Liquid cooling and Danger Den

I have ordered the Danger Den Water box plus.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php...at=1&page=1

I have bought a bunch of water cooling crap to put in the box, tons of lights and shiznizzle bling bling. :cool:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen these before. I am getting a couple of images laser etched into the Acrylic, on the top I am having a scary dragon put in the center, on the full side I am having eschers staircase. I hope it comes out sweet.

For the pump I have an acrylic see through pump, with red blood looking coolant, and a light in the pump to light up the coolant through the system. of course all of the hoses will be clear. I also have some green glow wire to spiral around the coolant lines. Then I have 6 Flourescent tubes of various colors (ultravilot, blue, red and green) I will have to see what looks best.

The guts to my computer are an AMD athalon 64 X2, Asusu Mobo 8R32-MVP Deluxe, ATI Radon 1900XT (512 Mb), 4 Gigs ram, 2 SATA HD (1 320Gig, 1 500 Gig). Running Vista 64 Ultimate on a 22" widescreen monitor, and a 17" above it all.

If anyone has done this before let me know any pointers you have on assembly. I will post pics once she is done.. I hope to put it together this weekend if my case ships in time.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ordered the Danger Den Water box plus.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php...at=1&page=1

I have bought a bunch of water cooling crap to put in the box, tons of lights and shiznizzle bling bling. :cool:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen these before. I am getting a couple of images laser etched into the Acrylic, on the top I am having a scary dragon put in the center, on the full side I am having eschers staircase. I hope it comes out sweet.

For the pump I have an acrylic see through pump, with red blood looking coolant, and a light in the pump to light up the coolant through the system. of course all of the hoses will be clear. I also have some green glow wire to spiral around the coolant lines. Then I have 6 Flourescent tubes of various colors (ultravilot, blue, red and green) I will have to see what looks best.

The guts to my computer are an AMD athalon 64 X2, Asusu Mobo 8R32-MVP Deluxe, ATI Radon 1900XT (512 Mb), 4 Gigs ram, 2 SATA HD (1 320Gig, 1 500 Gig). Running Vista 64 Ultimate on a 22" widescreen monitor, and a 17" above it all.

If anyone has done this before let me know any pointers you have on assembly. I will post pics once she is done.. I hope to put it together this weekend if my case ships in time.

My advice is to use Pentosin coolant 10 to 1 with distilled water. Most other coolants will allow for buildup or seperation over time and as you will find out it can be a bitch to drain and refill, and blocks can plug up if junk gets in there. Get Hose/Worm Drive clamps for all connections. I don't use a resevor as I feel it is just one more thing to mount or to leak.

Their PA Thermochill radiators are very good and I have not had any problems from my TDX block for CPU or Maze4 video card cooler. I did have them replace the first pump they sent because the adjuster knob did not work.

Not a fan of all acrylic cases here, I used a CM Stacker 810.

Oh yea might want to spend a little more on hardware and less on effects and case. My 2+ year old computer is:

AMD Opteron 165 Overclocked to 2700 MHZ x2

Raptor 150 + 400 GB 7200 RPM

2GB PC 3500

Nvidia 7800 GT

Thermochill PA 120x2 (wish I had gone with a 120x3 for the next upgrade)

DFI Expert

Enermax Liberty 680 watt

Custom Luxeon Royal Blue Lighting (similar to my ATV lol) but dimable.

Monitors I'm using 2 37" 1080P LCD's

I think my computer is a bit dated being that it is 2.5 years old now (other than the screens) :( needs more power and yes I feel it is a bit slow, but banshee is first.

Oh yea, definately jump the PSU and run the loop for at least a day after the initial setup to make sure there are no leaks before turning the computer on. Also Avoid mixing any copper blocks with Aluminum ones, it will really increase corrosion.

edit; One more thing, you can get masterclear tubing for like 1/10th of what they want for tygon! Get the 5/8th inch tubing and force fit it over the 1/2 inch barbs. General consensus is it is a better fit and quite flexable. I almost forgot, make your tubing runs as SHORT as possible.

Edited by Justintoxicated

What do you mean spend more on hardware?, I have 2 ATI 1900 Xt Video Cards (900$ for both) running in crossfire. I have an AMD 64 X2(2.2 GHZ on each core) processor. I have the best mobo I can get, Asus A8n32-mvp deluxe. 4 Gigs of ram (2 sets of matched pairs (400$). I have 900 GB of internal HD storage. I have a 22" widescreen monitor, and a 17" flat screen. I dont see where I could spend more money, I bought all of this 1 year ago, so It was top of the line at that time. The coolant equipment Was rated pretty good, and most of it was recommended by danger den and other sites. The only thing I would change about the cooling equipment I purchased is the size of the radiator, I want to go bigger, But am usure if it will fit in the case, So I will wait till I assemble it to see if I can squeeze in a larger radiator.

As far as the coolant goes, I didnt know about seperation, hopefully the stuff I got is good, it cost 35$ a bottle, and is supposed to be good shit. We will see.

I have had this system up and running for about a year and have had no hardware issues, except for one of my video cards, I need to send it in for repair, since its under warrenty, it shouldnt be a big deal.

I am still waiting on the case and a few other items.

I will take heed on your crap building up and pre clean everything, hopefully that will help prevent crap build up.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an Update on my PC status. Well,,,,,,,The liquid cooling seemed to be more of a hassle than I expected, but I got it done.. (Git R Done).

I had a few leaks initially and ended up gumming up the RAM slots. Only 2 work on the forst motherboard I was using. Pissed me off. So I tried to clean thewhole works with contact cleaner you can buy at advance auto. It helped but didnt fix everything. So I decided to Get a new MOBO with an Intel quad processor (2.4 GHz X 4) SWEET. But I had to buy the new type of RAM DDR 3 which cost 400$ for 2 gigs.. OUCH!!!.

I had to replace the Water pump I had beacuse that burned out, I had to get another reservoir because that one (acrylic) cracked some how.

Long story short It is all working and now this is my system:

Asus P5K3- Deluxe

2 Gigs corsair RAM DDr3

Intel 775 Quad core 2.4GHz

ATI 1900XT Video card (512Mb RAM)

1-320G HD

1-500G HD (both HD running in RAID0 together)

1000W power supply (a good one) forgot the name.

Lights and pretty things

And of course the liquid cooling.

I will post some pics soon.

Also, I will install the other PCIX ATI graphics card (1900XT) as soon as it comes back from repair. So Back to the dual G cards. :biggrin:

Peace out

Heres an Update on my PC status. Well,,,,,,,The liquid cooling seemed to be more of a hassle than I expected, but I got it done.. (Git R Done).

I had a few leaks initially and ended up gumming up the RAM slots. Only 2 work on the forst motherboard I was using. Pissed me off. So I tried to clean thewhole works with contact cleaner you can buy at advance auto. It helped but didnt fix everything. So I decided to Get a new MOBO with an Intel quad processor (2.4 GHz X 4) SWEET. But I had to buy the new type of RAM DDR 3 which cost 400$ for 2 gigs.. OUCH!!!.

I had to replace the Water pump I had beacuse that burned out, I had to get another reservoir because that one (acrylic) cracked some how.

Asus P5K3- Deluxe

2 Gigs corsair RAM DDr3

1-320G HD

Lights and pretty things

Also, I will install the other PCIX ATI graphics card (1900XT) as soon as it comes back from repair. So Back to the dual G cards. :biggrin:

Peace out

Good job, that was exactly what I ment bro. Now you have a fast PC. Although I'm not a fan of Asus Boards and overclocking, they tend to really blow, but I have had problems with every MB manufacturer at some point or another ;), I probably would have gone with the Abit Board, but I havenot researched that one specificaly, typicaly I really feel Asus boards are way over priced. Usualy the point in liquid cooling is to have a stable and large Overclock while keeping the CPU cooler than it would be witht he stock cooler. I thought the hardware seemed kind of out of date only because of what I am running and my system being out of date.

I have an AMD Opteron 165 Overclocked @ 2700 MHZ per core with increase FSB to match my PC4000 DDR (Yes this old DDR is actualy faster than some DDR2) In fact DDR2 or 3 or whatever is mostly a gimmic since they decreased the timings so badly (Higher number). But it is required on the new PC's to make people buy new memory. I'm guessing you decided to go with 2GB due to the 32 bit OS limitiations. 4GB Memory ONLY works correctly in Vista 64, not Vista 32 or Xp 32. Reasons is that some of the shared memory in the 4GB max comes from the video card ect, so your PC would likely only detect like 3.3 gig should you put in 4gb and not run Vista 64 witha 512mb card. I hope you purchased some quality Memory if you intend to OC. My PC is 2.5 years old right now and I'm wanting a quad core myself. However I think I can easily stretch it out for another 6 mo with my current system (its about as fast as an FX55 I believe). I'm sort of riding out the switch to vista 64 a little longer, because I do want 4GB memory in my next PC, but right now VIsta 64 has a tone of problems and lack of support. I would much rather have picked up a single 8800 GTS than 2 ATI cards myself. I'm not a fan of crossfire really, but I'm not brand loyal or fanboy either I switch back and fourth depending on what is faster at the time. Right now ATI is pretty far behind Nvidia.

I will try to get some pics of my system this weekend too I have been meaning to do it for like 2 years lol. My Room is all messed up haha and I don't want people to see it that bad! Remember to keep the tubing as short as possible without kinking it and to always run it for a day or so before booting up the PC. It wasn't that bad was it?

Are you going to liquid cool the video cards?

SHIT One more thing. Get those HD's out of Raid As soon as possible! For these reasons.

1) Raid -0 performance will likely be slower than a single drive if you do not have 2 matched drives.

2) You can get data corruption easier with mismatched drives, esp if the drives are not designed for Raid (IE Western Digital has a raid version and non raid version of each drive)

3) your losing nearly 50% of the storage on that second drive.

You would be better off using the faster of the two drives for your OS and using the other as storage. DO NOT RAID-0 Two Miss Matched Drives your asking for problems and slow downs there is NO enefit to doing so. Please take this advice here it is KEY in your new system. Theres alot of articles on storagereview.com if you have any Raid Questions or else I can try to help.

I had 4 HD's in raid 0 on a 4 channel card in the past. Seek times sucked but loading contigious files WAS faster. However your increaseing your chances at data loss by 4 (One drive goes you lose ALL your data on all 4 drives). Now Raid-0 does have it's place. I would love to pickup another Raptor HD and Raod-0 them for the OS. But I'll keep my data drives without raid unless i'ts Raid-5 or Raid-1. And rather than using Raid-1 I prefer an external USB storage drive to do automatic weekly backups to.

As far as that coolant, Price means nothing. Use it if you wish, but for anti-corrosion, and keeping nasty stuff from growing and keeping a nice blue color, Pentosin is the shit. use what you have if you want, but I would not put it in my loop. I'm lazy and don't like to clean blocks and replace coolant lines though. If you don't mind breakign it down in a year I'm sure you will be fine ;) After all Mc Master Tubing is cheap as hell I think I got enough for 3 systems for $20 shipped. Remember the Worm Drive clamps and that is is better to use 5/8th than 1/2 for a tighter fit, with possible exception being if you used 1/2 inch tygon jsut cause thats good stuff.

Asus P5K3- Deluxe

2 Gigs corsair RAM DDr3

1-320G HD

Lights and pretty things

Peace out

Get rid of the resovior and use a T-line like I suggested. Acrylic Resevoirs tend to crank/leak.

Did you test run the sytem like I suggested for 24 hours? I.E. Make sure there were no leaks or kinks?

Did your pump fail due to leaks? or did you get leaks from overheating due to pump failure. I'd go for the D5 if that is not the pump you got.

Did you use Worm Drive clamps like I suggested? Not sure how it leaked other than resevoir if you used those?

Did you use 5/8th inch tubing? It's much less prone to leaking when used with 1/2 inch barbs and you can get like 15 feet for $20 through Mc Master.

The Coolant you used that spilled on the memory slots was the non conductive kind? If so and it didn't work as advertised then thats another reason to just use pentosin.

I hate hearing Horror sotries, really scares others away from Liquid Cooling too. However it's probably a good thing, although it can be very reliable if you know what you are doing. Some of the new Mac's are even Liquid inside.

Also checkout www.hardforums.com or www.extremesystems.org rather than BHQ for advise. I tend to know the info, but I'm not 100% up to date like the info you would pull off a buisy forum.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: WOW, a wealth of info...

Actuall when I first was setting everything up, I used tye wraps (why,? I cant remember), I did have the hose clamps, just didnt used them at the time. Plus the Hose I was initially using was very soft and easy to kink. Well once I decided that the tygon was not thick enough, I went to lowes and bought some of the re-inforced food grade tubing. It is a little stiff, but it is hard to kink.

Yes I am running a GPU block on my Radeon. It is an Tyee brand block, and seems to work well. My Mother board temps seem to be much higher than my CPU, I believe it is running about 92F, Which I think is pretty cool (literally). My mobo was running about 102F, which still isnt that bad.

I did get rid of the Acrylic reservoir I origionally had, due to a crack in the frame (caused a small leak). I have a bay reservoir now, And I feel I need one, so that it is easier to fill the system, and it is easier to bleed out the air, and monitor the fluid level.

I only bought 2 Gigs of RAm because I almost shit when I saw the price, I paid 400+$ for 2 gigs. Now I have to say I am running Vista 64 Ultimate, and when I had my previous version computer I had 4 gigs for Coursair (2 sets of matched pairs), the system would only recognize 3.3 gigs Like you said. I do believe it was the Mobo that caused that, But I cant remember. But I know Vista 64 had nothing to do with it, because That is what I was running when I had 4 gigs on the MOBO.

Now you talk about that I will need to Change my RAID, what you say makes sense, but How can I remedy this without having to do a fresh install? I have no problem buying another HD, But will I be able to transfer my OS to the new configuration without messing it all up?

As far as the old pump, I am not quite sure what happened with it except the fact that it burned up. Maybe from Too Many start ups or shut downs? Maybe the coolant got in there too. What I have noticed with this coolant is, 1. yes it is non conductive 2. it is sticky 3. it is difficult to clean off. I probably wont buy it again. Once it got onto my mobo, it ran into every crevice it could find. That sucked sooo bad. I had to hose off that new board the first day (when I was bleeding the air out of the hoses), I went through 6 cans of contact cleaner, But she works now.

Thansk for the info.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: WOW, a wealth of info...

Actuall when I first was setting everything up, I used tye wraps (why,? I cant remember), I did have the hose clamps, just didnt used them at the time. Plus the Hose I was initially using was very soft and easy to kink. Well once I decided that the tygon was not thick enough, I went to lowes and bought some of the re-inforced food grade tubing. It is a little stiff, but it is hard to kink.

Yes I am running a GPU block on my Radeon. It is an Tyee brand block, and seems to work well. My Mother board temps seem to be much higher than my CPU, I believe it is running about 92F, Which I think is pretty cool (literally). My mobo was running about 102F, which still isnt that bad.

I did get rid of the Acrylic reservoir I origionally had, due to a crack in the frame (caused a small leak). I have a bay reservoir now, And I feel I need one, so that it is easier to fill the system, and it is easier to bleed out the air, and monitor the fluid level.

I only bought 2 Gigs of RAm because I almost shit when I saw the price, I paid 400+$ for 2 gigs. Now I have to say I am running Vista 64 Ultimate, and when I had my previous version computer I had 4 gigs for Coursair (2 sets of matched pairs), the system would only recognize 3.3 gigs Like you said. I do believe it was the Mobo that caused that, But I cant remember. But I know Vista 64 had nothing to do with it, because That is what I was running when I had 4 gigs on the MOBO.

Now you talk about that I will need to Change my RAID, what you say makes sense, but How can I remedy this without having to do a fresh install? I have no problem buying another HD, But will I be able to transfer my OS to the new configuration without messing it all up?

As far as the old pump, I am not quite sure what happened with it except the fact that it burned up. Maybe from Too Many start ups or shut downs? Maybe the coolant got in there too. What I have noticed with this coolant is, 1. yes it is non conductive 2. it is sticky 3. it is difficult to clean off. I probably wont buy it again. Once it got onto my mobo, it ran into every crevice it could find. That sucked sooo bad. I had to hose off that new board the first day (when I was bleeding the air out of the hoses), I went through 6 cans of contact cleaner, But she works now.

Thansk for the info.

:thumbsup:

I would ditch that lowes tubing it's not good at all, get the Mc master or thicker walled Tygon (will benearly an inch O.D I believe to prevent kinks). Nothing is kink proof, which is why sometimes you have to make longer runs rather than the prefered shorter ones. You can also use Zip Ties around trouble areas to help prevent kinking. The longer the run the more resistance in the loop which is why you want to keep length to a miniumum and use larger rather than smaller tubing. Also avoid making 90 deg bends, whenever possible, as they are very restrictive. Did you take a look over the [H] forums? Go to overclocking -> water cooled and look at all the setups questions etc....Honestly I would switch to the Mc Master Tubing and hose clamps (lowes has the worm/ hose clamps) The clip on type don't do shit. I know it's alot of work but I would really suggest changing the tubing as to prevent another incident, Nylon Tubing just isn't suited for WC a PC if I remember correctly. I think you will be topping it off frequently and the tubing will likely stain. Actualy first make a post on the [H] and tell them what tubing you used, they will be able to give you much better info on why not to use it than I can. I just rememebr reading that I should definately NOT be using the tubing from lowes. Invest in the Worm Drive clamps!!!! could save you $100's

Your best bet will be to re-install windows, unless you can buy a 1 TB drive and try to ghost the image over. I know this is alot of extra work, esp with changing the tubing again and re-testing the system. But your Raid config is honestly Garbage. It's always a good idea to test run the loop for 1/2 hour before installing it in the system. Then I like to jumper the PSU and run the loop installed for another 24 hours before starting the PC. I also vacume tested my loop to check for leaks lol, although a nice "leak Down Test" would be the better way to go.

Resevoir does bleed the air out of the system much faster, but if you are running for 24 hours prior to first turn on anyways, all the air will collect in the T-line anyways. I didn't notice much cooling difference from having a little air in the line anyways, so it's just a little noisy untill it bleeds out. T-line is even easier to refil/ monitor levels and top off than a resevoir. But Everyone even on [H] has their own opinions of resevoirs ;) You know mine!

I cleaned up my desk finaly this weekend (Bought those swiveling Costco Power strips and ziptied them under the desk so now I dont have kabillions of wires at my feet lol). Yea I'm a computer nerd, that is how I make my living. We are a rare breed of nerds who ride tricked out banshees lol. I thought I was the last of them! I'll try to get some pics, you can make fun of my hardware it's all old now :)

My mistake when setting up my ststem was using little bit of dish soap to lubercate the tubing to slid onto the barbs, Actualy it took some soap and heat from my heat gun to get the tubing on (It was pretty hard to get over the barbs which was definately a GOOD thing). Ended up with a little foam in the loop, although I later read that the slight bit of soap could actualy be a good thing (no foam anymore more so it was trace amounts). I also used like 2-3 times as much coolant as is recommended, but I don't care as I have excelent temps and have not had to touch it since.

Were you running vista 32 before when you had the memory issues? or vista 64? All Windows 32 bit OS have this stupid limitation. Could also be from the MB too I suppose although usualy a bios flash can fix thigns like that.

You pump could also have died if it was in the wrong place in the loop, and hence built up air in it. Typicaly - it is easiest if the pump is located under the T-line or resevoir and before the radiator or CP block. Basicaly the idea is to get it full of fluid before you turn it on for the first time.

my MB runs hotter than my CPU, and so does my video card! My MB does not have liquid cooling though.

Actually the tubing I got is really good stuff see part number at mcmaster ( 9336T3). The only problem is that it is rigid, but it will not stain. The tygon I had before was too thin in the wall, that was the major problem. Actuall we use a lot of this type at work for robotic air lines, and it holds up pretty well under stress. Of course we put it through more stress at work then it will go through on my PC.

I do have the worm gear hose clamps, I dont like the look but I prefer a crappy look to a leaky hose. Besides I get them for free from work.

As far as the memory goes, Yes I was running vista 64 at the time, I was dissapointed, but in a few threads I read, that Mobo at the time was the problem. I will upgrade my RAM on the new PC in a while (funds need to recover).

Yea, I need to figure out what Im going to do with this RAID setup, I havent figured it out yet. I like the idea of getting a TB drive and copying it over, but I will have to see the price :blink: . I dont feel much pressure at the moment because, 1. the PC is running smooth and Im taking a break from pissing with it for now. 2. I travel on the road soon and will be gone for a month, so I need to leave the wife with a reliable PC while I am gone. SO far she runs great. I havent begun to overclock yet because I want to get the drive issue worked out.

Right now If I were to back up the entire OS drive I would need 80Gig. So maybe I will back it up that way on a portable drive and then change the drive configuration, and then re- install... What do you think?

Yea the pumps intake needs to be comming off the res, otherwise it is hard to feed coolant to the pump, And then it would airate the coolant if it was hooked up wrong.

OK bro, gotta go.

:biggrin:

Actually the tubing I got is really good stuff see part number at mcmaster ( 9336T3). The only problem is that it is rigid, but it will not stain. The tygon I had before was too thin in the wall, that was the major problem. Actuall we use a lot of this type at work for robotic air lines, and it holds up pretty well under stress. Of course we put it through more stress at work then it will go through on my PC.

I do have the worm gear hose clamps, I dont like the look but I prefer a crappy look to a leaky hose. Besides I get them for free from work.

As far as the memory goes, Yes I was running vista 64 at the time, I was dissapointed, but in a few threads I read, that Mobo at the time was the problem. I will upgrade my RAM on the new PC in a while (funds need to recover).

Yea, I need to figure out what Im going to do with this RAID setup, I havent figured it out yet. I like the idea of getting a TB drive and copying it over, but I will have to see the price :blink: . I dont feel much pressure at the moment because, 1. the PC is running smooth and Im taking a break from pissing with it for now. 2. I travel on the road soon and will be gone for a month, so I need to leave the wife with a reliable PC while I am gone. SO far she runs great. I havent begun to overclock yet because I want to get the drive issue worked out.

Right now If I were to back up the entire OS drive I would need 80Gig. So maybe I will back it up that way on a portable drive and then change the drive configuration, and then re- install... What do you think?

Yea the pumps intake needs to be comming off the res, otherwise it is hard to feed coolant to the pump, And then it would airate the coolant if it was hooked up wrong.

OK bro, gotta go.

:biggrin:

Well here goes, the Royal Blue color really screws up my Camera, my Wall is not yellow! The blue should look more purple like, but not as much as UV, just a really deep blue, but again camrea picks it up as a really bright blue. Didn't clean it or anything it accumulates some dust on the front from the Thermochills location. Can you run Bioshock? It runs really choppy on mine, but I felt better when it ran much faster on a new quadcore with DDR2 at work, at a lower resolution too!,so I guess the video card is the bottleneck but it is old 3 years means it's time to replace. Monitor is really sharp not blury like in the pictures. I ended up returnign the second one. I do miss having dual screens, but I needed the money for my Cub! I would highly recommend that if you find a Westinghouse 37" 1080p TV/Monitor you purchase it! They are kind of rare though.

I want a new Camrea....

bansheeDesktop2.jpg

bansheeDesktop3.jpg

bansheeDesktop.jpg

NICE rig. My desk is not as clean (as I have kids and a wife, so that throws out cleanliness). I like how neat your waterlines look. I would deffinitely recommend a new G card, but money is always an issue. The G card I sent back, just came back. They replaced it with a new one, so I cant wait to get it in the machine. I do like your desk set up, it is nice. I am very picky about my desk's and I havent found one I like yet. I may have to make a new one, (I do wood working also), But that is for another day.

I took the pics, Just have to re size them.

see ya