what the heck is it?

just pulled my friends clutch cover off of his 87 banshee to change the plates and noticed something odd. there is an extra gear. its platic and its above the clutch primary gear just a little to the left. i got curious because all the bikes i have evr had did not have it so i looked in the manual and it isnt even in there. can anyone tell me what the heck it is for?

thanks, adam

could be a tack gear. does your friends shee by chance have a rz350 motor or at least bottom end?

That's what I was thinking. I think someone who was mechanically inclined enough to take the clutch cover off would figure out the coolant coming from a port near the gear may be by the water pump. :confused:

That's what I was thinking. I think someone who was mechanically inclined enough to take the clutch cover off would figure out the coolant coming from a port near the gear may be by the water pump. :confused:

Smart and quick as you are, you thought wrong captain..... LOL

Just busting your balls.. :biggrin:

well i still say it is the tachometer gear. the bottom end may not be from an rz350 but i bet the cases are. do me a favor either post either the numbers on the motor or at least the first 3 digits. i can almost guarentee the cases on that motor are not the original cases (and you will know that by checking the numbers on the motor if they are the original cases the first 3 digits will be 2GU). :geek:

well i still say it is the tachometer gear. the bottom end may not be from an rz350 but i bet the cases are. do me a favor either post either the numbers on the motor or at least the first 3 digits. i can almost guarentee the cases on that motor are not the original cases (and you will know that by checking the numbers on the motor if they are the original cases the first 3 digits will be 2GU). :geek:

i think you are right. i just looked at the numbers and the first three are 1EL. so if this is a tchometer gear is there any way to hook one up to this bike?

no. its a butthole cleaner and they put one there because the yamaha guys are generally so full of shit that they figured it'd be helpful to have one there...... :evil:

I disagree. I think it is actually for a cable driven nut tugger.

Really, I still the cases might be from an RZ or RD engine. If so, there should be a funny looking cable drive output on the top case half towards the rear (on Banshees this would have a permanent rubber plug in it).

Does anyone remember how the oil injector pump was driven on the RZ's? I think it was through the waterpump, but I can't remember. :geek: