Trail Tech Vapor

How did you guys hook up your tach? They list several methods in the manual. What did you do? Also, where did you tap into the banshees power system to get power for the vapor? thanks Phil

wrap the tach wire around one of the spark plug wire 10 times......

as far as power i bought a lil motorcycle storage battery ran it seperate form the banshee elec. system

just have to charge the battery once in a while

i put the battery in the airbox right behind the air filter...it fit pretty well

Dan

Ok cool. After you wrap the tach wire around the plug wire, did you cover it with tape or zip ties or anything to hold it there? I wonder if i could get a big piece of heat shrink on there. thanks again. phil

i covered it woth elec. tape.....kinda hides it being the plug wires are black as well.

make sure you just wrap the red around the plug wire and you ground the black wire.

also....very important....

when you initially turn the unit on and set it up you need to set the PPR(pulses per revoloution) to 2

because the banshee is whats called a dead fire motor,meaning it fires both plugs 2 times per revoloution.

i actaully had to call trail tech on that one....

and you will also have to slot the "C" bracket a lil to get it to fit and line up properly with the magnetic bolt in the hub.

one other final thing....

if you can, get a small battery to run the vapor......like i said i had a very small motorcycle storege battery when i had mine...

I only had to charge the battery like once a month....and i was riding it about 3 times a week at that time.

actually i still have the battery and its in pretty good shape if ya want it let me know.....

it fits perfectly in the airbox behind a K&N filter and pro flow set up

Dan

Edited by BansheeDan

Hey thanks for all the info. I figured out the ppm = 2 thing because i knew the banshee fired both cylinders every time. It was confirmed when i fired it up and it showed it was idling at 3200rpm. LOL I like your idea of using a small battery instead of the elec system, that way the backlighting will be more consistant. I have a 7.2 volt NiMh rc car battery i will try. I think it should work, the vapor instructions say it can use anywhere from 6-400 volt input. The only problem im having right now is an erratic tach reading. It seems to bounce all over the place. i think i am getting interferance from the plug wires. I am going to rerout the signal wire and see if that fixes it. Thanks again. Phil

Hey thanks for all the info. I figured out the ppm = 2 thing because i knew the banshee fired both cylinders every time. It was confirmed when i fired it up and it showed it was idling at 3200rpm. LOL I like your idea of using a small battery instead of the elec system, that way the backlighting will be more consistant. I have a 7.2 volt NiMh rc car battery i will try. I think it should work, the vapor instructions say it can use anywhere from 6-400 volt input. The only problem im having right now is an erratic tach reading. It seems to bounce all over the place. i think i am getting interferance from the plug wires. I am going to rerout the signal wire and see if that fixes it. Thanks again. Phil

are you using "resistor" plugs...meaning bR8es or bR9es??

if you are running the "non resistor"plugs ie b8es or b9es that could be your problem there as well,it did it with mine with "non resistors" as soon as i put resistor plugs in it cleared up for the most part.

also make sure you have a good ground.

Dan

Edited by BansheeDan

sounds like you guys got it figured out. yea, try the BR8s and see if that clears it up.

I didnt wrap the plug wires I went from the ignition box plugs and have good readings with the non resistor plugs

I did have a little trouble with the ppr settings though for some reason mine came set with the second setting set at 1124 instead of 0

All right, at this point I am pretty frustrated with this thing. I am thinking I have a bad unit, and i am going to call trail tech again and see if they will shoot me a new unit. To this point, here is what I have done. I first tried picking up the tach signal off the coil conection but the tach was very erratic. I tried rerouting the signal wire to minimize any interferance didn't help. i then wrapped the signal wire around one of the plug wires 5 times per instrucions. Same thing tach all over the place. I originally tried wiring the power for the unit into the bikes electrical system to keep things simple. At one point i had the power unhooked and noticed that the tach was a lot less erratic, but still not perfect. I wired the power to a small battery as suggested above, and at least everything is working now, but the tach is still not great, bounces all over at times. Thinking that resistor plugs would help (makes sense most cars run them for this reason i believe) not any difference from non resistor plugs. So either my banshee has the dirtiest electrical system ever, or my vapor has issues. Will keep you posted with what i find. I like the unit, and to be honest i dont have time to look at the tach while hauling azz anyway, but if its there, i want it to work. After my trip to pismo, I will get in touch with trail tech and see about exchanging the unit. It will pizz me off if i wasted all this time chasing the problem if it is the unit, but then again I wont feel like such a dumb azz if it is bad.