newbie questions

whats up..I'm new to the forum and new to banshees. and i have a few stupid questions because i don't know much about these quads. i bought this banshee on Sunday from a girl who rides mx its a 2000 it was setup for drag it has a 12 inch extended swing arm and slicks...it has mostly stock internals other then new JE .20 over pistons. it has boost bottle,pro-circut frame exhausts, pro design cool head,stock carbs with jet kit,delta V-force reeds with spacers and a toomey 2n1 intake..my first question is..the girl said she always ran 112 octane in it i cant get 112 around here its either 108 or 117 so which should i go with? and she said she always mixed it 32:1 does that sound right? and what kind of 2 cycle oil should i use? can i run the havoline tcw-3? and do these things shift without using the clutch? i used to have a 400ex that you had to use the clutch to shift gears and on this thing it seems like u don't have to it just shifts without it is that OK to do that? also they have the front fenders cut off on it and i plan on putting the stock swing arm back on and riding this thing in the dirt and snow so is that gonna be a problem? i don't want it to kick up rocks and slush and water all over me when I'm riding so is that gonna be a problem? how bad is it to not have front fenders in the snow and dirt? i don't mind getting dirty but i don't really feel like having a huge rock crack me in the shin bone or getting soaked riding in the snow.. I'm also wondering how often i have to check or change the coolant and oil and tranny fluid.. what type of coolant ,oil and tranny fluid do i use?

frist off welcome to bhq...

as far as the race gas...do a compression test on each cylinder.. if you over 150-155 you need race gas...

the fenders... i love the look of cut fenders...but the stock fenders are nice in muddy stuff..

throw the stcok size swinger on there and some good tires

i run yamalube 2-r 32:1 but im going to switch to maxim 927....

i think i covered it all

whats up..I'm new to the forum and new to banshees. and i have a few stupid questions because i don't know much about these quads. i bought this banshee on Sunday from a girl who rides mx its a 2000 it was setup for drag it has a 12 inch extended swing arm and slicks...it has mostly stock internals other then new JE .20 over pistons. it has boost bottle,pro-circut frame exhausts, pro design cool head,stock carbs with jet kit,delta V-force reeds with spacers and a toomey 2n1 intake..my first question is..the girl said she always ran 112 octane in it i cant get 112 around here its either 108 or 117 so which should i go with? and she said she always mixed it 32:1 does that sound right? and what kind of 2 cycle oil should i use? can i run the havoline tcw-3? and do these things shift without using the clutch? i used to have a 400ex that you had to use the clutch to shift gears and on this thing it seems like u don't have to it just shifts without it is that OK to do that? also they have the front fenders cut off on it and i plan on putting the stock swing arm back on and riding this thing in the dirt and snow so is that gonna be a problem? i don't want it to kick up rocks and slush and water all over me when I'm riding so is that gonna be a problem? how bad is it to not have front fenders in the snow and dirt? i don't mind getting dirty but i don't really feel like having a huge rock crack me in the shin bone or getting soaked riding in the snow.. I'm also wondering how often i have to check or change the coolant and oil and tranny fluid.. what type of coolant ,oil and tranny fluid do i use?

ISo your saying she used to ride MX then she switched over to drag racing? You cannot ride on an MX Track with a 12" extended swingarm plus that sounds like its way to long with pro circut pipes. Theya are an all around pipe not a drag pipe plus the stock carbs with the Toomey 2:1 filter in an airbox there is no reason this bike needs a 12 over swingarm even if you have a full drag port. Are you sure its not a +2 extended swingarm?

If she was useing 112 octane there must be some very small domes in that coolhead bumping up the compression that high. You need to buy a compression tester from autozone or somewhere like that (Spark plugs at Autozone are 1.79 a piece as well you need to use B8ES OR BR8ES Use the search for witch one to use) (Also never go to the dealership for parts they will charge you p the ass check out the sponcers on this site Rockymountainatv.com is also a good fair priced internet shop) use the 14mm adaptor screw it in the coolhead 1 side at a time hold the throttle wide open and kick untill it stops reading. Do one side at a time youll see. Like stated 155 and above calls for at least a 25/75 110/93 octane 165-180 and higher psi calls for straight race fuel.

32:1 is a good mixture I would use either Yamalube 2-R Castor 927 Or Klotz 2 cycle oil. Yes you have to use the clutch everytime you shift. You can speed shift by not letting off the throttle pulling in the clutch and shifting.

I personaly run the front fenders for reasons you listed but you dont have too its not gonna kill you youll just get mudyer. You can put the stock swingarm back on and try it out you should be alrite from the way it sounds like the bike is setup then sell the +12. Also sell the slicks and get some Kenda Knarlys or a Razr tire set for dirt riding.

I change my coolant every 3 months. I use the Maxima 50/50 blend another great coolant is Engine Ice for the warmer weather you really shouldnt run that stuff in the dead of winter cause it has a 33 degree freezing point, water wetter mixed with distiled water is fantastic also.

Trans/clutch oil I use Motorex 10w30, Yamalube 4 or BelRay gearsaver are also good products. I stick with 10w30 some guys use heavier like 10w85 its all about prefrence and it takes 1.5 quarts to fill it after a change. I change mine after every ten rides.

Covers your questions. Welcome to the HQ and the SEARCH BUTTON will really help you out. Be sure to use it.

ISo your saying she used to ride MX then she switched over to drag racing? You cannot ride on an MX Track with a 12" extended swingarm plus that sounds like its way to long with pro circut pipes. Theya are an all around pipe not a drag pipe plus the stock carbs with the Toomey 2:1 filter in an airbox there is no reason this bike needs a 12 over swingarm even if you have a full drag port. Are you sure its not a +2 extended swingarm?

If she was using 112 octane there must be some very small domes in that coolhead bumping up the compression that high. You need to buy a compression tester from autozone or somewhere like that (Spark plugs at Autozone are 1.79 a piece as well you need to use B8ES OR BR8ES Use the search for witch one to use) (Also never go to the dealership for parts they will charge you p the ass check out the sponcers on this site Rockymountainatv.com is also a good fair priced internet shop) use the 14mm adaptor screw it in the coolhead 1 side at a time hold the throttle wide open and kick untill it stops reading. Do one side at a time youll see. Like stated 155 and above calls for at least a 25/75 110/93 octane 165-180 and higher psi calls for straight race fuel.

32:1 is a good mixture I would use either Yamalube 2-R Castor 927 Or Klotz 2 cycle oil. Yes you have to use the clutch everytime you shift. You can speed shift by not letting off the throttle pulling in the clutch and shifting.

I personaly run the front fenders for reasons you listed but you dont have too its not gonna kill you youll just get mudyer. You can put the stock swingarm back on and try it out you should be alrite from the way it sounds like the bike is setup then sell the +12. Also sell the slicks and get some Kenda Knarlys or a Razr tire set for dirt riding.

I change my coolant every 3 months. I use the Maxima 50/50 blend another great coolant is Engine Ice for the warmer weather you really shouldnt run that stuff in the dead of winter cause it has a 33 degree freezing point, water wetter mixed with distiled water is fantastic also.

Trans/clutch oil I use Motorex 10w30, Yamalube 4 or BelRay gearsaver are also good products. I stick with 10w30 some guys use heavier like 10w85 its all about prefrence and it takes 1.5 quarts to fill it after a change. I change mine after every ten rides.

Covers your questions. Welcome to the HQ and the SEARCH BUTTON will really help you out. Be sure to use it.

ok first off thanks for the quick replies..im sure it is a 12 inch extended swing arm she bought this from another guy who already had it built up she has like 10 4 wheelers so this one was never used for MX it was just an extra toy she bought and only ever took it on the street.. and as for the compression i think she said it was like 130psi but i dont know why she said to run race gas i dont think she knew much about this thing cause she never rode it very much but i dunno..as for the shifting i dont understand why i can shift without the clutch it doesnt grind or make any noise it shifts perfect without even using the clutch is it possible there is some kind of different tranny in it or will they all shift like that and its just not good for it?

well i had some VP C-16 race fuel in my garage left over from my mazda rx7 and i mixed some up to see how the shee would run on it and it wont run right it doesnt want to hold idle it drives ok but has bad throttle response and it dies when idleing..why doesnt it run right?

first of welcome to bhq

im not sure but it might be that the engine isint designed to run on race fuel because its still stock compresion.

id say get a set of itp holeshots front and rear because they r good alround or get a set of them a snow tires with new set of rims so if your going for snow u can just cange the rims over. 12inch swingarm sounds a bit to long... id say put the stock back on for the preformance coming out of that bike ud have alot more fun. stock a-arms wld also b good and asfor the fenders, cut fenders look nice but looses there purpos but depending on howmuch of a rocky area youll drive its up to you if you need new ones. i know it might seem ok to switch without the clutch but dont it still *censored*s up the tranny

yeah i want to put the stock swing arm back on cause im not going to be drag racing it..im gonna be riding in dirt and snow. I have the stock swing arm and chain and sprokets how hard is it to swap out the swing arm shock and sprokets? i built a mazda rx7 drag car and i know alot about cars but have no idea when it comes to quads it looks easy but i just wanna know what im getting into

if you can build a car, you can work on a banshee, they are simple, 1 bolt for the swingarm, 1 bolt for the linkage connected to the frame, 1 bolt for the top of shock and your whole rear end drops right off, rear sprocket you can chnage by just takin your left wheel off, and slide the sprocet off right over the axle, u dont even need to remove the axle

I've never done this before but my suggestion would be to put a jack under the frame with the tires still on loosen all the bolts to the swing arm and the jack it up a little a couple jackstands under the swingarm. remove the tires, sprocket and chain should already be off and then you could just pull the swing arm out. I'm not a pro. Just my thought process. I could be way off.