Valvoline synthetic brake fluid ok to use?

Jayy

Just wondering if anyone knows if its ok to use. I will be replacing my brake lines with SS braided lines, so i will have to drain, refill, and bleed them. I bought the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid at the local Advance. It says it is compatable with conventional brake fluids and exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4. Clymers recommends DOT 4, and so does the manufactureer. I am guessing this stuff will be just as good and wont damage or corrode seals, brake lines, pistons, etc. Am I right? Thanks for suggestions.

yea you should be good to go if it is compatible with dot3 and 4. Just stay away from dot 5. It is silicone in it and wont mix with dot 3 and 4. I run Motul Dot 5.1. It has the properties of dot5 but is is non silicone base and works with dot3 and 4.

Thanks. Yeah, it says its compatible with DOT 3 and 4. There is no mention of DOT 5 at all on the bottle, or any silicone content. Hopefully the brakes wont be too bad to bleed. I have done it before and do not look forward to it.

I run straight DOT5 but then again i cleared my system with it and thats all i use from now on. Expensive though. :ermm: Honestly though dot3 or 4 will do you fine.

Yea but the bad thing about regular dot5 is that when moisture gets in to they system it doesnt mix with the fluid. It ends up pooling at the lowest point. The bottom of the brake calipars. With dot 3 and 4 it will stay suspended in the fluid. You can bleed that out by putting in new fluid. Since the bleed screws are on the top of your calipars you wont ever be able to get the water out unless you take the braks off and clean everything up.

All brake systems eventually get some moisture in them.

yea you should be good to go if it is compatible with dot3 and 4. Just stay away from dot 5. It is silicone in it and wont mix with dot 3 and 4. I run Motul Dot 5.1. It has the properties of dot5 but is is non silicone base and works with dot3 and 4.

Word. I am still unfamiliar with the DOT 5.1 stuff though. :geek: