crank welding?

ok so i have a new 5mm long rod stroker crank on the way. im gonna weld it but i was wondering if i really have to send it off to get it done or can i use my TIG and just fuse the web to the crank with just the heat and not adding metal or is it more complicated than that? if that is a route i can take is it neccessary to fuse it all the way around or can i just do it in several spots?

ok so i have a new 5mm long rod stroker crank on the way. im gonna weld it but i was wondering if i really have to send it off to get it done or can i use my TIG and just fuse the web to the crank with just the heat and not adding metal or is it more complicated than that? if that is a route i can take is it neccessary to fuse it all the way around or can i just do it in several spots?

Tig is what the builder doing mine uses to do them. Don't know if he uses rod or not though. He does weld it all the way around and burns it deep, I think there is some teqnique to it so you don't pull it out of phase with the heat, not sure.

Edited by slobanshee06

You gotta be set up to do it write. Crank fixtures dial indicators & checking to make sure it's in faze. Send it to Jeff. It's not that exspensive have it done write. If it's not done write or that bike will ride like an old shopping carriage. Thats if it starts if it's out of faze. You got some dude that smoked a joint on the line that put your crank together. I'd have i it checked and done write. IMO The guys that did it on their owne with out the tools GOT LUCKY

Edited by lonestar

TIG is about the only welding method you should use on a crank. If somebody says they are using something else.........run away. :biggrin: