Liquid cooling and Danger Den

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I have some things to work on with the routing and neatness of things inside, but it is so hard to hide something in a clear case. So I did the best I could at the time. Plus this project took a lot longer than expected, so I was anxious to get it back together and running.

My Main monitor is a 22", and I like it just fine, I Cant see needing anything bigger. I dont write any code, so I dont see the need for a larger screen. I know/ Knew some DOS, but that system is mostly gone now anyway.

I do like the laser etch that danger den did on my case they did ok, but they did screw up a couple of things on the case that I can tell you about later.

Yes, it is hard to hind anything in a transparent case which is why I generly do not like to use them, that and I would probably scratch them up. Sure my desk looks clean now but wait a week lol. Be careful with those cathodes too, it seems like some of those converter boxes get hot and catch fire, which is why I do not like to use them anymore either, although I have not had a problem with them in the past. I'm really picky but I have been doing this stuff for some time now too! I would say you did a pretty good job hiding wires, most of mine are tucked behind the MB ;)

My Case is light with 2 Royal Blue LED's They are a deep purplish blue not like what you see in the pics looks much better in person. It was kind of a prototype but worked out extreamly well with my fan controller to dim them. They make anything Neo Glow jsut as well as a blacklight, but they will not make clear UV reactive stuff glow like you can with a blacklight. I was not expecting the results I got at all, it worked out better than it did on paper and I don't know why but it has to do with the fan controllers circuitry. I get full dimming and nice even lighting with the 2 LED's. (No Cathodes to Hide although I did have to hide a small box.) I cut the window myself rather than using the coolermaster;s factory window. I did not like the way it exposed the drive bays or PSU, so I copied the design but did it the "right way".

The tubing you are using is what I use for banshee coolant hoses lol. Yea it can take the heat but it is not recomended for computer water cooling. I don't remember if it was due to evaporation, sealing/flexability, Kinking, or just because it's a bit ugly with the re-enforcement. The tubing I'm using is the cheap Mc Master stuff 5/8th inch with all 1/2 inch barbs I think I got like 10 or $20 woth and have enough to do another computer still, if you search on [H] I'm ure it will pop up all over. Thanks for the compliments. I will be getting a graphics card next refresh, I believe the 7800 GT is faster than the ATI 1900XT to give you an idea but not sure about vs two of them, still it's not nearly fast enough to run bio shock with all the eye candy turned on. But with all the eye candy runing 1920x1080 the graphics look much better than they do on the X-box 360.

You have no idea how bad ass the 37" Westy is. :P I can view so many HQ posts at once it is crazy lol. 1920x1080 but large enough so that I can easily read small fonts. But playing games on a larger screen gives you a much better perception and feel. But best of all I tried a few HD Rips in MKV format (like divx only for HD I guess) and they look amazing. This monitor is doubeling as a TV in my bedroom though, just waiting for the HD cable box to try it out. I sold off my HD CRT TV to save space and this thing can work as a TV and monitor at the same time. However I would not go above 37 for use as a monitor unless you sit far away, although many are trying the 42" Westy since the 37 is discontinued. 37 @ 1920x1080 looks good but going larger and you may start to notice a drop in picture quality. Even a 24" has slightly more pixels but I find the text gets hard to read if you go too high on too small of a screen, I would NOT trade this for a 24" (1920x1200) , and yes their are tricks to incrase font sizes but it's not the same, for one, when you increase font size you fit less text on the screen which kind of defeats the purpose in jumping to a higher resolution in teh first place... 32-27 1920x1080 will give a nice sharp clear image with a DVI or HDMI cable from the computer to TV.

I just ordered some Audio Tech headphones AD700's, Logitec Z5500's, and a new chair http://cgi.ebay.com/Raynor-Ergohuman-Chair...1QQcmdZViewItem but I got it for a bit less. Damn I must be crazy or depressed or bored to be dumping cash like this right now. LOL I think I'll be done for a while with new video card once the refresh is here. I have a feeling it will be Nov/Dec (before X-mas). Followed by 2 or 3 1TB Hard Drives. I'm out of space with just a raptor 150 and WD 400GB.

Nice work, and hopefully you won't have any trouble. How many of those spiral enforcement things did you break before you got them on? lol. Get some Mc Master tubing to have on hand so you can change it out next time and it will really clean it up, you should not need those spiral thigns either.

Edited by Justintoxicated

pic 5

Check this out, if you flip your water block the other way (TDX right?) you can run that long coolant line to the CPU, then out of the CPU into the Video Card, and fromt eh Video card to (whatever the line on your CPU is runnign to). This should shorten up the hoses and and that hard bend to the video card.

Those type of chairs ypu are ordering are supposed to be the shiznit. I just cant spend that kind of money on one. I just have a Office max chair that is pretty comfy.

As far as the colored lines I have wrapped around my coolant lines, they actually do no reinforcing what so ever, they are strictly aestetic. But I did break a few installing them, but they are relatively cheap (5-10$). And I do have spares.

Good luck on your ebay bid.

What do you guys do to have such tricked out computers. I suppose it is what makes your money or is it just a really cool hobby? I remember DOS that was fun to play with. Now I only use email, word processors and 3D design software.

Well I do all kinds of stuff I'm a software developer.

My PC will be HTPC (Home Theater). Movies and music, and probably TV soon (waiting on the next gen of HD TV Tuner Cards to come out) This will allow me to turn the PC into A TIVO as well.

Gaming PC.

Developing code.

Browsing banshee HQ etc.

Hosting personal website and other server processes.

But my home rig I liquid cooled mostly to be quiet and because I ALWAYS overclock. Last PC I built was so loud I had to crankt he volume up on the TV to drown out the noise, which was always followed by complaints from roomate or my landlord late nights. Overclocking tends to mean more powerful fans to increase cooling. Well with liquid you can get some nice inaudiable fans and keep the overclocking high too. For example I bought my CPU for $260 (I dont rememebr exactly) and at the time clocked to perform the same as a $1000 CPU. So The net savings was $600, which I spent about $300 on liquid cooling. But the best part is, the next time I upgrade I don't really need to invest more in liquid cooling, unless I need to change waterblocks and I will do the same thing. The other great part is we get high ambient temps here in Cali, at which case any extra cooling efficiency helps. When I Overclock on air having 120 deg air blowing at the CPU makes it hard to cool, but with liquid it's easy to achive near ambient temps. The loudest part of my system is the Raptor HD. Sure you can buy a quiet dell computer, but by the time I make it do what I need it would not be so quiet anymore. Besides they are hunks of junk inside and they are all the same.. not unique. This PC has lasted for quite some time, and most people would still consider it really fast, however for the hardcore Geeks such as myself, it is technical a dog at this point. Need a quad core intel! But I'm going to stretch it out until I see my CPU actualy get fully utilized lol.

This is also another Hobby of mine PC's and technology in general. In other words, why do I need 85 HP for my banshee? Well I don't but it sure is fun to take for a ride!

dobboystoy, those spiral coil things actualy prevent the tubing from kinking they add even pressure to the sidewalls, which is what most people use them for. most people prefer to use none for asthetics but sometimes it is a more asthetic and easier way to prevent kinks than a bunch of zipties :) The loops are usualy closer together like this http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-h2o-120-compact.html

Purchasing this expensive of a chair was not an easy decision with the SSS tomarrow, but I kept looking at it over and over with my back aching so I bit the bullet. In reality it does make sense for me since I don't have couch etc so it's either bed or chair for me all the time.

BTW other than priming the pump the order of the components does not matter much in the computer since the liquid cycles so far it's all about the same temperature anyways no matter on the location in the loop. Generaly speaking.

• 2 weeks later...

I was afraid to put to much tension on those light wires, I thought I may break them (fragile), but i didnt need the support anyway with that braided water line. That sharp bend, actually, the way I cut it, supports the V card. I had to trim over and over to get the length right, but it doesnt pull or push that card.

The way my coolant flows is: from the radiator to the pump to the res. to the CPU, to the V card, and back to the radiator. So far no leaks, no problems. I hope that lasts for a few months to come, im not ready to open her up again.

BIOSHOCK rules, that is a kick ass game and I am so addicted. I have 2 levels left. It is refreshing to see a game with new ideas and I love the mix of new technology with old school theme. I will probably play it again after I beat it,,, I will have to harvest the little girls next time. Halo 3 comes out in a day, so I will hopefully find it at some store once I get around to getting it.

I still have not put in my second G card yet, so far I havent needed it yet (all games work great so far), and I do not have the second GPU cooler for it. SO I will put it in another computer and give it to my kid to play HALO 3 when I get it.

See ya Brotha

• 4 weeks later...

Nice I want to play Bioshock at native rez so i put it aside untill next month when I can buy a new card, or I might wait till the new series launch in Jan-Mar to upgrade. new cards will double in speed but I think might require PCIE 2.0 so I may have to build a new PC :( ... My 7800 Struggles really bad with bioshock at 1920x1080 but at lower resolutions its golden. But I want to play in 1080p!

In the meantime I have setup my cable box and 2 HDTV Tuners. I can now record / pause HDTV, parse commmercials and compress files burn them off drive etc unlike a DVR which is really limited in comparison. It also allows access to my entire media library all at the touch of a remote.

SageTV is awesome but my stupid Cable company is not allowing proper use of the Firewire ports on the cable box so I cannot record many stations including dicsoveryHD, I don't see how a DVR would work any better with the box working in this manner you can't jsut use an analog connection to record HD to a TIVO/DVR. So still some work untill I get everything working fully. I just need like 3TB in Hard drives so I can put all my DVD's on the PC and access them with the touch of a remote...

The Chair and z5500's are perfect for bedroom theater setup, not audiofile quality sound but perfect for my small room.

Just picked up one of these to eliminate my 8 or 9 remotes to activate the system.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-880...8495&sr=8-2

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the same remote I have, it is awsome. Once you get it set up, it makes life much easier and you only need one remote. The only issues I have right now are 1. the tilt sensor doesnt work anymore (must have been dropped too many times). 2. I can only upload one picture on it, but that is no big deal since I am not using it for a picture display device anyway.

Enjoy that new toy.

Thats the same remote I have, it is awsome. Once you get it set up, it makes life much easier and you only need one remote. The only issues I have right now are 1. the tilt sensor doesnt work anymore (must have been dropped too many times). 2. I can only upload one picture on it, but that is no big deal since I am not using it for a picture display device anyway.

Enjoy that new toy.

I'm to lazy to upload pictures on it anyways don't see much point lol.

Mine goes into "testing mode" often. like I will pick it up and it will restart or something. Is this typical or should I exchange it? I got a refurb so maybe thats why. other than that there are some minor other issues. Like if you use an activity to turn on all your devices, then switch to a single device, then you want to shut down all your devices there is no way to do this other than covering the remote with your hand (so as not to turn the devices off when going back to the activity) then hitting the off button. (otherwise the remote will think you jsut turned the devices on)

Still not much of a complaint since i don't have to take like 10 remotes with me to watch a movie lol. it really is a super remote even if it does go into testing mode every so often.

I also just bought a MB block for my MB because the fan is pissing me off now that I am using the PC for a media center. Now to get my 8800Gt (Does HD decoding and is nearly as fast as the 8800GTX for a fraction of the price)