Running alky in the cold

kojack

Does anyone know of issues running alky in the cold. I have heard from some that it seperates and from others that they run theirs on frozen lakes. So I dont know exactly what to think about running it in the cold. I was wanting to use mine on the snowmobile trails that are packed snow. Last year I had a blast doing that with my other banshee but I think the alky would be funner to run in these conditions. Any input is appreciated.

The couple times I have been around alky bikes in the 20's they didn't seem to like it well.. I think one of the problems is t he bike doesn't want to warm up being that the alky runs cold anyways.. Iam personly not to up on alky but the little I know tells me its tricky in cold.. Also all the alky bikes that day were having typical jetting issues due to the change as dynodon mentioned..

RIPPEN

I guess my whole jist with running alky in the winter is, why? The main reason for the alky is the chemical cooling of the air,fuel,oil mixture. So if the ambient air is already maybe 30 degrees the air will probably offset the cooling effect of the charge. Just my .02...

I guess my whole jist with running alky in the winter is, why? The main reason for the alky is the chemical cooling of the air,fuel,oil mixture. So if the ambient air is already maybe 30 degrees the air will probably offset the cooling effect of the charge. Just my .02...

twice the power why. My other banshee would be spinning the whole time up the hill and start to heat up, belive it or not. I would have to let it cool down after climbing the one hill about half way up which is about 2 1/2 miles. I know what you mean by the cooling. I love running my alky in the summer when its 100 out and i never have to cool it down. Im more concerned with seperation of oil and other issues. The power is definately the reason why.-Erik

klotz super technaplate is designed for cold weather. hope you plan on running a pump if you are gonna run alky. you will suck the bowls dry going 2 miles with it!!

only hard part with alky is getting it to start in the cold. get the either out.

Also a good idea to block half the radiator so you can get some heat in the motor.

klotz super technaplate is designed for cold weather. hope you plan on running a pump if you are gonna run alky. you will suck the bowls dry going 2 miles with it!!

only hard part with alky is getting it to start in the cold. get the either out.

Also a good idea to block half the radiator so you can get some heat in the motor.

im running klotz techniplate now and I like it. It does start a little hard in the cold. I will block off some of the radiatior. I have a pingel dual flow with mikumi's ftz 3.5.5 flat slide carbs with big bowls. I dont plan on going wot all the way up the hill probably 1/3 throttle until i get to some fun climb that I will wot at. Do you still think I will have a problem with draiinig the bowls?

I had the billet oversized bowls on all of our bikes and never ran out of fuel with a pingle. You shouldnt have a problem. And you DONT need to run a pump.

You will have a hard time starting it in the cold though

Don you sure?Nates building me your exact same motor and he told me Pingle,Big bowls and Pump.Im going to be using this for 1/4 and 1/8 and for my ocala trail rides.Did you ever run your monster on asphault?