False Neutral In Almost Every Gear...HELP!

fast87

about 4-5 months ago i was riding the moses lake dunes with the g/f, then all at once my clutch lever went to the handle bars, i thought broken cable but it was fine, the shaft is moving at the top of the tranny..i let it sit while i worked on my stang, and about 3 weeks ago i pulled the side cover and found the clutch basket very loose, in fact i pulled it right off...the big nut came off(the tab bent back on the steel plate behind it), so i tightened the clutch basket on there as tight as possible with our weak impact and tried to bend the plate around the nut, along with some blue loc tite so it doesnt happen again. Anyway i took it for a ride and all is well(jetting was WAYYY off) except in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th when i decelerate it will pop into a false neutral..it worked perfectly fine and i've never had this problem with this before so any help is appreciated, maybe i left a spring off somewhere?? Sorry for being long winded, i just wanted to rule out bent parts unless i bent something using the impact wrench..

~Mark~

for a little more detail, the bastard wouldent start with a good 20min of kicking, so i had the g/f pull start me, we got a little over 2 blocks distance with it turning over before it fired up, for about the first block the clutch was grabbing but wouldent disengage, like something was stuck...after that it just started working normally again..i probably bent something during all this unfortunately, Thanks

~Mark~

did you or a previous owner have your transmission apart? if so it's likely that something was not put together right and came apart or is not sitting where it should be. Even if it hasnt been apart I'd still say take a peek at your tranny, sounds like something in there for sure. as for the clutch I dont have a clue.

The impact wrench shouldnt have damaged anything, Ive used it to tighten the clutch basket on my dirtbike several times with no problems, just dont go crazy with it, if you hold the impact wide open then maybe that did it :shrug:

now it doesnt want to start? dumb question but is something dragging or feeling like its getting stiff/seized when you kick it over or push it?

good luck :beer:

If you have teeth chipped or broken in the tranny that could explain why its intermittent and sometimes works. try draining your oil and inspest it for chunks of metal, or even filings could indicate a problem. a silver metallic color is ok, thats just the clutch but anything you can feel between your fingers is bad news.

When you took the clutch cover off & discovered the loose nut, did you make shure that evereything was lined up & rotating free before using the impact driver? Have you drained & inspected the oil yet?