Teach me about chains!

Matt96shee

I put on some new Holeshots and found out just how bad my current chain and sprockets are!! So, school me up on chains. I see X-ring, O-ring, cheap, expensive....yada yada yada. Since I don't really feel like wrapping a chain around my ankle I'll spend what I need to for a good one. I think I want to go with stock gearing, 14/41 (I'm at 13 on the front now). Although I'm considering 15t front. Do I have to add links if I do that?

Thanks for the help!

Steel Sprockets...they last longer.

regina makes a nice chain, DID, ERT, etc.

Sidewinder makes a good chain, but several high HP big bikes break them pretty easily...from what I've read.

I think mine is a std. RK chain.

If you're gonna ride in mud or water, you want an X or O Ring chain...if you're just gonna dune it, non-Oring all the way IMO.

xring and oring are the same, it's just the shape of the ring in the pivot points. some say xring has more power robbing resistance but its not too much. any good oring chain will work well. RK chains are nice, DIDs are nice. Here's a picture of oring and xring. it's from a site selling xrings so they're trying to show how good xrings are versus orings but they both work well, just wanted to give you a visual on the cross section of an oring chain.

post-1345-1189804256.gif

edit: oh yea, Steel sprockets for sure. Just buy cheap ones, JT or something, don't need to spend a lot of dough, but it's recommended to buy a chain and sprockets together so they were together.

Edited by sredish

yea buy new sprockets when buying a new chain vice versa, yea u want to adjust links for teeth. If u have a stock swingarm a 520x120 should work 520 is ur link size and 120 is length u can pm me or post up on here when u get ur chain for cutting links

i know on my 125 it paid off to buy good stuff.

i had a renthal whatever they call it superlite thing. it was so light it was crazy. it also cost 150 bucks. that with a DID x ring chain and the best front sprocket renthal had. it was a 300 dollar drive setup, but when i sold the bike it had a solid year of riding on it, and they looked almost brand new. a lot of the riding was in shitty conditions like mud and water or soft berms and ruts so i was quite surprised for an aluminum sprocket