pro armor engine skid

Michael Jackson

well i decided to use a gift certificate i got for xmas on a pro armor engine skid plate from rocky mountain, the fit is horrible, it barley lines up, the alum brackets they give you are not even close to long enough, one hole is in about the worst spot possible, with the bracket jammed inbetween the stator cover and frame wedged in,,just absolutley horrible fit, dont ever buy one, its gona take like 50 washers to get this thing to mount up right so the bolts arnt goin in sideways into the brackets if you know what i mean, and the bolts they give you are about as cheap as they come , i could propbably bend them in my hands with 2 pairs of pliers, total garbage for $100, ill never buy anything from pro armor again

Ok thanx i was planning on getting one of those also. Besides it not mounting up right how is the quality of the skid it's self? Looks effin beefy as hell from pics of it on there site and looks killer too with the flares coming up around the frame under the motor.

So you going to make it work or some shit or you going to trade it to me for some wine gums :blink: :cool:

Pics of it mounted on your bike?!?

Edited by savage420

its pretty nice quality, otherwise, be nice if it was 1/4" instead of 3/16 but its polished real nice on the up side if that matters at all, it flares out real nice around the stator cover and clutch cover on both sides, its needs like a 4" square cut out of the bottom on both sides where it sits over the part of the frame where the pegs thread into, because its not level with the rest of the frame so it doesnt even sit flat against the frame , and the brackets to hold it to the frame are absolutley horrible, they look like they were intended for a arms, i couldnt even get the one in between my frame and stattor cover the hole was so bar back but luckilly i had an old a arm skid bracket and it was thinner so it could fit, im really just thinkign about taking it off and sending it back to them..id have to put like $10 worth of washers and better bolts on there to evebn make it work, not to mention probaly trim about 3-4" square off the bottom corner so it would sit flat

i would think it would be better than that being a big name :shrug:

i bought mine off ebay. it was from j&j racing or something like that. it was 100 shipped to canada for the engine and a arm skids. it is only 1/8 though, and doesnt flare up at the edges. i had a bit of a time getting it lined up, and it seemed as though some of the straps should have been longer to fit properly on mine too.

idk, it might be the popular thing to make them hard to install or something. my AC swinger plate was a bitch to get on there too :confused:

i like the confidence of having them there now though

• 2 weeks later...
go with prm i got 1 & it fit perfect havent got to try it out yet on the trails but the fit is nice

Well lets see that shit then !!!

finally put it on, had to use my friends porta-ban to cut a little peice from one corner so it would sit flat, i got it to mount up pretty good using 1 washer between the bolt and bottom of skidplate and another on the other side between the back of the skidplate and bracket, its on pretty dam good now, the only thing i am concerned with is one of the aluminum brackets is sandwiched between my frame and stator cover, and of course the motor rattles and is rubbing on it... im not sure if i can take any material off the bracket with a grinder, becuase its already pretty thin..ill take a couple pics in a bit and show you what i mean

finally put it on, had to use my friends porta-ban to cut a little peice from one corner so it would sit flat, i got it to mount up pretty good using 1 washer between the bolt and bottom of skidplate and another on the other side between the back of the skidplate and bracket, its on pretty dam good now, the only thing i am concerned with is one of the aluminum brackets is sandwiched between my frame and stator cover, and of course the motor rattles and is rubbing on it... im not sure if i can take any material off the bracket with a grinder, becuase its already pretty thin..ill take a couple pics in a bit and show you what i mean

Ok sweet thanx.

They just look tough as nails and look awesome also.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, yea sorry ill take some pics, it actually looks great now that i finally got it on and sitting flat agaisnt the frame, i really like the spots where it comes out at a 45 degree angle to block the stator cover and ont he clutch side too, i just thought itd be thicker than 1/8" , im not sure how it will hold up, i havnt ridden with it and probaly wont be riding for at least another month or so, i will take some pics of it mounted up once i get my rear end back on, its sittin on jack stands right now with no swingarm/axle ect..so i cant really take pics of the underneith