banshee vs rz

do you mean speedometer output? i think that hookup in the back of the case is for a speedo and not a tach...i thought the wiring diagram showed the wire to the servo motor from the cdi also sends the signal to the tach. i think you covered the other two, no oil pump and different gearing.

i have access bnto a cheap banshee motor to put in my rz. i know the gearing is different and there is no oil pump. is there a tach output ? what other differences are there ? i know the head has different radiator out line.

do you mean speedometer output?

it could be but i know it has extra gears in the bottom for either tach or as he said speed. theres also alittle bit more electronics that go with it. theres a few people that run em on here im sure they will chim in sooner or later.

thought of another thing...the rz pipes use flanges to bolt to the heads where the banshee pipes slip on the heads. that could be a real pain in the ass for you!

i've got a spare set of rz jugs, head, and some other stuff...would you be interested in buying them? the jugs will need a fresh bore and the head is stock.

the rz uses a 17 tooth sprocket where a 'shee typically runs 12-15....i have one of those too, if you need it, pay shipping and it's yours. it's a little much for me in the woods!!! :evil:

i have access bnto a cheap banshee motor to put in my rz. i know the gearing is different and there is no oil pump. is there a tach output ? what other differences are there ? i know the head has different radiator out line.
Edited by Matt96shee

do you mean speedometer output? i think that hookup in the back of the case is for a speedo and not a tach...i thought the wiring diagram showed the wire to the servo motor from the cdi also sends the signal to the tach. i think you covered the other two, no oil pump and different gearing.

Nope. It is a Tach Output cable connector. Rz's pick up their speed sensor from the front wheel....

That I'm positive of...

Ahh a Banshee motor in an RZ, just the opposite of what I did heh :happy:

As mentioned, no the Banshee case does not have a hole in the upper case half or the drive gear for the tach; the casting is there but the bolt hole isn't drilled/tapped and the hole where the cable gear goes in is blocked off. Oil pump drive is blocked off with a nipple for a tranny vent, although the bolt holes are there and threaded for the oil pump. Gear ratios are different, and the RZ has a better drum & fork arrangement; the drum paths are radiused and the fork pins can rotate, on the Banshee the pins are part of the fork casting. Not a huge difference but a little smoother shifting on the RZ. Banshees don't have the pin & threaded terminal for the neutral indicator light in that little plastic housing on the end of the shift drum. As you mentioned the head water outlet points forward and not upwards, there's also not a thermostat or housing on a Banshee. As someone else said the exhaust outlets are spigots using two springs and an o-ring coupler on Banshees, RZs use a two-bolt flange and gasket.

One big thing is that the entire electrical system is different; nothing will interchange except the coil. Stator, flywheel, CDI and volt reg/rectifier/battery. So for the Banshee motor you'll need it with a stock stator, flywheel, CDI and voltage regulator at the very least, and that will provide enough power to run a headlight and taillight and not much else (stock is two 35W headlights and one taillight and they are dim at idle). Aftermarket stators are available though for better lighting, and if you dig far enough you might come across a lossless system that uses a battery.

I think that's about it, aside from the cosmetically different stator and water pump covers, well and of course the cylinders, powervalves, YPVS controller, and head: the pistons, rods, crank, clutch, kicker, intakes, carbs, etc. are all either identical or directly interchange, which can be said of the tranny and cases as well but the end result is subtle differences.