Clutch Replacement and mods

Mudd&Moo

I'm replacing my clutch, basket, inner and outer plates. Sould I also do a shift star and shift mod, are they easy to do while im in their and what improvment will they offer. Waiting on a call back from F.A.S.T. Is their anything else I can Mod while doing clutch. Thanx

I'm replacing my clutch, basket, inner and outer plates. Sould I also do a shift star and shift mod, are they easy to do while im in their and what improvment will they offer. Waiting on a call back from F.A.S.T. Is their anything else I can Mod while doing clutch. Thanx

I put one of the FAST clutches in, plus the shift star mod, and it works great. The shift star mod is a good idea, just my .02. My transmission shifts a lot better. If you do it, you won't have to move the shift lever as far, to go to the next gear, and you can find neutral, when you need to. You might want to consider doing the pancake bearing mod while you're in there also, unless you want to risk welding the ball to the rod.

I did have a problem with 1st and neutral shifting. ill do the pancake bearing also wont hurt to do it and what about the shift shaft mod from fast what will it do and should i also do it to

I don't know about the shift shaft mod from FAST, but when you talk to him, just ask him about it. He has the best customer service, and he will tell you all about the shift shaft mod.

Im ported and i use regular clutch disc. Nothing fancy. I just put 3 HD springs and it doesnt slip one bit. I abuse it too.

rocky mount atv sells the Tusk(i think that's the name) clutch disc for like $45 or so. That's pretty damn cheap.

As for the shift star and shift kit, i just got mine in the mail yesterday. I'ma start installing it all tomarrow if i get off of work at a decent time.

I think you can use a 1 1/4 inch socket to get the clutch basket off. That's what i was told. Can someone verify because I didnt get mine off to see yet to try.

Edited by RagunCajun

I did have a problem with 1st and neutral shifting. ill do the pancake bearing also wont hurt to do it and what about the shift shaft mod from fast what will it do and should i also do it to

:evil:jeff told me the shift star mod and the "easy clutch mod" basically do the same thing so you don't need both...you might want to consider the straight cut gears and a lock up depending on how you intend to ride it...the clutch cover mod that allows access to the water impeller/drainage without pulling the whole cover such as the see through from Direct Drive CNC are very nice also...but, of course, all of this takes more and more $$$....dbr

for general riding like duing and some drags its pointless to get a lockup coiver to simply see your clutch. if your having to keep an eye on it that much you got more problems to be trying to track down.

and theres no need to straight cuts for what he is doing. just grab a billet basket and you willbe good.

once you start getting more hp then worry about a lockup and cover. until then there is plenty of mods you can do to gain power from.