rz 500 engine in a shee....

well i migth be able to get my hands on an rz 500 that got wreked in the 90's and it still runs. i can have everything for a donor...i want to know if its been done befor and how hard it would be....ive done simular projects with sleds and im also a welder and pretty mecanicly inclinded towards small engines. now what would be needed??? any info on this would be great feel free give me other ideals

Ask over on PS. There is a guy some folks know of that has used an RG500 and RD500 engines in Banshee style frames. If you wind up not doing this, let me know how much you want for the wrecked bike. I'll buy it in a heart beat if it has a title. :biggrin:

ya well im not sure about having a title, and if it dont, i dont really care. if i do make this beast ill have to find a roller and i have one in line. i just need to budget and plan ahead. the base line for this project is to climb hills lol... soo looks arent gunna be in the cards ....kinda like makin a rat rod ..haha im tryin to get stuff together but. as i can see parts for this engine are really hard to find ..... even more to find an engine, electrical, and everything else thats needed... from what i know the guy might have 2 of them a blown one and a wreked one...long story short. he both the blown one to rebuild hes wreked one, and it got but aside. hes married and has no time. its not a for sure project but a maybe. its good to know if its been done befor .....

MacDizzy has some info on his site about a RZ 500 engine in a LT 250r frame or maybe a LT 500r frame. My only advice is do not do it, get both bikes and rebuild one good one, as stated, those bikes are very rare and when restored they are very valuable, one awesome piece of history.

They are a V-4 2 stroker and you would have to have custom pipes made for a conversion like that along with all the other modifying. It would be a fairly expensive project. The motorcycle salvage yards are full of big 1000 crotch rocket engines, that are plentiful and are of lesser value than the lesser common RZ 500.

It would be much more interesting to hear about a RZ 500 being restored than one being used for a hill shooter project.

Edited by RZBansheeMan

MacDizzy has some info on his site about a RZ 500 engine in a LT 250r frame or maybe a LT 500r frame. My only advice is do not do it, get both bikes and rebuild one good one, as stated, those bikes are very rare and when restored they are very valuable, one awesome piece of history.

They are a V-4 2 stroker and you would have to have custom pipes made for a conversion like that along with all the other modifying. It would be a fairly expensive project. The motorcycle salvage yards are full of big 1000 crotch rocket engines, that are plentiful and are of lesser value than the lesser common RZ 500.

It would be much more interesting to hear about a RZ 500 being restored than one being used for a hill shooter project.

I was gonna say the same thing, I've got pics somewhere, pretty sure it was a Zilla frame. I tend to agree about restoring it and selling instead, it would be worth a whole lot more and parts are gonna be scarce...course if I got my hands on one I'd shove it in a quad frame haha :evil:

well i tend to agree with u guys on rebuilding a good bike, but i had a freend that passed away on cbr 1000 and since then im iffy on crotch rockets.......well im sure u guys are goin to be glad on hearing this... the my buddys freend that was goin sell me this bikes finally made up hes mind last night hes makin a winter project and rebuilding a bike.... kinda dessapoints me, but in the end its for the best........

ahh wel gess that means ill gor big bore on ym shee thanks for yur help and comment

well i tend to agree with u guys on rebuilding a good bike, but i had a freend that passed away on cbr 1000 and since then im iffy on crotch rockets.......well im sure u guys are goin to be glad on hearing this... the my buddys freend that was goin sell me this bikes finally made up hes mind last night hes makin a winter project and rebuilding a bike.... kinda dessapoints me, but in the end its for the best........

ahh wel gess that means ill gor big bore on ym shee thanks for yur help and comment

You'll have more luck with the Banshee engine anyway. :thumbsup:

MacDizzy

They are a V-4 2 stroker and you would have to have custom pipes made for a conversion like that along with all the other modifying. I

I used to own a RG500...I had the fastest bike in Hollywood at the time!! It was faster than my friends RZ500.

Pretty cool spitting out smoke out of 4 pipes......Memories :cool: :cool:

Anyhow, I believe the Yamaha engine has a similar crank configuration as the Suzuki, but a different cylinder layout. The RZ is a twin crank "V" while the RG is a "square 4" design utilizing 2 cranks driven together. The Yamaha had reed induction while the RG was a rotary valve.

From an RZ500 site: "With it's twin cranks, the engine actually functions as a pair of 180-degree parallel twins geared together."

Custom exhaust costs were the limiting factor on those 4 cylinder 2-strokes. As much as I wanted to change out the exhaust on my RG, I didn't want to drop 2k on exhaust. At the time, I was running Spec IIs on my RZ350.

Kinda miss my "mosquito killer"....

Jay From SanD.