Need a little advice on where to start

I picked up a 2000 banshee monday for $500. It's got a set of FMF pipes, T.O.R.S. kit, and probably a few minor things, but have not pulled it completely apart to see exactly what. Complete and decent shape, but does not run. I think I figured out a few things, but would like some advice.

Head looks trashed. One side has a couple of holes eatend into it and both sides looks like they ran lean. Around the outside in the chamber area it looks like they were hit with a grinder. Pieces of metal are melted into them. No big deal though, I've got another good head here.

One piston looks almost new, and the other looks new just burnt alittle. The good side seems to have a little more play in it. The burnt side has a indentation in the jug. No compression, turns by hand, leaks down.

There was no oil in it just a milky water/oil combo. I guess replace all of the water pump since the gear is missing a couple of teeth and it was probably leaking. Should I try to soak the clutch in tranny fluid, or say screw it and replace it?

The idler gear just flops around like crazy, so I assume a new bushing and clip are needed? The shift linkage is just laying there though, still attached to the gear shift but nothing else.

Basically I'm wondering what ya'll would recommend, I'm on a budget and would like to have it a little nicer than stock, but not break the bank. Should I just go with a top end kit with some weisco's or build the whole thing? What else should I look for to be wrong with it. The wirings kinda messed up and may need a magneto.

I'll try to get some pics up in a day or so and maybe ya'll could get a better idea. Thanks in advance. Oh, who's the best person to get the parts from?

kinda depends on if your doing all the work yourself or having a shop do it. if your going to do new pistons then cracking the case to inspect eveything is but a tube of yamabond and a set of seals away....if your idler gear is floping around i would inspect the end of the tranny shaft it goes on cause they have a bad habbit of having the end that the snap ring and washer lock on chip off so there isnt enough material there to hold the snap ring on. if it were me i'd take the time to inspect the bottom end and put new seals in it while i was there that way you know it's all new...

does it look like it got bored out when new pistons were put in? What size pistons are they? The guy that you got the banshee from, did he look like he new banshees or was it someone that said their banshee could do 100mph?

I've tried a few times to save clutches, but they've basically always slipped somewhat and never had that grab as a good clutch. It could probably use a new clutch anyway.

Dont know if you have a round bore mic to see if those pistons are even the right pistons for the bore? Guy you got it from could've just tried to hand hone the cylinders and throw some new pistons in it and get it to run. I would definitely pull the jugs at least and find out. You'd be able to check crank clearances at that time as well.

500 dollars is still a good deal, dont know how the rest of the quad looks, but you could always part it out and probably almost buy a nicer banshee including the money that you'd be sinking into this one.

Well, I finally had time to pull the thing half way down. One piston and jug looks good the other piston is scrap. Although it looks almost new, I guess it got ran lean. It's burnt pretty good and the skirts are cracked pretty good. That jug has slight galling. What sucks is I found out that they are weisco's and it's already 66 mm. What's the best option here. If I can get by cleaning up the jug and re ringing I probably will and just buy one piston. I really don't want this to run hot. Should I look for two new jugs? Sleeve the jugs, or just buy one jug if I can get by. It will mainly be trails and dunes and I don't want to go through this agian any time soon. Thanks for the responses. I'm in TX too, just to let you know the climate around me.