trailtech vapor

doorslammer

hey all

just got my trail tech vapor.

just some questions

which radiator hose do i put the temp sensor in?

should i use the brake rotor bolt with the magnet or glue the other magnet on?

how do tap the power without using a battery, can someone give me pics of how they did it and what they connected where?

thanks

Edited by doorslammer

The temp sensor goes into the return line, the one that goes out of the cylinder head to the radiator. Use the magnet bolt, it works good and just dig into the harness under the tank, let the bike idles and take a voltmeter, search for a 8-12V supply when the bike idles, ground one wire. This Vapor is easy to install the power to, it works from 0.1-300V I think. You can tap 12 V from the regulator as well.

Edited by 2strokespirit

As said, you want the temp sensor in the return line that way you are reading the hottest water temp in the system. I originally tapped into the power system at the plug that leads to the handlebar mounted switches. I pulled the pin out of the connector that is the power feed to the headlights and soldered a small wire to the pin that i then ran to the vapor. You also need to run one wire from the coil to the vapor to pick up the tachometer sensor. I had nothing but problems with the tachometer going crazy when i tried to use the shees electrical system, so i mounted a small hobby style battery where the stock tool kit would ride. Tach still isn't great, but I never use it anyway, cant look at it and ride IMHO. Mostly I like the odometer and the temp warning lights. Definitely use the magnetic bolt they supply, and you will need to either tweek the "C" bracket they send or drill your dust covers to accept the sensor.. As supplied, the "C" bracket will not line up with the bolt holes on the banshee spindle, but you can "massage" it into working. LOL oh yean, the handlbar mount they supply is shitty, mine broke from the vibration on the first trip out, never hit anything, it just cracked in 2. I am making an aluminum mount that will attach to my handlebar risers before my next ride. Hope this helps a little

As said, you want the temp sensor in the return line that way you are reading the hottest water temp in the system. I originally tapped into the power system at the plug that leads to the handlebar mounted switches. I pulled the pin out of the connector that is the power feed to the headlights and soldered a small wire to the pin that i then ran to the vapor. You also need to run one wire from the coil to the vapor to pick up the tachometer sensor. I had nothing but problems with the tachometer going crazy when i tried to use the shees electrical system, so i mounted a small hobby style battery where the stock tool kit would ride. Tach still isn't great, but I never use it anyway, cant look at it and ride IMHO. Mostly I like the odometer and the temp warning lights. Definitely use the magnetic bolt they supply, and you will need to either tweek the "C" bracket they send or drill your dust covers to accept the sensor.. As supplied, the "C" bracket will not line up with the bolt holes on the banshee spindle, but you can "massage" it into working. LOL oh yean, the handlbar mount they supply is shitty, mine broke from the vibration on the first trip out, never hit anything, it just cracked in 2. I am making an aluminum mount that will attach to my handlebar risers before my next ride. Hope this helps a little

I guess you did change the pulse mode for the tach? Its not very accurate yes, especially on high rpms, mine is ok though. I made a aluminum bracket for mine. I had lots of troubles with my vapor, speedo cables is the 3rd one, I used it just for temp anyways.

post-23402-1198238108_thumb.jpg

I guess you did change the pulse mode for the tach? Its not very accurate yes, especially on high rpms, mine is ok though. I made a aluminum bracket for mine. I had lots of troubles with my vapor, speedo cables is the 3rd one, I used it just for temp anyways.

Yeah, all the settings are correct. i think my bike may have had a really noisy electrical system. I tried running resistor plugs, no effect. Tach just seems to suck. I tried hooking it up every way suggested, and shielding the signal wire. Just doesn't seem to work very well, but like I said, I really dont care. I just replaced the stator and regulator, and i have not tried hooking back up to the shees elec system. If I were to start over, I would probably just do a plain ol temp guage and be done. The odometer feature is neat, but i could live without it. I do like being able to monitor temps though and the programable idiot lights are a nice feature. I am going to make a bracket similar to yours, only one that will allow me to put 2 trail tech light up there also.

Edited by rubberneck

The best thing i've got to work for the power is.....just zip tie a small 9volt battery to the frame up front and use it. The power will last for months with no issues. Works great. The tech at trail tech gave me that tip. He recommends this for the banshee's. Hope this helps.

The best thing i've got to work for the power is.....just zip tie a small 9volt battery to the frame up front and use it. The power will last for months with no issues. Works great. The tech at trail tech gave me that tip. He recommends this for the banshee's. Hope this helps.

you mean like a little 9v they use in tv remotes etc

thanks for everyones help to!

did you mean like this bobby banshee

P1000440.jpg

solder the red wire to the red one and the black one to the black one and plug her in?

ya, thats exactly what i mean. It works great and easy to replace if need. Just zip tie it the the front frame.

Also what should i set the overheat LED to go off?

thanks again...lol

I set my low temp warning at 200 and my overheat at 220. I dont think you would do any damage until higher than that, but that makes me pay attention soon enough that I can get her shut down or turned into the wind.

did you mean like this bobby banshee

P1000440.jpg

solder the red wire to the red one and the black one to the black one and plug her in?

Basically same thing I did, but I ran wires down frame the back of the bike and put the battery in the spot where the tool kit goes. Wrap it in a little foam and it stays put really nice in there and is really easy to get to to change the battery