cleaning crankcase?

DuneRookie

Any easy way to clean out a crankcase with out splitting case. Need to be sure I dust out any possible sand.

You are just going to push funk into the bearings. If you have problems, I recommend brake cleaner with the little tube in the oiling holes and paper towels. If that don;t do it, split em. Now that did not sound right. Unless you are a 5'10 blonde with ID hardware.

Brandon

When I broke the crown off a piston earlier this year, I pulled the top end off and dumped purge gas/oil into the crankcase with a cup. Swished it, rolled the crank over and over, poured it out....

Repeat 4 or 5 times....

put mine back together, ran fine the rest of the year...including now if we ever get ice to ride on..LOL.

When I broke the crown off a piston earlier this year, I pulled the top end off and dumped purge gas/oil into the crankcase with a cup. Swished it, rolled the crank over and over, poured it out....

Repeat 4 or 5 times....

put mine back together, ran fine the rest of the year...including now if we ever get ice to ride on..LOL.

That is how I have done it as well. Do not use brake cleaner as mentioned above. It will destroy your crank seals, and we all know what happens then!!!!!

Repeat 4 or 5 times....

is there a way to clean it out with top end removed and it mounted on the frame!!!!

is there a way to clean it out with top end removed and it mounted on the frame!!!!

it only takes 15 min to pull the motor out of the frame. not that much longer to split the cases.

I have rinsed them out with atf before, and I have also just split them for piece of mind. Its your call.

You never can be to sure of if you got all of the little pieces out by just rinsing them out.

Its your call though

Well....sure, bring some buddies over and tip it...:)

Honestly, alcoholbanshee, badassshee and I all have drag bikes. there's nothing to them...not as much to remove, etc.

With a cigarette break, we can pull our motors in 15 minutes, solo.

My motor was already out, just so much easier to work on a bench than hunched over or on a chair.

It really depends on what kind of damage you did, how much sand you think you may have sucked, etc.

I've got a drag bike...so if the motor goes, within a week it's being torn down. You may not...and probably plan on riding it for quite some time. you might want to tear it down for good measure.

Us drag racing guys think nothing of tearing an engine out and tearing it down, common practice. It might be a more daunting task for others not as experienced or gung ho....

Just me .02.

it only takes 15 min to pull the motor out of the frame. not that much longer to split the cases.

I have rinsed them out with atf before, and I have also just split them for piece of mind. Its your call.

You never can be to sure of if you got all of the little pieces out by just rinsing them out.

Its your call though

That is pretty much, where I was headed. can't tell you how many times we made the decision to split them and found "hiding" debris on there. You can just never be sure. In our business, we have to do it because when you have crap in the bottom end, the bearing condition must be assessed.

Brandon

Well....sure, bring some buddies over and tip it...:)

Honestly, alcoholbanshee, badassshee and I all have drag bikes. there's nothing to them...not as much to remove, etc.

With a cigarette break, we can pull our motors in 15 minutes, solo.

My motor was already out, just so much easier to work on a bench than hunched over or on a chair.

It really depends on what kind of damage you did, how much sand you think you may have sucked, etc.

I've got a drag bike...so if the motor goes, within a week it's being torn down. You may not...and probably plan on riding it for quite some time. you might want to tear it down for good measure.

Us drag racing guys think nothing of tearing an engine out and tearing it down, common practice. It might be a more daunting task for others not as experienced or gung ho....

Just me .02.

I can see some sand on my crank, it must of fell in when i took my top end off it was between the two cylinders... i don't really want to remove my engine or split the case, So im gonna just have to invite some buddy's over for the tipping. As for the solvent what's the best stuff to use that won't cause any damage to the internal components...? and was that dude serious about the garden hose?

When I broke the crown off a piston earlier this year, I pulled the top end off and l dumped purge gas/oil into the crankcase with a cup. Swished it, rolled the crank over and over, poured it out....

Repeat 4 or 5 times....

l dumped purge gas/oil

Is that same as my premix?

Edited by DuneRookie

I vote to remove the engine and split the cases. No better piece of mind than that.

Whenever i melt a crown or break a piston i tear it ALL the way down.

I did the swish with gas thing (6-7 times i forget) and still puked the crank on the next ride.