Making low pitch clutter sound from clutch side!

Banshee0028

Rebuilt motor and put in a new clutch and primary gear. The primary gear has a "91" etched into the side of it when my old one had a "90" on it. Not sure if that would cause a difference meshing with the original clutch gears or not.

I used a mechanics stethoscope today and isolated the sounds right around the kicker area. So I am thinking the idler gear may be rubbing with the clutch gears. When I turned the clutch over manually it did sound like a small amount of occasional rubbing when spinning? The c clip was on there a week ago, but I am taking it apart this weekended to check again. The kick starter appears to work fine, but could it be possible for it to be installed wrong? I have the spring into the one groove in the case, and the other part on the top dowel on the side.

I have a video with sound of how it sounds when running I will post soon..... Any suggestions so far?

Edited by Banshee0028

Take out your clutch basket, grab the basket and big gear on the back of the basket and see if there is any play. The clutch cushions may be wore a little and making some noise. Easy fix.

Take out your clutch basket, grab the basket and big gear on the back of the basket and see if there is any play. The clutch cushions may be wore a little and making some noise. Easy fix.

Thanks theshee...LOL But thats exactly what I just did after your recommendations. Put in a new basket and cushions and it does the same thing :banghead:

I think this is more of a metal on metal sound but not that bad like a grinding sound. Thats why I think its either the new primary gear OR the kicker gear and idler gear thingy .... Will post link soon...

Is it possible for the kick starter assembly to be installed wrong causing noise even though it seems to work? I will be taking everything apart this weekend, but I just want to have a better idea of what is causing these problems!

usally when they make the noise you describe the clip comes off the kicker gear , it will still stay on but it will move around alot against the basket ,

take the clutch cover off and inspect everything

usally when they make the noise you describe the clip comes off the kicker gear , it will still stay on but it will move around alot against the basket ,

take the clutch cover off and inspect everything

Yep. I've had two clips come off of mine. I had metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug as a result, but no major damage.

Yep. I've had two clips come off of mine. I had metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug as a result, but no major damage.

Same here, once anyway. The idler gear bushing wears and mine walked around and spit the snap ring and washer off...then the clutch outer gear ate the washer :confused: I got a new washer and idler gear bushing from FAST (thanks man), pressed out the old one and pressed in the new one, good to go.

I put all new kicker springs, new washers and clips for the idler gears, and it sill does it! I think I know what it could be: There is a little bit of play between the clutch gears and the primary gear! I have a new basket so the cushions are perfectly tight. The play is between the gears themselves and along the shaft. With only the basket on the shaft, it has a little play from left, right, up and down even with the clutch nut on perfectly tight! Is it possible to replace the copper looking bushing in it? I think thats what I might need to fix this..

Edited by Banshee0028