassis setup for drag racing. the shee was just bored .20 over with wiseco pistons in october. it has 30 mm mikuni carbs, boost bottle and a pro-flow intake kit. ( i think that's the brand name. not sure) anyways, theirs nothing wrong with either of them. the polaris even has a winch and a tow hitch on it. both are in great shape. the guy even gave me the invoice 4 the motor work on the banshee. I have to say that it is the fastest banshee i have been on. i know the jetting is spot on. it starts on the 1st kick and i don't even have to choke it and the weather here has been about 40 degrees on average. it has the stock pipes on it. im not for sure if it has aftermarket reeds or not. anyways, i was wondering what mods i could do to it to make it even better. it has big ass dirt devil tires on it now, so i know hole shots or mx razrs alone would make it run better, due to the weight difference. anyways, thanks and keep up the good work. later

pipes are a good start. try and match the pipes to the kind of riding you do. dunes-> top end pipe, woods/trails-> lowend to mid pipe. unless you go with a stroker crank and big bore jugs stick with the carbs you got now. the stock reeds will probably do for now as well. porting , more compression/aftermarket head , timing advance and aftermarket reeds are all good mods but this all depends on how and where you ride.

I plan on riding mostly woods/trails. maybe an occasional spin on a track. hill climbs stuff like that. i'm guessing a low to mid pipe would be the best. what would you recommend. i had a dynaport 2 into 1 on my old banshee and the 2 into 1 carb kit. i love that power band tho!!

PT mids, dmc 916's or FMF's. pro-circuit and toomey t-5s are good pipes too but come on just a bit higher in rpm range. (imo)

Edited by the grinch

what's the easiest way to advance the timing 4 degrees? should i get one of those keys or a programmer type thing? would i have to change the jetting on the carbs?

Timing key or the timing plate. If all you ever plan to do is 4 degrees then the key will work. People say they sheer off, but the only thing the key does is index the flywheel on the crank. The taper on the flywheel and crank is what holds the flywheel on and when people have problems with them sheering off its from improper torque, not the key. If you only want to go 4 degrees, then the key will work, just be sure to tighten and torque it all back up good.

The timing plate is what most people go for. It gives you more adjustability, and if you dont like the key idea, they work great. I use the timing plate on mine.

if i got the key and changed the timing to 4 degrees, i wouldn't have to run race gas would i? i run 93 now and i don't wanna pay over 6$ a gallon for 110 or whatever. lol. f&%k that. so if i put the paul turner midrange pipes on it and advanced the timing 4 degrees, i would notice a big difference? would i also have to rejet? i already have a pro design air intake set up